Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fear The Walking Dead 2x01 "Monster" episode discussion...**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Super Moderator

UK

Fear The Walking Dead 2x01 "Monster" episode discussion...**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Please keep all talk of episode 2x01 "Monster" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Enjoy!

Directed by: Adam Davidson
    Written by: Dave Erickson

What with all the talk about the season 6 finale of TWD, who else almost forgot that a new season of Fear The Walking Dead was about to get started?

Administrator

England
    Is the "plane" episode now complete somewhere to see?

BTW for UK folks:-

UK Premiere Date Information

UK Channel: AMC Global

Latest/Next UK Season: 2

Latest/Next UK Premiere Date: 11 April 2016
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Uhbft2efho

Administrator

England
    ^^ Ta!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Netherlands
    ^^ Ta!
    You're welcome. Thanks for fixing my post, I messed up with the BB code, haha

UK
    Decent enough start.

Problem is for me that they keep missing out big old chunk of the start of the apocalypse so it is just turning into The Walking Dead version two. There is little new on offer here that we haven’t seen before, and we already have the first set of baddies “wanting what they have.” I wanted to see the slow decline and the WWZ experience before we got to surviving one day at a time that we have in TWD

The old Mexican guy is still the stand out character for me, and I like Nick but Chris and the girl could do with getting the Negan treatment. Overall the acting in TWD is light years ahead of this show.

United States
    Yes those 2 kids are so damn annoying, kill one of them off soon please. Nick and Strand are both good characters and well acted but Salazar is the character I feel is best acted/portrayed. Not a bad episode but hoping for much better in the coming weeks.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

England
    Pretty meh. Bit of a mess story wise
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Twitching

Undisclosed
    They said we would see the apocalypse, what we got instead was:
    episodes 1-3: a flu tearing the country apart, media silence, the undead sighted from time to time, a race riot and then...
    episode 4: nine days later, the group survives in a fenced off community as soldiers clear the streets of the undead and living who aren't in communities.
    This episode began with them destroying LA, we saw a few explosions over the horizon but the rest happened off screen. WE MISSED IT!!!

That said there's some potential if they stay at sea, the piracy thing is obvious but we could see what becomes of the navy, infested cruise ships and fleets which work to survive the outbreak.
    Last edited by Rottedfreak; 11-Apr-2016 at 01:34 PM. Reason: whadoesitmatter?

Rising

United States
    The "conclusion" was shown during one commercial break of the season finale of TWD last week, but at the same time the announcer said that we would get to see the fate of Flight 462 in Fear the Walking Dead. However, it was said in a rather vague way that would tend to (mis)lead you to assume that this would likely be shown during the first episode of this season, but it was not shown what happened to the plane (or at least I must have missed it if it was shown.) If they in fact did not show it anywhere during the season premiere, I guess it is yet another silly and unnecessary AMC trick to keep people tuned in.
    Last edited by JDP; 11-Apr-2016 at 02:30 PM. Reason: ;

United States
    Strand, Daniel, and Nick are by far the best characters.

It's also quite obvious what happened to flight 462; was revealed in the trailers.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Decent episode, but f**k me - Alicia! Talk about a liability! I know we've got the comfort of knowing how the apocalypse goes in TWD land, but seriously, FFS! Chris is a bit irksome, but just mopes around mostly, whereas Alicia is in cloud cuckoo land dreaming of kittens and unicorns - get real, lass, shit's going down! I hope her character straps on a bit of common apocalypse sense soon.

Good to see Travis take the harsh, but pragmatic route regarding that boat load of people. I mean, really, what could they have really done? They've got no real food on the boat, they don't know who is on that stricken vessel, if any of them are infected, or if any of them are liable to do something mind-bendingly stupid or just downright violent. They'd be vastly outnumbered and the situation could go south pretty damn quick ... harsh as it was, they made the right call.

Salazar is indeed the most intriguing character, with Strand a real mystery, and I dig Travis quite a bit. I also like Nick's character, and Maddie is cool by me ... Chris, Alicia, and Ophelia I don't care about, to be honest. Alicia kind of winds me up a bit, but there would be folks acting like that - especially teenagers - who are thrown into that kind of situation. But how long has it been since she had a wash? She's still got that ruddy heart design drawn on her arm from episode one!

The propeller to the walker's face was awesome, as was the bleak sight of LA being bombed ... but yeah, I think we've been cheated of some of this 'early collapse of society' stuff that we got some really good tastes of in the first three episodes. Even though we're still quite early in the apocalypse here, must be around about two weeks in, some of the chaos has been sidestepped or just been viewed from a distance, which is a shame. That really early downfall is the show's selling point ... I do fear *pun not intended* that Fear The Walking Dead will just become a very similar show to TWD. Time will tell ... there's interesting stories to tell, but as a series it's less compelling to me than TWD by quite a margin. I rather dig FTWD - it's more of that universe's goodness - but it doesn't hold me in thrall like TWD does. I love TWD. I like FTWD. Only fair to say, really, as FTWD is only 7 episodes old at this point.

Hopefully they can find a way to make FTWD stand out on its own, and earn it's reason for being.

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    The "conclusion" was shown during one commercial break of the season finale of TWD last week, but at the same time the announcer said that we would get to see the fate of Flight 462 in Fear the Walking Dead. However, it was said in a rather vague way that would tend to (mis)lead you to assume that this would likely be shown during the first episode of this season, but it was not shown what happened to the plane (or at least I must have missed it if it was shown.) If they in fact did not show it anywhere during the season premiere, I guess it is yet another silly and unnecessary AMC trick to keep people tuned in.
    Flight 462 is seen over the skies of LA in episode 4 or 5 of FTWD, IIRC - Nick is skulking around the area, looks up, and sees the plane banking from side to side. So time has already passed, the plane will have already landed a while before the events of this episode. Perhaps we'll see a flashback - maybe FTWD will employ those more liberally than TWD does (which is rarely)?

One of the cast of that 462 thingy will be joining the FTWD cast at some point.

Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    But how long has it been since she had a wash? She's still got that ruddy heart design drawn on her arm from episode one!
    Didn't she make a homemade tattoo of it in a later episode?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Didn't she make a homemade tattoo of it in a later episode?
    Correct. It's permanently tattooed at this point.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Being Attacked

United States
    I think a lot of the reason we didn't to see the collapse of society and the subsequent bombing and destruction of Los Angeles is simply because it would be to damned expensive to film...Fear's budget is much tighter than TWD...

Also would that boat propeller gag be a homage to Zombie Holocaust?? The only zombie movie to use a boat prop as a weapon! I almost fell off the couch when they pulled that stunt!!