Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wolf Creek (TV series)

Super Moderator

UK
    I finally got around to watching it last week over a few days, and yeah, I did enjoy it quite a bit. There are some issues I have with it - there is a lot of 'filler' story going on to get us through the six episodes with occasionally patchy plotting, and Eve does seem to have the worst luck running into all these interconnected foils - but it was very stylish, well acted, has a unique atmosphere with the Aussie outback as its sandbox, and Mick Taylor as the baddie. Not the best TV drama I've seen by any stretch of the imagination, but surprisingly effective and entertaining.

The ending was a bit strange - it seemed as if Eve was satisfied he was dead (in the ashes), because she seemed to have found conclusion for herself. On the other hand, yeah, they just can't help themselves by showing his truck driving off down the road. But, to be honest, a second batch of six episodes would be stretching it awfully far ... so I'd be rather concerned. The scripts would have to be excellent. Taylor isn't like Jason where you can kill him and resurrect him over and over, it's real world logic going on here ... so we'll see, eh?
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 21-Nov-2016 at 04:44 PM.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I finally got around to watching it last week over a few days, and yeah, I did enjoy it quite a bit. There are some issues I have with it - there is a lot of 'filler' story going on to get us through the six episodes with occasionally patchy plotting, and Eve does seem to have the worst luck running into all these interconnected foils - but it was very stylish, well acted, has a unique atmosphere with the Aussie outback as its sandbox, and Mick Taylor as the baddie. Not the best TV drama I've seen by any stretch of the imagination, but surprisingly effective and entertaining.

The ending was a bit strange - it seemed as if Eve was satisfied he was dead (in the ashes), because she seemed to have found conclusion for herself. On the other hand, yeah, they just can't help themselves by showing his truck driving off down the road. But, to be honest, a second batch of six episodes would be stretching it awfully far ... so I'd be rather concerned. The scripts would have to be excellent. Taylor isn't like Jason where you can kill him and resurrect him over and over, it's real world logic going on here ... so we'll see, eh?

A fire has to be very hot and go on for a long time in order to reduce an entire average sized human body to ashes, so when I saw that there were no substantial remains where Mick was supposedly killed I immediately discarded the idea that the fire had burned his corpse. And then the truck going down the road... It's obvious that Mick survived and managed to escape the fire.

I think there is enough material here for a second season, but this time there has to be closure to the story. Either Mick dies, or Eve dies, or she gives up trying to kill Mick and the series ends.

Super Moderator

UK
    Hmmm...

Did we see the floor though? I can't recall that in the climax of the show - seeing the floor of the burned down house (which would be where any remains would be lying). Clearly he wasn't on the metal pole anymore (the other two that pierced him were wooden) ... I was a bit irritated that she didn't just cut his throat to be doubly sure (she didn't even bother checking for his pulse!), but I guess if you're intending to try and get another series out of it you can't allow that to happen ... it would have been nice if there was a better reason for her not doing those things rather than just not bothering.

I do agree though, if there's to be another series it really does need a full blown conclusion. The character is great, but there's only a limited amount you can do with him, and we've pretty much reached that now.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Hmmm...

Did we see the floor though? I can't recall that in the climax of the show - seeing the floor of the burned down house (which would be where any remains would be lying). Clearly he wasn't on the metal pole anymore (the other two that pierced him were wooden) ... I was a bit irritated that she didn't just cut his throat to be doubly sure (she didn't even bother checking for his pulse!), but I guess if you're intending to try and get another series out of it you can't allow that to happen ... it would have been nice if there was a better reason for her not doing those things rather than just not bothering.

I do agree though, if there's to be another series it really does need a full blown conclusion. The character is great, but there's only a limited amount you can do with him, and we've pretty much reached that now.

The thing is that Mick's body should not even have fallen down from where it was "pinned", it would be a charred corpse still hanging by the metal pole. But there was nothing there. It seems as if his corpse was just reduced to ashes and scattered around the room. But the fire was not strong and long enough to be able to reduce an entire adult-sized body to ashes.

Regarding Eve's actions: this is symptomatic of slasher films. For example, look at the first Wolf Creek movie. The two girls make the exact same mistake. They could have killed Mick while he was unconscious from the shock of the bullet that grazes his neck, but they did not!

As you implied, Mick is not "supernatural", like characters like Jason or Freddy Krueger, so there's just no way that he can possibly keep on miraculously surviving apparently certain-death situations. It is not possible to extend Wolf Creek into such a long-lived franchise.