Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Dawn '78 US box office

Fresh Meat

Aaland

Question Question about Dawn '78 US box office

Just curious... I had heard from a source that when this film opened in the US in Spring 1979, it held the top #1 spot until "Alien" knocked it out a few weeks later. Is there any truth to this? I tried to find some "Week/Weekend box office numbers online for this period but couldn't get anything.

On a side note, even though this film was successful, it's too damn good of a film and I think it deserved to do "Alien" and "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" numbers, but I figure that the lack of rating played a part in this.

Ireland
    'Alien' (released May 27th) knocked 'Beyond the Poseidon Adventure' (released May 18th) off the top spot, which it had taken from 'Manhattan' (released April 25th), which took it from 'The Champ' (released on April 8th).

I don't think 'Dawn of the Dead' (released April 20th) got to the No.1 spot at all in 1979.
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 25-Aug-2016 at 11:23 AM. Reason: .
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    With the film being unrated or "X" in some cases, it never stood a chance of going to number one against the large studios...

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    'Alien' (released May 27th) knocked 'Beyond the Poseidon Adventure' (released May 18th) off the top spot, which it had taken from 'Manhattan' (released April 25th), which took it from 'The Champ' (released on April 8th).

I don't think 'Dawn of the Dead' (released April 20th) got to the No.1 spot at all in 1979.
    Wow, where did you get this info from?

So what's the furthest Dawn went? Did it crack the top 10 at all during any of those weeks?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    With the film being unrated or "X" in some cases, it never stood a chance of going to number one against the large studios...
    Yeah. Totally sucks too. This is a grand sequel that I see as being on the same level as "Aliens" and "T2" IMO

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by nycbsn View Post
    Wow, where did you get this info from?

So what's the furthest Dawn went? Did it crack the top 10 at all during any of those weeks?
    Sorry, I should have just posted the wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Over all 'Dawn of the Dead' made about $5 million (on a $2 mil budget) in the US, but I don't think it ever broke into the top 5 at any stage. The Europeans loved it more. Especially the Gerries. They lapped it up.

Ironically though, wiki's page for '1979 in film' doesn't even list it! WTF?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_in_film

Ahem...that may have to change.

And Bassy is correct. The unrated nature of the film hurt its box office. It could have made much more in BO receipts if George went for an R certificate.

We're all glad he didn't though.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Sorry, I should have just posted the wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Over all 'Dawn of the Dead' made about $5 million (on a $2 mil budget) in the US, but I don't think it ever broke into the top 5 at any stage. The Europeans loved it more. Especially the Gerries. They lapped it up.

Ironically though, wiki's page for '1979 in film' doesn't even list it! WTF?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_in_film

Ahem...that may have to change.

And Bassy is correct. The unrated nature of the film hurt its box office. It could have made much more in BO receipts if George went for an R certificate.

We're all glad he didn't though.
    It's listed in the 1978 section. (European release)
    Last edited by EvilNed; 26-Aug-2016 at 08:15 AM. Reason: dfdfssd

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Yep. The reason it's a 1978 film is that that is when it was first shown theatrically (in Italy/Europe) - whereas with the issues with the MPAA and whether or not to go Unrated meant that Dawn's US release was delayed until 1979.

While it probably would have made more if it was R-Rated, it would have been so compromised on the violence front that I think its reputation would have been damaged - perhaps it wouldn't have made such a splash culturally in a softer cut. Might that have also affected the amount of on-screen violence for years to come? Dawn has extraordinary longevity to it. Had it been cut it's status as a cinematic milestone would have been diminished.

Ireland
    Oh well, that makes sense.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Dawn had a two million dollar budget? I know very little about the numbers side of the production, but even with the large scale of the film, that seems high to me? With it being so long ago, the "lets make a movie" style of Romero's productions, and mostly taking place in one location, I would have guessed somewhere around 3/4 to 1 million.

Rising

United States
    Dawn had a two million dollar budget? I know very little about the numbers side of the production, but even with the large scale of the film, that seems high to me? With it being so long ago, the "lets make a movie" style of Romero's productions, and mostly taking place in one location, I would have guessed somewhere around 3/4 to 1 million.
    Dawn actually had more locations than the other 2 films in the zombie trilogy. Night takes place mostly at the farmhouse and brief moments in several other locations (mostly on the countryside.) Day only has two (or three if you want to get technical) locations: the decayed zombie city (only for the opening sequence) and the military base. Dawn has some 7 different locations, plus the main one is an entire shopping mall, where lots of people go to on a daily basis, even at late hours of the night, which makes shooting schedules a bit more complicated, unlike the main locations in the other two films.

Ireland
    It was Stephen King who mentioned that the budget of 'Dawn of the Dead' reached $2 mill, which I think may be too high. It stuck in my head when I read 'Danse Macabre' over 25 years ago . Google says $500,000 which I think is actually too low. Wiki says $1.5 mil. So take your pick.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Dawn actually had more locations than the other 2 films in the zombie trilogy. Night takes place mostly at the farmhouse and brief moments in several other locations (mostly on the countryside.) Day only has two (or three if you want to get technical) locations: the decayed zombie city (only for the opening sequence) and the military base. Dawn has some 7 different locations, plus the main one is an entire shopping mall, where lots of people go to on a daily basis, even at late hours of the night, which makes shooting schedules a bit more complicated, unlike the main locations in the other two films.
    Day has the beach at the end and the bunker exterior too. So that's actually 4.

Rising

United States
    Day has the beach at the end and the bunker exterior too. So that's actually 4.
    I was counting the exterior of the base as the "third" location, since it was really a different location than the underground facility. However, within the context of the movie, it is supposed to be the same location.

If I remember correctly, the beach was just right there next to where the exterior shots of the base were made, so I am not sure if it should count as a different location. But within the context of the movie it is obviously supposed to be somewhere else.

Super Moderator

UK
    I seem to recall Romero himself stating in recent years that the '$2 million' figure was inaccurate - and might have even been artificially inflated to make the film 'look and feel' like a bigger production to potential distributors/markets etc (perhaps when negotiating rights etc?) ... IIRC the real figure is somewhere between $750,000 and $1.5 million (so let's say 'about a million').

As for Dawn's production in the mall, they'd shoot during the hours it was closed at night, but I think they had a staging area somewhere 'off the shop floor', if you will, at that location so they could get some preparation done for the night's shooting. However, they'd have to get the public parts of the mall cleaned up before opening time - but would sometimes stray a little bit (so you had mall walkers encountering people made up as zombies, haha!). It's doable - because, well, they did it - but it's certainly not ideal. You're shooting hours are limited, so to me at least, it seemed a little like a 'run and gun' affair - not in a negative way - but they had to get it done in the time they had.

I'm cobbling this together from things I remember being said in interviews, audio commentaries, behind the scenes footage, Document of the Dead, et al.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Of course they filmed at various other locations, but Monroeville Mall was the majority of the production, meaning they wouldn't have to travel quite as much as most films, and in turn it would help keep the budget down. I was just listing off a few various things that lead me to believe 2 million is an inflated number.

Now that I mention it, I seem to recall Rubenstein's dvd commentary talking about the true budget versus the budget that they would give to the media? Might have to give that a new listen.

Either way, 2 million seems to high IMO. I think somewhere between 750,000 and 1,000,000 is probably closer to the actual number...