Thread: Fear The Walking Dead 2x05 "Captive" episode discussion...

Super Moderator

UK

Fear The Walking Dead 2x05 "Captive" episode discussion...

Please keep all talk of episode 2x05 "Captive" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Enjoy!

Directed by: Craig Zisk
    Written by: Carla Ching
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 09-May-2016 at 04:01 PM.

United States
    I didn't watch the first segment but I was kind of bored up until the final 10 minutes. Man, how cool is Daniel?

As far as the Weekend at Bernie's Walker...

'The Walking Dead' comic spoiler

Did they really steal Holly's death from the comics for this show? Really? I was looking forward to Sasha or Tara getting that death. What a waste.

The only redeeming factor was how cool Daniel was when he put that plot together in his mind.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 09-May-2016 at 05:21 AM. Reason: typo
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    I didn't watch the first segment but I was kind of bored up until the final 10 minutes. Man, how cool is Daniel?

As far as the Weekend at Bernie's Walker...

'The Walking Dead' comic spoiler

Did they really steal Holly's death from the comics for this show? Really? I was looking forward to Sasha or Tara getting that death. What a waste.

The only redeeming factor was how cool Daniel was when he put that plot together in his mind.
    With The Walking Dead I spend all day Monday avoiding the spoilers so I can watch it in the evening. With Fear I have for the first time read some reviews (on purpose) and am in two minds as to if I want to bother watching it.

As Game of Thrones is on I may just watch Fear when I have a break in the other shows I am watching. FTWD has quickly become as show that is not must watch for me I am afraid.

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeah, FTWD is just a show that I watch, rather than a must-watch can't-wait-for-the-next-episode type of affair (much like Game of Thrones is for me right now, or TWD is for me when that's on). I continue to watch Talking Dead in conjunction with FTWD, but man, it really feels like they don't have enough to talk about. The sheer number of asinine state-the-bleedin'-obvious Tweets that they cram into the show smacks of filling time. There just isn't the material to chew into on FTWD like there is with TWD, so 'Talking Fear' (if you will) is kinda dull ... it could be half the running time and be all the better for it.

Daniel was the best thing about this episode, but even still - ffs, could he not see that Chris wasn't capable of guarding that guy? It was written all over his face with big block letters! It was so bleeding obvious that Chris was gonna screw things up somehow - and Alicia - I really don't give a single shit about her character, she just iritates me even when she's not doing much at all.

Madison was much ballsier in this episode and had a bit more gumption, that had been a little bit watered down these last few episodes - so it was nice to see her getting a bit more gung-ho.

The chick from the plane ... I actually didn't like her that much in this episode. Her scene with Travis just felt, again, like it was a bit too soon in this apocalypse to be talking as if the entire world has ended - they're not even two weeks into this thing! There's still forms of government working! To be lamenting actions you've barely had time to think about, in a fashion that brings to mind a war vet years down the line, felt odd - much like these fish boat pirates being so quick to resort to all that they're doing.

And another thing - the plane chick told the pirates about Abigail - but it doesn't make a lot of sense. She never boarded beyond the little flat bit at the back, she didn't know where they were heading (IIRC, at least), and if the pirates had been quite close and picked her up quick then surely the Abigail's radar would have picked up the pirates? If not then they were far enough gone by the time the plane chick was picked up, in which case how would she know where to send them? Did I forget something - did she know where they were heading? She was kind of a bitch to Travis - it was Strand who cut the rope FFS! At least Travis tried to find a compromise!

The pregnant lady - absolutely cannot stand her. I groaned when Alicia ended up in the cage with her, but when she managed to lock her in I was well chuffed.

Nick's still the most interesting character in the whole show ... well, him and Daniel.

England
    I enjoyed this episode. It still has a lot of problems but it's getting better and better.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    She was kind of a bitch to Travis - it was Strand who cut the rope FFS! At least Travis tried to find a compromise!
    This was unclear for me too. She was watching when Strand cut the rope, so how could she think it was Travis who is responsible for cutting them loose?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    This was unclear for me too. She was watching when Strand cut the rope, so how could she think it was Travis who is responsible for cutting them loose?
    They completely ruined that character for me, just like that. She also looked like a completely different person. Sigh.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    They completely ruined that character for me, just like that. She also looked like a completely different person. Sigh.
    Yeah, I really took a sharp disliking to her character, especially with the whole moaning at Travis when it was actually Strand who cut her loose kind of thing. The dialogue felt a bit ... hmmm ... it sounded a bit too 'dramatic', and perhaps more the sort of way they'd talk months into the apocalypse, rather than after just a week and a half.

I was thinking about this whole FTWD and 'start' of the apocalypse thing. Might it have been a cool framing device to have each episode be a single day in the whole thing. So episode six is day six. It would mean you'd have to restructure the whole story that we have got, but from the very beginning, might that have been a more interesting presentation - and tied it in much more closely to the whole original purpose of being the start of the apocalypse.

At times it seems as if some of the writers think they're writing a TWD episode - by which I mean, much further into the apocalypse - whereas the show is right now coming up on two weeks at the most (the passage of time is a bit unclear), so some of the actions don't fit the timeframe. Also, as I said in a previous thread, it would have been fascinating to see it unfold from a governmental perspective too, rather than just another group of civilians - we've got that already and done very well indeed in TWD - FTWD feels increasingly like it's missed several opportunities to be it's own show, and to give us an alternative perspective on this particular apocalypse. It feels like one of those incarnations of CSI more and more, now.

Ireland
    The show is really suffering from bad writing, pacing, plotting and whatever you're havin yourself.

Society has fallen apart way too quickly and people are putting their Mad Max viewings to good use already. So, I agree with the general senitments here. Too many folk are slotting into this is how things are now.

That being said, 'Fear the Walking Dead' could have/be a good show. I think it's held back by the above issues and lack of money. It feels like it's the offshoot that has been given life because somebody threw a few bob at them from the petty cash drawer in the main office.

Some of the characters are quite good. I like Nick, his ma, Strand and the Nicaraguan lad. Others are decent too and Alicia's a fine looking bird. But, there's not much for them to do, cos there's no money to make it. It's like 'The Walking Dead - nautical edition' at the moment, cos showing a city is out of the question, budget wise.

It's a show everyone wants to like more than they do, I think and while people may piss and moan about 'The Walking Dead', they largely do so, because the like it and when it misses the beats, they know they can do better. People don't really care about 'Fear the Walking Dead' and it's more like, meh whatever. The show has gone from 10 million for last series opener to less than 5 for the last episode, which is still very good, but it's a hell of a drop.

As for this episode, it was alright. But the zombie trade off was ridiculous. Seriously, one zombie can get the jump on two large men (that somehow had no guns with them?).
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    The show is really suffering from bad writing, pacing, plotting and whatever you're havin yourself.

Society has fallen apart way too quickly and people are putting their Mad Max viewings to good use already. So, I agree with the general senitments here. Too many folk are slotting into this is how things are now.

That being said, 'Fear the Walking Dead' could have/be a good show. I think it's held back by the above issues and lack of money. It feels like it's the offshoot that has been given life because somebody threw a few bob at them from the petty cash drawer in the main office.

Some of the characters are quite good. I like Nick, his ma, Strand and the Nicaraguan lad. Others are decent too and Alicia's a fine looking bird. But, there's not much for them to do, cos there's no money to make it. It's like 'The Walking Dead - nautical edition' at the moment, cos showing a city is out of the question, budget wise.

It's a show everyone wants to like more than they do, I think and while people may piss and moan about 'The Walking Dead', they largely do so, because the like it and when it misses the beats, they know they can do better. People don't really care about 'Fear the Walking Dead' and it's more like, meh whatever. The show has gone from 10 million for last series opener to less than 5 for the last episode, which is still very good, but it's a hell of a drop.

As for this episode, it was alright. But the zombie trade off was ridiculous. Seriously, one zombie can get the jump on two large men (that somehow had no guns with them?).
    Very well said. The potential is there and I can overlook the smaller scale because the premise is pretty unique to the genre but skipping all the interesting moments was a huge mistake. This show should focus more on the zombies. The undead should be frightening and have our characters on edge. It's only a couple weeks and everyone is already comfortable with the zombie apocalypse. Believe it or not Chris is the only character that's effected with everything that's happened.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 11-May-2016 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Added

Super Moderator

UK
    Some good points being made here, and I agree with most/all of them.

*sigh*

Come on FTWD ... sort yourself out, yeah?