Thread: Fear The Walking Dead 2x03 "Ouroboros" episode discussion...**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Super Moderator

UK

Fear The Walking Dead 2x03 "Ouroboros" episode discussion...**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Please keep all talk of episode 2x03 "Ouroboros" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Enjoy!

Directed by: Stefan Schwartz
    Written by: Alan Page

England
    Curious title...

The Ouroboros is an ancient symbol depicting a serpent or dragon eating its own tail. The name originates from within Greek language; (oura) meaning "tail" and (boros) meaning "eating", thus "he who eats the tail".

United States
    This episode needs to deliver.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    I can't see "Ouroboros" and not think of Red Dwarf, personally.

United States
    Cool to see how flight 462 played out and the connection to Abigail and crew. Chris giving mercy to the guy on the plane was nice. 2 whacks and he was still alive! A little tie in to the "guts" episode of Walking Dead. Overall a good epi, a bit much how they all escaped back to the boat, but some good bits this week.
    Last edited by Zombie Snack; 25-Apr-2016 at 10:26 AM. Reason: mistake
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie Snack View Post
    Cool to see how flight 462 played out and the connection to Abigail and crew. Chris giving mercy to the guy on the plane was nice. 2 whacks and he was still alive! A little tie in to the "guts" episode of Walking Dead. Overall a good epi, a bit much how they all escaped back to the boat, but some good bits this week.
    Yep, finally we see what happened to that plane.

It would have been better if Chris looked for Daniel, borrowed the gun and shot the guy in the head instead of whacking him to death. The way he killed him must have been painful for the poor fellow.

United States
    This was an improvement. Other then Chris wandering off on his own, I enjoyed his arc here. I kinda see where they are going with him. Even though Nick slipping into the pit was pretty cliche, his stuff was good too but then again, Nick's stuff is usually solid; I love that character.

Strand channeled his inner Winston Wolf during his first conversation with Travis and it was great. Also, Strand cutting the line from the raft at the end was brutal but in character.

I also really like the female survivor from flight 462. I'm intrigued by her and I want to see more.

A few hiccups like questionable character decisions and flat jump scares but everything tied together well here and just clicked. I'm looking forward to next week.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Generally better, I agree ... but still with some problems.

I wish we could have a teenage character in a TV show who wasn't a petulant arse who never listens to their elders. Yeah, I still remember what being a teenager was like, but I also remember listening to my folks for the most part and not being a complete idiot ... even if I did to plenty of silly things.

Just a few tweaks would ease/erase the annoying parts - e.g. Nick standing on that edge - it would play better if he wasn't right on the sodding edge and, from his viewpoint, it seems totally stable - but the camera cranes down to reveal a hidden hollow and an existing crack - then he goes down in the hole. Likewise with Chris, it would have played less annoying if he'd strayed fairly far from the others by accident - heard someone crying for help, but in such a way as it could be a trick of the wind, and gone in search after anyone else had drifted away from him without knowing ... rather than him just being an arsey arse who ignores sensible advice (in the zombie apocalypse, no less) and just goes wandering off. *sigh*

That said, Chris' smartening up (so it seems) was very welcome - hopefully we'll see him act more sensibly from now on - likewise with Alicia (who I'm still annoyed by after that radio stunt and all her mooning over that heart drawing on his arm), now that she's had to actively engage with what's going on and slay some walkers.

Loved Nick turning up all covered in blood and kicking ass. He's a consistently entertaining character - and well performed, to boot.

Still though, this episode felt like it had a bit too much filler about it. The season so far feels a bit drawn out ... hopefully this is rectified as the season gets into a groove (the preview of next week's episode on Talking Dead was rather intriguing).

The walker being munched on by crabs was kinda neat, and I'm interested in this Flight 462 chick - will we see more of her? Hmmm...

Still a couple of moments where there's sloppy editing or a curious lack of footage - e.g. when that dude who was bit on the ankle gets twatted in the face with an oar - we don't see him fall in the water at all - we just get a sound effect and an iffy edit. There's been a few of these coverage/editing issues cropping up on FTWD this season. Not loads, but enough to become noticeable and jar in the moment.

United States
    Hopefully Chris will understand what mercy killing is all about now that he had to put that guy out of his misery. And yes that crab Walker was pretty gnarley.

One thing that was truly great was the score in this episode. Very well done.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Hopefully Chris will understand what mercy killing is all about now that he had to put that guy out of his misery. And yes that crab Walker was pretty gnarley.

One thing that was truly great was the score in this episode. Very well done.
    Enjoyable episode, but I do get annoyed at people just putting themselves in harms way for no reason at all, and simply not even taking enough precautions to be able to get away. Grrr...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Enjoyable episode, but I do get annoyed at people just putting themselves in harms way for no reason at all, and simply not even taking enough precautions to be able to get away. Grrr...
    Like when they have to flee the approaching zombies in a hurry, yet they don't even have the inflatable boat ready to go and have to pick it up, turn around and head for the water. WTF??? You would think they would be more prepared to get away in a hurry by this point. Leave the damn boat at least ready in the right direction you are going to head to in case of an emergency.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Like when they have to flee the approaching zombies in a hurry, yet they don't even have the inflatable boat ready to go and have to pick it up, turn around and head for the water. WTF??? You would think they would be more prepared to get away in a hurry by this point. Leave the damn boat at least ready in the right direction you are going to head to in case of an emergency.
    Yeah, the boat did irk me - they dragged it awfully high up the beach, too! I know they don't want it to get washed away - but the tide was no further in (perhaps further out?) when they left compared to when they arrived. That aside, you're right - at least turn it around in preparation!

England
    Much better. Sloppy transition's between scene's still jump out at me. Not sure if that's a writing, directing or editing issue.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Ireland
    Ok episode.

Zombie smell bollocks.

People doing stupid things.

Weird cuts.

Still not sure if I like this show or not.

I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....