Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek Discovery (TV series)

Administrator

England

Star Trek Discovery (TV series)

Details appearing - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37043956

Female lead and set 10 years before the original series.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    So the rumours were right.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Between Enterprise and TOS. TOS is by far my favorite series, TNG at #2, but the rest are really take it or leave it, IMO. So hopefully it'll more TOS and less Voyager/DS9/etc

Administrator

England
    Meet your new captain, Jason Isaacs - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/77396
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    The buzz around this is very very promising. Creative Trek nerds seem to be in control from top to bottom.
    Can't wait till tomorrow.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    The buzz around this is very very promising. Creative Trek nerds seem to be in control from top to bottom.
    Can't wait till tomorrow.
    Also amped. But creative Trek nerds is not always a good thing. Simon Pegg had considerable sway over Star Trek Beyond, which wasn't really anything stellar.

England
    Fanfeckingtastic
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I thought it was great. But damn, for a Star Trek series it sure started off dark.

Administrator

England
    Yeh, not bad...

Although two things grated with me.
    1) The new Klingons t-a-l-k-i-n-g s-o s-l-o-w-l-y...
    2) So the Klingon ship lights up like a star and people light years away can see it after minutes instead of years? Has the speed of light changed over the next couple of centuries?

But better than Voyager's first episode(s) if I recall, and that turned out very well! So fingers crossed!
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Thought the 3rd episode felt rather flat and clunky...
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Today it was announced that Alex Kurtzman(Star Trek 2009, Transformers, Cowboys & Aliens) has signed a five year deal to develop an “expanded Star Trek Universe” for CBS, one of which will be led by the return of Patrick Stewart’s Captain Picard from The Next Generation.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/41...shows-with-cbs

They stress that the deal with Stewart hasn’t been finalized yet, but it’s looking like it’s going to happen. I’m more of a fan of the original Enterprise crew, but Stewart was no doubt fantastic on TNG and fans would no doubt be thrilled to see him return. Kurtznan’s filmography is hit or miss, probably with more misses, but IIRC he’s quite the fan of Trek and knows it’s history quite well, at least.

Another possibility is an animated series centered around Khan Noonien Singh. ....there are more characters in the Trek universe, FFS! Enough with Khan! The idea of a series during the Eugenics Wars would be interesting, but after bringing the character back with mediocre results in Into Darkness, it’s best to just let it rest for awhile.

In the meantime, Season Two of Discovery is set to premiere sometime in early 2019. I still haven’t seen the first season, so I need to catch up before then...
    Last edited by bassman; 19-Jun-2018 at 08:57 PM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Make it so!

ps: I game up on Discovery... Felt shallow and frankly daft...
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I didn't really like Discovery either. It wasnt' bad, but at times the writing was really bad.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It’s now confirmed that the new Trek show on the CBS streaming service will indeed be a further exploration of Captain Jean-Luc Picard’s journeys and once again portrayed by Sir Patrick Stewart. No title or any other information at this point, just that Stewart is officially on board.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/patr...-trek-show-229

This has definitely gone a long way in getting me more excited for this series!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    It’s now confirmed that the new Trek show on the CBS streaming service will indeed be a further exploration of Captain Jean-Luc Picard’s journeys and once again portrayed by Sir Patrick Stewart. No title or any other information at this point, just that Stewart is officially on board.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/patr...-trek-show-229

This has definitely gone a long way in getting me more excited for this series!
    Great news. It also mean, for the first time since Nemesis, that we'll return to the late 24th century.

If they follow Patric Stewarts aging, which they might as well, the show will be set in 2395.

Furthermore, speculation time;

With the evident destructive weather patterns lately (I.e; Man-made climate change), it wouldn't surprise me if they picked up on a thread started in Season 7 of TNG; Episode Force of Nature.
    In it they discover that Warp technology is slowly tearing the universe apart. In effect; They either have to start limiting Warp travel or face disastrous consequences to the entire universe. Much like us and air travel.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 05-Aug-2018 at 09:59 AM. Reason: fdssfd