Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Justice League (film)

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    JL is 120 minutes because Warner Brothers not only demanded that it be more light hearted, but there was a mandate that it be under two hours. Just so they can squeeze in one extra screening a day. Ugh.....They really need to stop meddling with the future DC films....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    JL is 120 minutes because Warner Brothers not only demanded that it be more light hearted, but there was a mandate that it be under two hours. Just so they can squeeze in one extra screening a day. Ugh.....They really need to stop meddling with the future DC films....
    Mmm ... meddling is not good. Wonder Woman was longer and did jolly well for itself! Length doesn't determine quality either which way.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 20-Nov-2017 at 05:18 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    BvsJ, SS and now Justice League. That's three strikes in a row for WB meddling causing trainwrecks.

Still, fascinated to watch.

Meanwhile, Ben Affleck has said that he wants out of it. No wonder, you can see the pain in his eyes as he realizes it's all shit.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    BvsJ, SS and now Justice League. That's three strikes in a row for WB meddling causing trainwrecks.
    Still iffy logic there as you're forgetting the success of Wonder Woman that took place between Suicide Squad and Justice League. Three in a row? Factually inaccurate, I think you'll objectively find.

Plus, BvS and Suicide Squad raked in 700, 800, plus million dollars just at the box office (home media and merch not included). Split opinions? Certainly. Without fault? Certainly not. Successful? Arguably, yes.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Still iffy logic there as you're forgetting the success of Wonder Woman that took place between Suicide Squad and Justice League. Three in a row? Factually inaccurate, I think you'll objectively find.

Plus, BvS and Suicide Squad raked in 700, 800, plus million dollars just at the box office (home media and merch not included). Split opinions? Certainly. Without fault? Certainly not. Successful? Arguably, yes.
    Forgot about WW which I've only heard good things about.

But the three tent-pole titles have all been fiascos. (plus SS)
    Last edited by EvilNed; 21-Nov-2017 at 08:36 AM. Reason: sfds

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The truth is really coming out now. This film was doomed before they even started working on it. It's amazing it came out like it did considering all this....

https://www.thewrap.com/justice-leag...-wonder-woman/

The execs wanted Snyder out, but stuck with him and refused to push the film's release because they didn't want to lose their year end bonuses! When Snyder left they basically had Whedon butcher the film as much as he could to make it "more like Avengers".
    Last edited by bassman; 29-Nov-2017 at 11:11 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    The truth is really coming out now. This film was doomed before they even started working on it. It's amazing it came out like it did considering all this....

https://www.thewrap.com/justice-leag...-wonder-woman/

The execs wanted Snyder out, but stuck with him and refused to push the film's release because they didn't want to lose their year end bonuses! When Snyder left they basically had Whedon butcher the film as much as he could to make it "more like Avengers".
    Movie executives bugger up a sure thing? Where have I heard that one before?

They can't seem to get out of their own way, can they? It's a bloody shame, so it is. Although, to be fair, there were other issues that made it a bit of an arse up, too. Hopefully JL will get an alternative and extended cut on home video that'll resolve some issues and I'll buy a copy. I wish they and everyone would realise that DC isn't Marvel, and nor should it be. I don't want yet more Marvel movies on top of the whole bunch of actual Marvel movies that we've got (and are lined up for the future). I want the DC movies to feel different and to hit harder than Marvel (and the Marvel movies aren't without their own faults).

It's weird that they say Wonder Woman wasn't bleak - well, yes and no. What Wonder Woman actually did was balance the light and dark elements. The humour was in the fish-out-of-water moments and the stuff between the two leads, but we also had some pretty tough and gritty World War I stuff (plus a hideously scarred scientist who was creating poisonous gases), and hell, that nice little town they enjoy gets gassed! But WW balanced the light and dark elements. Marvel tends to struggle with the dark stuff, or when it tries to go dark it usually ends up not working as well because of so much fun and humour that is spread elsewhere. Occasionally they can pull it off (the emotion in Guardians of the Galaxy 1's opening, and the sequel's close, for instance, or the moral grey areas of The Winter Soldier - one of Marvel's very best entries), but generally they skew to the light.

I do think it was time for Snyder to step aside (albeit not under such terrible circumstances - I hope he and his wife are coping as best they can, considering ) ... and with a fresh roster of directors working on future projects (and Jenkins returning for WW's sequel), I hope that Justice League proves to be the final lesson that needs to be learned. Seems as if JL was clouted by a lot of external factors beyond its control and then a lack of focus/decision plagued it further.

I'm yet to see it, and I hope they release a better version on home video - that I'll definitely buy. Snyder's extended cuts of both Watchmen and BvS were superior to their theatrical versions.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 30-Nov-2017 at 10:24 AM.

Ireland
    Thought Wonder Woman was pretty shite myself. It had a poor opening, an ok middle and an awful ending, complete with obvious and terrible villain.

Mystified at the goodwill it's received.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Thought Wonder Woman was pretty shite myself. It had a poor opening, an ok middle and an awful ending, complete with obvious and terrible villain.

Mystified at the goodwill it's received.
    The 'big CGI villain' finale did fall into the usual trap that many superhero movies stumble into (Marvel has their own particular one about battles in the sky), but the character of Diana Prince/WW was the most interesting aspect and her journey into the real world beyond the borders of her birthplace. The odd couple dynamic was good, the action was slick, there was a good balance of humour and darkness and thundering set pieces, it had heart, and the WWI setting provided something a little bit different (with added poignancy) to all the present day superhero smash 'em ups. The clash of early 20th Century Britain with her home was entertaining as well as informative.

It has faults like any other movie, and it probably is fair to say it got some added praise because of the gender aspect (especially in these times of everyone scrambling over each other to signal their virtue the loudest and clearest of all on social media), but it's a well balanced and enjoyable superhero flick with an iconic character at its core who could kick ass & take names, be emotional, be funny, make some pointed remarks, as well as handle being a fish out of water.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    ...but the character of Diana Prince/WW was the most interesting aspect...
    That seems to it though. There was really nothing else in it to write home about and personally, I thought the WWI aspect was pants.

Give me 'Man of Steel' any day.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Jeeze these comparison reshoot scenes stand out so bad. The photography is so inferior, but it also looks like Affleck might have slipped back into drinking again....

http://media.comicbook.com/2017/11/j...n-1054547.jpeg
    Last edited by bassman; 02-Dec-2017 at 09:27 AM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Loosely related because of it’s DC comics affiliation, a look at Joaquin Phoenix in Todd Phillips’ Joker origin movie:

I think Heath Ledger’s turn as the character kind of taught everyone to reserve judgement until footage is available, but it looks okay to me, I guess. I may not be the biggest fan of the blue around the eyes, but it’s not a deal breaker. I’m more interested in how he’ll play it. Besides....the look isn’t as bad as Jared Leto’s...

Administrator

England
    Jeeze these comparison reshoot scenes stand out so bad. The photography is so inferior, but it also looks like Affleck might have slipped back into drinking again....

http://media.comicbook.com/2017/11/j...n-1054547.jpeg
    They got the button on his jacket right!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Loosely related because of it’s DC comics affiliation, a look at Joaquin Phoenix in Todd Phillips’ Joker origin movie:

I think Heath Ledger’s turn as the character kind of taught everyone to reserve judgement until footage is available, but it looks okay to me, I guess. I may not be the biggest fan of the blue around the eyes, but it’s not a deal breaker. I’m more interested in how he’ll play it. Besides....the look isn’t as bad as Jared Leto’s...
    Re-imagening the Joker for the third time in about 10 years is probably not the most fun thing to do for a production designer.

Administrator

England
    So Zack Snyder's 4hr cut has been released to good reviews!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan