Thread: Fear the Walking Dead - Almost at the point where Rick wakes up.

Just been bitten

Scotland

Fear the Walking Dead - Almost at the point where Rick wakes up.

I am really struggling with the show. It is mid-way through season 2 and apparently we are almost at the point where Rick wakes up and sets foot into the world of the walking dead.

http://dailydead.com/exclusive-fear-...s-second-half/

I was hoping for a slow burn apocalypse. The first 3 episodes had teased what I hoped would be the story arc for seasons 1 & 2.
    In episode 1 we had the hints that the authorities knew the dead were walking. In episode 3 we got some eerie imagery as the group drive post the hospital. I had hoped there would be lots of great pre-realisation imagery of what was happening in season 1. The scene where Curtis and his neighbour stick out their wheelie bins... that was telly gold.

Then for some reason the writers/AMC decide we need to rush shit along to the apocalypse proper by episode 4. This show had the potential to offer up all the stuff the movies couldn't. Everyone knew it was to be a prequel, so I doubt people would have been too gutted if by the end of season 1 the world was not on its knees. There is so much stuff I would liked to have seen that we'll never get now. It would have been great if they were holed up in the house for a while until the telly stopped working. We could have got news from all over the world. The proper end to season 1 would have been the power going off.

With everything we know now, the writers could have given us a week by week apocalypse. Each new season being the next week for a 5 season run.

Season 1 - The realisation of what is happening. Episodes 1 - 6 in the same vein as episode 1 - 3. Then the power goes out.
    Season 2 - The military turn up, stick up the fences and expand on the quarantine of the city and the clearances of the suburbs. The sinister side of the operation becoming known mid-season.
    Season 3 - Cobalt, the downfall of that particular military operation and the escape to the seas as the military just decide to burn everything.
    Season 4 - Life on the sea. We could have had a whole lot of crazy shite going on. The military carrying out cobalt on the seas, A cruise ship of the dead story arc and a whole load of cool bits n bobs. like meeting the survivalist guy and expanding on that until his island sanctuary is disturbed by the dead in the sea-side town venturing out towards their temporary safe place.
    Season 5 - We get a better story of the dry-dock governor and the rescue, the second half of the season is the journey to Baja and they can all live happily ever after in what looks to be the perfect place to live out the end of the world under the loving governance of Tom and Strand. Hell, chuck in some military from the region to make it look even safer and end the story there.

I love the walking dead. I don't want to just watch the walking dead West-Coast for the sake of more top zombie telly. I wanted this to be as promised. The story of the outbreak and AMC have failed to deliver in my opinion.

What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by MagicMoonMonkey; 11-Jun-2016 at 05:38 PM. Reason: edit

United States
    I agree 100%.

This show had so much potential. It's not as bad as others say it is, let's be real. There is far worse out there. It's just that the rush storytelling really opened up some pretty bad plot holes and characters aren't really left with any room to breathe and evolve organically. Bottom line, we didn't get what was promised.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."