Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Justice League (film)

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    ^ the film itself is divided into six or so chapters, so you could watch a chapter or two at a time. That was my original intent, maybe split it in half, but it pulled me in more than I expected, so I rode it out.
    I'm about two and half hours into at the moment Bassy. But I might leave the last couple of chapters for tomorrow night. It's alright I suppose. Pretty much on par with the previous two movies in that it's a mildly entertaining superhero movie.

I did end up just cropping the picture and it's lost nothing as far as I can see. So far the entire thing has been pretty comfortable to watch and I have only noticed about three instances so far where the cropping has blatantly interfered with the framing of the picture.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    I’m so torn on this scene. It’s obviously a new addition and done on the cheap, so it has it’s issues, but I love the idea behind it. It’s also great to see Leto get another chance without the bling, and Affleck friggin roars as the bat. I’m excited we get to see more of him in The Flash, should it ever make it to production.

Speaking of Affleck....the epilogue scene on the yacht. It was originally meant to directly set up Affleck’s solo Batman flick that was later replaced by Matt Reeves’ idea. So, was this restored just to keep the original presentation intact, or is there a possibility that Affleck will still get another shot? Although the movies have divided reactions, most people seem to dig the Batfleck.
    Yeah, Affleck rocked as Batman. I never understood the flack he got from certain quarters (although it seems a regular thing for a new Batman actor to get grief and have to prove himself), he did a great job. Also, yeah, nice to see a less 'iffy' Joker. All those tatts and bling was overkill, even though I did enjoy Suicide Squad (flaws and all).

It does tease the audience quite a bit, that epilogue sequence, but hey, if it helps get WB to bring Snyder back to finish off his Justice League story then that's okay with me.

The yacht scene - I believe it was restored to this original version to just be true to what it was intended to be. I suppose, if they did a follow-up JL movie now, you could have a version of what was intended for the Batfleck solo movie considering some of the epilogue - so that could work nicely for a subplot.

I really would quite like to see a follow-up JL movie now. There seems to be a lot of fans saying the same thing.

Ireland
    So I ended up finishing it out last night and come away thinking that it's a bloated mess, but not one that's without its entertainment value. But there's just too much and there's a feeling that it's droning on and on at times. It's certainly feels better than what I can recall of the theatrical release which is something I suppose. But it's not the second coming either like some would have you believe.

In the end, Batfleck was probably the best thing about it and The Flash was well done by Ezra Miller. I'd like very much to see Alfeck reprise the role in a more focused Batman movie series. But one without stupid alien/god shite, cos that really kills things for me I have to say. Keep things more earthbound like Nolan's trilogy, which is still the high water mark for all superhero movies. Frankly, it's probably only the Batman dynamic that kept my interest in the whole thing.

But WTF is going on in that ridiculous epilogue future scene? That was just awful and so, so, unnecessary.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    But WTF is going on in that ridiculous epilogue future scene? That was just awful and so, so, unnecessary.
    It's the second 'Knightmare' - following on from the one we saw in BvS.

It's setting up things to come (or not, depending on what WB do from this point forward). It is Bruce Wayne's nightmarish vision of what could come to pass (and what would likely happen in a sequel or sequels) ... an apocalyptic superhero situation.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 22-Mar-2021 at 05:29 PM.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    It's the second 'Knightmare' - following on from the one we saw in BvS.

It's setting up things to come (or not, depending on what WB do from this point forward). It is Bruce Wayne's nightmarish vision of what could come to pass (and what would likely happen in a sequel or sequels) ... an apocalyptic superhero situation.
    Well sure. But it just feels so extraneous here.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Well sure. But it just feels so extraneous here.
    I wouldn't say that.

Perhaps it feels a bit odd as it is part of an epilogue - the climax of the movie has passed and this is other stuff bolted onto the end, so instinctually it feels out of place.

However, it also feels like a bit of a pitch, in a way - but a pitch that is public and there to garner audience response. I feel there's a game afoot, not a nefarious one, but a Hollywood game where the studio are the mark instead. The Snyder Cut proves that the 2 hour Whedon cut was a total blunder, and I wonder if the epilogue is partly a way of Snyder presenting where he wants/wanted to go, directly to the audience, so that WB will take note.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Because Warner Brothers is serious about making HBOMax a real streaming contender, I could see a situation where they let Snyder continue his story in some fashion. Of course the high production costs would be an issue, but if his Justice League and upcoming Army of the Dead prove to be profitable streamers, they could probably work something out. In a world where Marvel has it’s major players on TV, I could see the Snyderverse getting a more appropriate ending.

Given how JL plays as episodic and leans into Snyder’s more adult ideas, I feel like giving him some room to breathe on HBOmax would be a winning scenario for all parties. After all, just a year or so ago Warner Brothers were saying there was no way we’d ever see the Snyder Cut of Justice League, yet here it is. Throw him some episodic money and it’s guaranteed streaming subscriptions.

I wouldn’t mind a Justice League: Knightmares type of mini series. Episodic adventures set in Snyder’s universe, done relatively cheap, giving his trilogy more closure, while also keeping it entirely separated from theatrical releases that are going in more traditional directions.
    Last edited by bassman; 23-Mar-2021 at 10:09 AM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Given how JL plays as episodic and leans into Snyder’s more adult ideas, I feel like giving him some room to breathe on HBOmax would be a winning scenario for all parties.
    As an audience member, this line reminds of the tagline for Alien vs. Predator:

Whoever wins... we lose.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    As an audience member, this line reminds of the tagline for Alien vs. Predator:

Whoever wins... we lose.
    Good one! To each his own, but it may very well happen. We live in a world where Helen Mirren has just signed on to play the villain in Shazam 2, so I wouldn’t be surprised if Snyder is able to finish his story in some fashion.
    Last edited by bassman; 24-Mar-2021 at 08:28 AM. Reason: .

Great Britain
    Watched it today and it's fine, way better than the Joss Whedon one, I'm pretty much in agreement with the Red Letter media guys review.

As they pointed out the wonder Woman theme evertime she does something really does stand out.

Super Moderator

UK
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sqOBaw5CQM

VFX comparison study between the Whedon and Snyder cuts.