Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: DVD & Blu-Ray Purchases Thread - (DVD's! Do you buy them New or Used?...)

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

DVD & Blu-Ray Purchases Thread - (DVD's! Do you buy them New or Used?...)

Or are you just a leech?

I ask because with the huge selection of films on DVD I wonder if people tend to leech more, buy them new or used.

I myself buy based on my like for a title, or interest in the film. FOr something I really enjoyed I am at the store on release day plopping down $20 to grab the newest release.

For older films, and hard to find films I usually go to game stop and buy off the used rack. The staff knows me pretty well and let's me check disc quality before walking out the door or deciding on a purchase. Lately I have been plopping down the cash for used DVD's. $100 usually nets me around 15 discs in decent condition. My last venture I left with 10 discs for $81.50 including tax.

Leeching... yes I do that too. Mostly for films I had no interest in seeing or owning for that matter. A film like the Movie version of the Dukes of Hazzard was a download for me, whereas the TV episodes where a purchase.

So what do you do when you buy DVD's? Stick to new, go used, or all of the above?

WE NEED A POLL FOR THIS!

*Why can't we have a simple button to add polls to a post?
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Hmm, well, I do my share of both. If I like a movie, I will pay for the DVD, but since there's hardly been anything likeable coming out of hollywood the past few years, i've been leeching more than in the past.

As far as new/used, I don't care which they are as long as they're fairly inexpensive (under $20 for a single-disc movie) and they aren't scratched to hell. I own quite a few Bl*ckbuster previously owned movies, as well as many new in the box movies. As long as they're playable..

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Usually new.

True, most of the recent stuff isn't any good but they still release older(good) films on DVD. There's something good being released at least once or twice a month. There are some webistes that fill me in on this...

United States
    99% of the time I go the "new" route. Every once in a while I'll get a "Previously Viewed" disc of a movie I didn't feel like paying full price for. The most recent being "Vampires: The Turning". I've also gotten some really good deals on new & unopened older DVD's on eBay.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Vampires: The Turning, Thats the second sequel to John Carpenter's Vampires correct?
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Super Moderator

UK
    I buy them new, I don't think I've ever bought a used DVD, maybe once I did, but that's it. I always buy them new, I used to buy some used videos (ex rental), but with DVD once they're scratched they're f*cked and most people renting DVDs are still getting used to their opposable thumbs and have the fingering skills of The Thing in Fantastic Four, so I don't really fancy dropping cash on used DVDs.

The closest I get to it these days is joining those DVD rental trials and copying the DVDs I rent on the free trial, haha, what a cheapskate (but I can't afford to buy a lot, or even a little, these days).

As for which DVDs I buy brand new, I go for films which are dead certs in my book, something I know is worth it and that I know for a fact I already love or will love once I get it. Back at uni, with the loans coming in every semester, I'd buy a lot of "I'll try this out", which fortunately had a 70% hit ratio, but sometimes I just stand there at my shelves-o-DVDs and think "why oh why did I buy that?" when I could have just downloaded it instead.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311
    Usually new.

True, most of the recent stuff isn't any good but they still release older(good) films on DVD. There's something good being released at least once or twice a month. There are some webistes that fill me in on this...

True, there are some good older TV shows and things I like to have on DVD, which i will gladly pick up when they come out (c'mon Briscoe County Jr. & The Tick animated series! ).

Movies are another animal though. If it was made pre-2002, it might just be worth getting.

LC

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG
    Vampires: The Turning, Thats the second sequel to John Carpenter's Vampires correct?
    No, that was "Vampires: Los Muertos". "Vampires: The Turning":

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0398378/

Tagline: For 100 years a war has raged between good and evil. It will end tonight.

Plot Outline: An American muay-thai fighter in Thailand must join forces with a group of vampire hunters to track down and kill a vampire lord who has kidnapped his gilfriend.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Well it would be the second sequel. The first sequel to Vampires would be Vampires 2 (Los Whateveroso) so this would be the second sequel.

Original: Vampires
    Sequel # 1: Vampires 2
    Sequel # 2: Vampires 3

ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    Well it would be the second sequel. The first sequel to Vampires would be Vampires 2 (Los Whateveroso) so this would be the second sequel.

Original: Vampires
    Sequel # 1: Vampires 2
    Sequel # 2: Vampires 3

Whoops !! Sorry, it's early & I misread your original post . Yeah, I guess it would be the "second" sequel to Vampires .

No matter what it is I bought the "previously viewed" copy from Blockbuster because the movie wasn't half bad & also because Stephanie Chao & Meredith Monroe are smokin' hot .

Christmas Island
    I always buy DVDs new. Just about every used DVD I've ever seen is always scratched to hell as if the last owner used it as a frisbee with his dog.

As for leeching, considering how hard it is to make a buck these days and the lack of respect Hollywood is showing for this issue by deficating their templated movies on us, I leech whenever I can and never regret it for a second. Not that I leech that much anyway since the majority of titles released these days are barely worth the download time. Of course if the movie is really good, which is like never, I would buy it on DVD.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusIncredulous
    I always buy DVDs new. Just about every used DVD I've ever seen is always scratched to hell as if the last owner used it as a frisbee with his dog.

As for leeching, considering how hard it is to make a buck these days and the lack of respect Hollywood is showing for this issue by deficating their templated movies on us, I leech whenever I can and never regret it for a second. Not that I leech that much anyway since the majority of titles released these days are barely worth the download time. Of course if the movie is really good, which is like never, I would buy it on DVD.
    Ya know... I bought Walk the Line when it came out on DVD and Conderella Man, and to be honest those were the last decent films I have seen in a long time. However, cars was the most recent good flick i have caught. Everything else is garbage.

I watched a preview for a new Keenan Ivory Wayans film and I was like WTF are they thinking. The preview was crappy, the premise looked stupid yet the audience found it to be hilarious. I sat there counting in my head 2 minutes until it went away.

The movie is about a midget who acts like a baby to find some missing diamond or something. Anyway, Films like this keep getting made while decent stuff rots in development hell.... WHY WHY WHY?
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    I buy new dvd's, but only when they are 10 dollars or less. Will usually check the bargain bin at walmart or wait until best buy runs a 3 for $20 deal on older movies.

Some of the DVD box sets are great deals. 50 or more old black and white movies for $20 - lot of entertainment for the money.

Christmas Island
    Ya know... I bought Walk the Line when it came out on DVD and Conderella Man, and to be honest those were the last decent films I have seen in a long time. However, cars was the most recent good flick i have caught. Everything else is garbage.

I watched a preview for a new Keenan Ivory Wayans film and I was like WTF are they thinking. The preview was crappy, the premise looked stupid yet the audience found it to be hilarious. I sat there counting in my head 2 minutes until it went away.

The movie is about a midget who acts like a baby to find some missing diamond or something. Anyway, Films like this keep getting made while decent stuff rots in development hell.... WHY WHY WHY?

Isn't that Wayans film a Bugs Bunny cartoon? I bet those filmmakers are acting like they had an original idea or something.

Ahh, this is what they ripped off:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvP-fhfd-fI
    Last edited by MaximusIncredulous; 27-Jun-2006 at 01:02 PM.

United States
    <ahem>TDR<ahem>