Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Red Dead Redemption 2 (video game)

Ireland
    The last couple of missions for Arthur. I know there's a bit of John in the Epilogue. Don't know how much though.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    The last couple of missions for Arthur. I know there's a bit of John in the Epilogue. Don't know how much though.
    The epilogue is a decent amount. It starts out slow, a bit of a breather, but you soon get all your stuff back.

Ireland
    Can you do Arthur's side missions once he's

brown bread and you're playing as John?
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 24-Jan-2021 at 02:35 PM. Reason: ,

Super Moderator

UK
    Can you do Arthur's side missions once he's

brown bread and you're playing as John?
    Yeah, any side encounters and the like carry over, even collectible thingies - the dialogue even changes/references accordingly where applicable.

Ireland
    Right so. There's a few things left to do then.

I'm onto John now.

Ireland
    So...I finally completed this. The Epilogue is nearly a whole game itself.

Anyway, RDR2 will probably go down as one of the greats for me. But primarily for its story, atmosphere and attention to detail (all of which were fantastic) over the actual gameplay, which was pretty rudimentary. It's a massive game, though, and anyone with an actual life will find it difficult to experience everything that it has to offer. I've managed to rack up over 200 hours in it and if COVID wasn't happening, I'd imagine I'd still only be about half way through it at the moment. I still have a lot of the challenges to complete and stuff like bounty hunting, but the story's over. I might pop in to fart about with those at some point.

Right now, I'm looking for something else. Think I might have a punt on Hell Let Loose.

Administrator

England
    So...I finally completed this. The Epilogue is nearly a whole game itself.

Anyway, RDR2 will probably go down as one of the greats for me. But primarily for its story, atmosphere and attention to detail (all of which were fantastic) over the actual gameplay, which was pretty rudimentary. It's a massive game, though, and anyone with an actual life will find it difficult to experience everything that it has to offer. I've managed to rack up over 200 hours in it and if COVID wasn't happening, I'd imagine I'd still only be about half way through it at the moment. I still have a lot of the challenges to complete and stuff like bounty hunting, but the story's over. I might pop in to fart about with those at some point.

Right now, I'm looking for something else. Think I might have a punt on Hell Let Loose.
    "anyone with an actual life will find it difficult to experience everything that it has to offer" - This is my concern. I was also interested in getting Kingdom Come Deliverance, but I just don't think I could dedicate the time it...

"Right now, I'm looking for something else." - Cyberpunk once the bugs get sorted?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    The Epilogue was a good chunk of post-game stuff, wasn't it? It was nice because it felt like the world didn't just stop dead and cease existing, like it sometimes does in open world games once the main story is over. It kept going like a mini sequel.

I loved the mission where you build the house. The ideal way to lift the gamer's spirits.

Also ... Uncle's lumbaaaaaaaaago!

England
    Think I might have a punt on Hell Let Loose.
    Not played that one but I've played a lot of Post Scriptum which is according to reviews the superior version of essentially the same game. Give that a look as well. It makes you play tactically and work together with your squad or vehicle crew, lone wolfing it just gets you killed very quickly which for me is much more fun than battlefield and CoD. The sound, explosion effects and vehicle/soldier models are excellent as well!

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    "anyone with an actual life will find it difficult to experience everything that it has to offer" - This is my concern. I was also interested in getting Kingdom Come Deliverance, but I just don't think I could dedicate the time it...
    Aye, COVID has left me with a good bit of spare time and work has been fairly light since before Christmas. Otherwise, I don't think I would have got as much out of RDR2. You can race through the story missions in about 40+ hours I reckon. But doing all the other stuff and just wandering about is where the best the game has to offer and missing out on that would result in a very shallow experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    "Right now, I'm looking for something else." - Cyberpunk once the bugs get sorted?
    I was excited about 'Cyberpunk 2077', Neil, just like everyone else. But after looking at how that actually turned out, I'm content to let that sit for a few years and then get it in a Steam sale for €15. There's no chance in me spending full price on it now. That's for sure. As much as I disliked Steam a few years ago, these days they have some really great deals on a regular basis.

I actually have 'Kingdom Come Deliverance' (why not just Kingdom Come?) in my Steam Library, believe it or not. But, like you, I'm sorta scared to go near it. I've heard that it's an absolute grinding life stealer. I will do it at one point. Probably when the wife divorces me and walks out. But right now, I'm not so sure.

At the moment, 'Hell Let Loose' has my eye. It coincides nicely with my second world war obsession and I hear that there's Russian Front maps in the works too. It's only online, though, so the risk is there that you'll meet gobshites. But from looking around, it seems to appeal to a more grown up crowd, which might have something to do with the period setting. At the moment it's €30, so I might wait and see if it'll cool it's jets a bit and drop a few quid.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Not played that one but I've played a lot of Post Scriptum which is according to reviews the superior version of essentially the same game. Give that a look as well. It makes you play tactically and work together with your squad or vehicle crew, lone wolfing it just gets you killed very quickly which for me is much more fun than battlefield and CoD. The sound, explosion effects and vehicle/soldier models are excellent as well!
    Yeh, I had my eye on that too Tricky. But I hear that the player base is quite small and getting smaller for some reason.

I have zero interest in the likes of Battlefield or CoD though. Tried them on a friend's machine and it was chaos. Loads of silly kids calling each other names and looking for kill counts. Just doesn't do anything for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    The Epilogue was a good chunk of post-game stuff, wasn't it? It was nice because it felt like the world didn't just stop dead and cease existing, like it sometimes does in open world games once the main story is over. It kept going like a mini sequel.

I loved the mission where you build the house. The ideal way to lift the gamer's spirits.

Also ... Uncle's lumbaaaaaaaaago!
    Feckin Uncle.

John gets lumbered with him and his "lumbago" for next few years, just because he bumped into him in St. Denis. Poor bleeder.

That's another good thing about RDR2 though. The characters are all very well done. There's actually characters that you really get to like, which is weird for NPCs. Charles was great. If RDR3 was about him, I'd be happy. And Hosea was brilliant too.

As for the Epilogue,

I was wondering if you were going to get a chance to settle the score with that wanker, Micah. He was such a great baddie. Once Sadie rocked up to the ranch and said she was after him, I reckoned that was the end (the proper end) Then at the finale when you find Micah was hanging out with Dutch. My mouth hit the floor.

I'm kinda sorry that I replayed RDR1 before I started RDR2 now.

Super Moderator

UK
    Feckin Uncle.

John gets lumbered with him and his "lumbago" for next few years, just because he bumped into him in St. Denis. Poor bleeder.

That's another good thing about RDR2 though. The characters are all very well done. There's actually characters that you really get to like, which is weird for NPCs. Charles was great. If RDR3 was about him, I'd be happy. And Hosea was brilliant too.

As for the Epilogue,

I was wondering if you were going to get a chance to settle the score with that wanker, Micah. He was such a great baddie. Once Sadie rocked up to the ranch and said she was after him, I reckoned that was the end (the proper end) Then at the finale when you find Micah was hanging out with Dutch. My mouth hit the floor.

I'm kinda sorry that I replayed RDR1 before I started RDR2 now.
    Yeah, the characters were really good. Even little side things ... there was a bit with a guy who was living with his abusive father (you overhear this stuff), and you go to the place to rob it, but the robbery goes south when the old man catches you ... it's either a case of scram, or kill him, and I pulled the trigger - at which point the son begins weeping. If you go back there once some time has passed you'll find the son has turned into a drunk, filled with regrets over his poor relationship with his father. Either way I felt sorry for the guy ... ... then proceeded to rob him again.

Yeah, I liked Hosea (despite his loan shark operation). I stuck around for some campfire stories, but I was more interested in getting out into that open world and exploring, so when it gets to a point where there are no more campfire moments I missed it.

I even got to quite like some of the gang members who, as I was reminded, were folks you hunt down and kill as John in RDR1 - I'd forgotten which ones were to be hunted down in the previous game completely, and I felt some betrayal.

Micah ... what an arsehole.

END OF RDR2 CHAPTER 6 and RDR 1 ending spoilers:

I was genuinely moved by the ending of Arthur Morgan's story, and the building sense of regret that he had as the tuberculosis took hold. The lady in that little house near the waterfall, whose husband dies, and who you teach some basics like hunting for food - you got the sense that he could have found a wife one day, maybe even her, and had a quiet time for the remainder of his life, but his choices had soured any chance of that.

The choice of music - as Arthur heads towards the final confrontation, and then when he's watching the sunrise one last time - was perfection, too. I got chills. I was even gutted that my horse (who I named "Snowy") got killed as well. Having spent so much time playing as that character, it lingered with me for a few days, and I even resented playing as John again, lol ... but then I gradually got back into him as you basically put the finishing touches to the man you remember in RDR1 ... ... but then his fate in that game haunts you. Standing in the area beneath that tree overlooking the farm, where his and Abigail's graves will be, was a spooky experience.

Ireland
    Yeah, the characters were really good. Even little side things ... there was a bit with a guy who was living with his abusive father (you overhear this stuff), and you go to the place to rob it, but the robbery goes south when the old man catches you ... it's either a case of scram, or kill him, and I pulled the trigger - at which point the son begins weeping. If you go back there once some time has passed you'll find the son has turned into a drunk, filled with regrets over his poor relationship with his father. Either way I felt sorry for the guy ... ... then proceeded to rob him again.
    Didn't see that one.

Saw the gun shop owner that was keeping a boy locked up in his basement. Creepy stuff there. I let the kid go and left yer man in a heap crying. Went back to the shop much later and he was like "Oh Hi, you're back. I hope you're no going to try any more funny stuff".

Yeah, I liked Hosea (despite his loan shark operation). I stuck around for some campfire stories, but I was more interested in getting out into that open world and exploring, so when it gets to a point where there are no more campfire moments I missed it.
    That was Strauss that was doing the loan shark stuff. Hosea was more about con tricks. and delivering wisdom about the folly of what the gang were doing.

END OF RDR2 CHAPTER 6 and RDR 1 ending spoilers:

I was genuinely moved by the ending of Arthur Morgan's story, and the building sense of regret that he had as the tuberculosis took hold. The lady in that little house near the waterfall, whose husband dies, and who you teach some basics like hunting for food - you got the sense that he could have found a wife one day, maybe even her, and had a quiet time for the remainder of his life, but his choices had soured any chance of that.

The choice of music - as Arthur heads towards the final confrontation, and then when he's watching the sunrise one last time - was perfection, too. I got chills. I was even gutted that my horse (who I named "Snowy") got killed as well. Having spent so much time playing as that character, it lingered with me for a few days, and I even resented playing as John again, lol ... but then I gradually got back into him as you basically put the finishing touches to the man you remember in RDR1 ... ... but then his fate in that game haunts you. Standing in the area beneath that tree overlooking the farm, where his and Abigail's graves will be, was a spooky experience.
    [/QUOTE]

Yeh, I got the sunrise ending too, which I think is the best you can hope for as Arthur.

I initially disliked the idea of playing as Arthur, but now I think Arthur > John.

It was strange seeing the farm come together. When the barn went up, I was like..."oh dear".

Super Moderator

UK
    Oh yeah, Strauss - I thought it sounded weird typing Hosea for that. Totally forgot about Strauss. Fuck that guy.

Yeah, the thing with the son and the old man in a cabin - it's down in the corner beneath where that burned down mansion is, by the water. It was one of the robbery tip-offs that occasionally came up during the game.

Another thing that was really creepy - wandering about in the swamps at night. Sometimes there'd be these crazy cannibal hicks who'd emerge as if from nowhere and come at you. Real creepy wandering around in the dark and fog and all of a sudden a gang of those freaks appear from hiding!

There's all sorts of little things you might miss along the way. It'd be a good idea to look at some YouTube videos of these sorts of things to find any you haven't found yourself.

So many nifty details throughout, some that even leave subtle marks on the world ... such as, a building in St. Denis that's getting constructed/renovated - you can choose to donate as Arthur, and once it's built his name will appear on a plaque of donors by the door.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 04-Feb-2021 at 04:54 PM.

Ireland
    Yeah, the thing with the son and the old man in a cabin - it's down in the corner beneath where that burned down mansion is, by the water. It was one of the robbery tip-offs that occasionally came up during the game.
    Ah yeh, the black lad that tries to stab you and his kid says he stashed the money in trunk. Did that one. I might go back with John and see what's what.

Another thing that was really creepy - wandering about in the swamps at night. Sometimes there'd be these crazy cannibal hicks who'd emerge as if from nowhere and come at you. Real creepy wandering around in the dark and fog and all of a sudden a gang of those freaks appear from hiding!
    Yeh, there's odd stuff going on around there. I think there's a whole vampire cult affair happening near that place and I saw a clan meeting outside of Rhodes too, which was gas. Chucked a stick of dynamite at them.
    [/QUOTE]

Super Moderator

UK
    Ah yeh, the black lad that tries to stab you and his kid says he stashed the money in trunk. Did that one. I might go back with John and see what's what.

Yeh, there's odd stuff going on around there. I think there's a whole vampire cult affair happening near that place and I saw a clan meeting outside of Rhodes too, which was gas. Chucked a stick of dynamite at them.
    1) Did you kill the old man, or leave him be? Either way there'll likely be some development there.

2) There was one klan meeting I stumbled across near Rhodes where they bungled their attempt to set a cross on fire, IIRC, and only managed to set themselves on fire. I gunned down the stragglers amidst the chaos.

Did you find the lady locked in the outhouse near that mansion? If you go back years later she's still there ... kinda.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 05-Feb-2021 at 09:43 AM.