Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fear The Walking Dead: SEASON 2B (2x08-2x15) discussion...

England
    In the TWD show with the walkers falling into the quarry, did any of them get up and walk? I can't remember...

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzbomb View Post
    In the TWD show with the walkers falling into the quarry, did any of them get up and walk? I can't remember...
    I think with the quarry, IIRC, there was a steep slope around most of it - so steep enough to stop them from clambering back up, but not steep enough to seriously injure/kill them. I'm sure some went off the cliff edge and got splattered down below, but I seem to recall the logic of that quarry pit being much more sound and acceptable to the viewer.

On a few occasions we've seen walkers falling on TWD. One that springs to mind is the Season 4 premiere - where the walkers fell through the roof of that supermarket - there we saw the sheer chance, the flip of the coin, of their landings. We saw numerous ones go head first into the floor and their heads burst like water melons under a sledge hammer, while others were seriously wounded (e.g. one broke both it's ankles to such a degree its feet were barely still attached, so it had to crawl after people on its belly). There was variety to how they landed.

Likewise in Season 5, when Daryl and Carol go into the city to try and find Beth, they go off that bridge in the van (the drop is a bit iffy in its execution across the cuts, but so what), and then a bunch of walkers rain down upon the van and they're all either killed by the fall (head trauma) or they're incapacitated.

Meanwhile in FTWD you had them dropping from a greater height (or perhaps equal to that of the Atlanta city bridge), and yet they aren't snuffed out or even seriously injured/incapacitated. Sure, a human being has been known to fall from such great heights and survive - but without injury? One time in a billion that might happen under simply extraordinary circumstances.

It was cool to see the walkers stumble to the balcony and go over - but them getting up uninjured (or at all!) was a piss take.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 02-Sep-2016 at 12:27 PM.

United States
    MZ said it best. The quarry had that slope so most just slid down to break the fall. With easy fixes and adjustments to the writing, the hotel scene could have been pretty damn cool. Just gotta take it for what it is and that's a shame. They could do much better.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    3.66 million for 2x09 - another (slight) drop from 2x08's 3.86 million (down from 2x07's 4.39 million).

2x10: Do Not Disturb

A decent episode. They're still not really doing anything you couldn't have happen on TWD beyond locations, but I liked the backstory to the hotel and using the keys and knowledge of it to block off areas and keep safe from those that the hotel lady had crossed.

Rising

United States
    I suppose that next week we are going to be shown how in blazes did Strand and Madison get out of the zombie invaded bar. Let me guess: a trapdoor behind the bar, a la Shaun of the Dead?
    Last edited by JDP; 05-Sep-2016 at 04:48 PM. Reason: ;

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    I suppose that next week we are going to be shown how in blazes did Strand and Madison get out of the zombie invaded bar. Let me guess: a trapdoor behind the bar, a la Shaun of the Dead?

Sounds like a plan to me.

United States
    I really dislike how the zombies are being portrayed on this show. They seem more Hollywood and have that baked in angry look; the jump scares are also a bit much.

I really do like Travis. He's a genuine nice guy. It's refreshing in not everyone needs to be portrayed as a badass. Not to mention the actor is really good.

Did not like the hotel backstory. The instant death to angry zombie is another example of that "Hollywood" style of zed.

Alecia wasn't bad here, her counting the zombies was a cool touch but didn't come into play at all.

Hey, at least they did show us that "some" zombies didn't make the fall from the balcony as splattered corpses littered the pavement as Alecia looked below. Haha.

Again, not terrible but nothing really sets this show apart yet other than scenery and zombie flaws. Here's hoping for a strong finish.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    I really do like Travis. He's a genuine nice guy. It's refreshing in not everyone needs to be portrayed as a badass. Not to mention the actor is really good.

Did not like the hotel backstory. The instant death to angry zombie is another example of that "Hollywood" style of zed.

Alecia wasn't bad here, her counting the zombies was a cool touch but didn't come into play at all.

Hey, at least they did show us that "some" zombies didn't make the fall from the balcony as splattered corpses littered the pavement as Alecia looked below. Haha.
    1) Me too. Travis is one of my favourite characters on the show, and the dude playing him is great in the role. Don't really give much of a shit about Chris, though, the kid needs a bloody good slap. I did like the inclusion of those three other guys and that scene in the car where Chris is up front with them - you can see how easily someone like Chris could be seduced over to the dark side of the apocalypse. Indeed, gradually following it along that vein would make/have made a hell of a lot more sense than how quickly he turned into a nutjob over the course of Season 1 and 2A.

2) Yeah, the 'insta-zombie' element pissed me off. It smacks of not bothering to go to the effort of engineering the scene around the virus.

3) A shame that her counting meant sod all, yeah - because she instantly runs into two batches on either side. And who does scores like that?! It's four vertical and one diagonal for five, you silly sausage!

4) Yeah, I noticed one there ... but not showing it in the episode where it was actually happening, nor really showing any of them seriously damaged by the fall was just daft and a bit lazy.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 06-Sep-2016 at 09:31 AM.

Administrator

England
    OK.. Finally watched episode 8...

Not too bad, although I do get annoyed at times at characters mad behaviour. eg: Bad jeep dude who noticing Nick in the crowd of zombies then basically did what the baddy in Austin Powers did when the steam roller was approaching; Rather than just moving, he stood there and stood there until he was killed - Bit silly...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    OK.. Finally watched episode 8...

Not too bad, although I do get annoyed at times at characters mad behaviour. eg: Bad jeep dude who noticing Nick in the crowd of zombies then basically did what the baddy in Austin Powers did when the steam roller was approaching; Rather than just moving, he stood there and stood there until he was killed - Bit silly...
    Yeah, that bit did fudge me off - just step back slowly as you reload, mate, rather than stand there. Yeah, he might have been a bit wigged-out by the sight of someone living walking with the dead, but dude ... surely he's seen plenty of crazy stuff in the last two months to not be paralysed with fear/confusion at this point?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Yeah, that bit did fudge me off - just step back slowly as you reload, mate, rather than stand there. Yeah, he might have been a bit wigged-out by the sight of someone living walking with the dead, but dude ... surely he's seen plenty of crazy stuff in the last two months to not be paralysed with fear/confusion at this point?
    He was rattled by Nick, and as stupid as that was, what was his buddy's excuse who ALSO just stood there haha.

It's amazing how much potential this show has and how much it's hindered by lazy writing. I actually liked episode 8 more than these last two but the issues people complain about are getting exposed more and more as the series goes on. I'm still rooting for it though, dammit!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    He was rattled by Nick, and as stupid as that was, what was his buddy's excuse who ALSO just stood there haha.

It's amazing how much potential this show has and how much it's hindered by lazy writing. I actually liked episode 8 more than these last two but the issues people complain about are getting exposed more and more as the series goes on. I'm still rooting for it though, dammit!
    The dogs scene was cool!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Dying

United States
    Maybe it's just me, but I think the last three episodes have been the strongest yet. I like the locations (Mexican deserts, the hotel setting, the new drug lord warehouse) and splitting up the characters for more diverse arcs was a wise choice. (Vs. everyone on a boat!)

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    The dogs scene was cool!
    The majority of the scenes in that episode were "cool" and well shot, but the problem is that all those situations we are shown were the result of Nick turning into either a moron or a suicidal maniac for some unexplained reason. His decisions in that episode made very little sense for a normal person who is perfectly capable of rational thinking and still values his life. Just "lazy writing", as many keep pointing out.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    The majority of the scenes in that episode were "cool" and well shot, but the problem is that all those situations we are shown were the result of Nick turning into either a moron or a suicidal maniac for some unexplained reason. His decisions in that episode made very little sense for a normal person who is perfectly capable of rational thinking and still values his life. Just "lazy writing", as many keep pointing out.
    And in some cases a very minor tweak would give enough reason for an action - e.g. Nick sleeping beside the vehicle shell rather than on it. You could tweak it so that Nick stumbles up to the thing completely exhausted. He sees the roof, tries to climb up, but is simply too weak to do it - so he slumps down beside it and passes out. Then the thing continues as-is, with him waking up to find dogs attacking him, and a sudden burst of energy gets him up onto that roof.