Thread: What TWD TV series nearly became?

Administrator

England

What TWD TV series nearly became?

http://www.cinemablend.com/televisio...s-what-we-know

...the network preferred more of a procedural show. Hurd revealed that NBC wanted a series where two protagonists "solve a zombie crime of the week", making it a glorified cop show- but with a zombie here and there. We can presume the lead characters in this abomination of a series would be Rick and Shane, who would undoubtedly get into shenanigans as they attempted to solve zombie crimes.
    OMG!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Good lord. How does this stuff even get thought up?
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Rising

United States
    It doesn't surprise me. Network executives have no friggin' clue when it comes to zombies. In fact, I am actually surprised that the zombies in TWD do not run and scream "BRAAAAAAINS!".

PS: I like Return of the Living Dead, but for what it is: a movie that pokes fun at zombie movies. It should not be taken as a "serious" horror zombie film. Yet when the average Joe thinks "zombies" what comes to his mind are in fact the farcical zombies from ROTLD.

Ireland
    /\

Yup, that drives me round the feckin twist.

In fairness, 'The Walking Dead' has done an awful lot to do away with that in the general public's mind.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    NBC and HBO smh. Lol.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Blimey ... that would have been a travesty.

More evidence that the network execs have no feckin' clue whatsoever. It really beggars belief - and considering how hugely successful TWD has been, it shows exactly how much those NBC execs know - sod all.

Agreed on the ROTLD issue - I really dig that film, but it's not what zombies need to be. The ROTLD style of thing is fine in small doses, but it strays far from the 'source text' (if you will) of the zombie. It is good that, particularly in the wake of those bullshit raptor screamers in the Dawn remake, that TWD is acting as a 'corrector' of the zombie record in the public consciousness.

United States
    Not to mention that Michael Jackson's "Thriller" was released just a few years before ROTLD. Zombies were pretty much watered down at that point. By the time Day of the Dead was released people weren't really scared anymore.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Twitching

Undisclosed
    I remember reading in a TWD letters page, Kirkman joking around saying he'd turn the book into a story where Rick and Tyreese would take a helicopter they were tracking (A traffic copter that led Rick, Glenn and Michonne to Woodbury) and tour the country solving mysteries.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Not to mention that Michael Jackson's "Thriller" was released just a few years before ROTLD. Zombies were pretty much watered down at that point. By the time Day of the Dead was released people weren't really scared anymore.
    Romero has gone on record saying that he was disappointed that they did not give him the job of directing the Thriller video. But Jackson, Landis and Baker did a great job with the zombies in that video clip nonetheless. Of course, you have to overlook the parts where they dance with a zombified Michael Jackson, as it is a mandatory thing for a music video. They look decayed & nasty and move slowly like traditional zombies. When I first saw the great elaborate zombie make-up in Day of the Dead the first thing that came to mind was if Jackson's video had an influence on how the zombies in that movie looked like. This impression was confirmed later on by Mike Trcic:

"We wanted to use a lot of scleral lenses but there just wasn't the budget for it. That really could have enhanced the zombies. I don't know, I guess we were kind of thinking of Rick Baker's Thriller at the time and we were going for a Thriller look. So, that was playing pretty loudly in our minds - you know, how are these going to compare to Rick's zombies?"

https://books.google.com/books?id=jm...ook%22&f=false

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Romero has gone on record saying that he was disappointed that they did not give him the job of directing the Thriller video. But Jackson, Landis and Baker did a great job with the zombies in that video clip nonetheless. Of course, you have to overlook the parts where they dance with a zombified Michael Jackson, as it is a mandatory thing for a music video. They look decayed & nasty and move slowly like traditional zombies. When I first saw the great elaborate zombie make-up in Day of the Dead the first thing that came to mind was if Jackson's video had an influence on how the zombies in that movie looked like. This impression was confirmed later on by Mike Trcic:

"We wanted to use a lot of scleral lenses but there just wasn't the budget for it. That really could have enhanced the zombies. I don't know, I guess we were kind of thinking of Rick Baker's Thriller at the time and we were going for a Thriller look. So, that was playing pretty loudly in our minds - you know, how are these going to compare to Rick's zombies?"

https://books.google.com/books?id=jm...ook%22&f=false
    Spot on! I never made the comparison but I can definitely see the influence. I loved Thriller then and still love it now. It really holds up.