Thread: Half Life Alyx (VR)

England

Half Life Alyx (VR)

Have any of you played this one yet? I managed to complete it last weekend and it is an absolutely incredible VR experience, aside from The Walking Dead game it's the first one I've played with truly cutting edge graphics on the VR platform and you can interact with nearly everything in the environment. Well recommended if you have the hardware for it!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Have any of you played this one yet? I managed to complete it last weekend and it is an absolutely incredible VR experience, aside from The Walking Dead game it's the first one I've played with truly cutting edge graphics on the VR platform and you can interact with nearly everything in the environment. Well recommended if you have the hardware for it!
    I'll wait for the price to drop
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    That is the issue with VR at the moment, you need a hefty PC to run it in the first place, then you're looking at around £800 for one of the leading headsets. I'm lucky enough that I don't have kids to provide for and on an ok salary so can afford to fritter away money on gadgets like this, but it's not affordable enough to be mainstream for most yet. It's amazing how the technology has come along in the last few years though, I never thought it was something I would experience at home or with the visual quality of this new Half Life game. There is a part in the first five minutes of it where one of those Striders from Half Life 2 climbs over the building next to you and my jaw was on the floor!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    That is the issue with VR at the moment, you need a hefty PC to run it in the first place, then you're looking at around £800 for one of the leading headsets. I'm lucky enough that I don't have kids to provide for and on an ok salary so can afford to fritter away money on gadgets like this, but it's not affordable enough to be mainstream for most yet. It's amazing how the technology has come along in the last few years though, I never thought it was something I would experience at home or with the visual quality of this new Half Life game. There is a part in the first five minutes of it where one of those Striders from Half Life 2 climbs over the building next to you and my jaw was on the floor!
    Yes and no...

I've got the Oculus Quest which is £399. That does indeed need a hefty PC for titles like Alyx, but the Quest can also run completely self contained which TBH is still impressive. And while its graphics are not as impressive as when using (the Link cable to) a PC, it's still pretty good! It's a solid stand alone experience. And I imagine Oculus 2 in a couple of years will be astounding!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan