Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TWD 7x03 "The Cell" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN*

UK
    back to the old tropes with a vehicle crash (this time a bike)

don't worry Facestabber, you're not the only daryl fan. rumour has it there's a guy going around riding his bike, using his crossbow and wearing his clothes. Dwight has a total man-crush on Daryl lol

for me the coolest part of the episode was with Dwight actually. The field of crippled walkers, all with their legs or spines snapped (great work by Nicotero as always) made me go "huh?" the slow reveal of the blood splatter (again- Huh?) and the the reveal of walkers on the overpass blindly shambling over the edge to land in a crumpled heap. excellent payoff.

I do agree that Daryl is being used to substitute for another character here, but that may be because of the uncomfortable "grooming" aspect of the original storyline. They want us to like/hate Negan, not Hate/Hate him as the undercurrent may well invoke that in a lot of folks.

If Daryl dies we riot...ok, sure...but what if Daryl turns? becomes the Vader to Emperor Negan? that could have some serious story potential right there.
    I'm hungry, but I'm not hungry hungry.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by UndeadHippo View Post
    I do agree that Daryl is being used to substitute for another character here, but that may be because of the uncomfortable "grooming" aspect of the original storyline. They want us to like/hate Negan, not Hate/Hate him as the undercurrent may well invoke that in a lot of folks.

If Daryl dies we riot...ok, sure...but what if Daryl turns? becomes the Vader to Emperor Negan? that could have some serious story potential right there.
    1) That's a really interesting thought on the character switch-out. Whether that's part of the case or not, we don't know, but I hadn't considered this. There are some things in the comic that are grim enough, but when you see them brought to life in the show they take on a whole new dimension of grim - it's not just black and white pictures any more - now it's in full colour with living, breathing people performing it in 24 frames per second. So, yeah, something like that could easily take on a tone that isn't wanted.

2) Wouldn't that be something?! I doubt it'll ever really happen, though ... maybe he'll pretend to turn and wait for an opportunity?

Oh, and yeah, the overpass sequence was pretty neat - the F/X work was excellent. Peeling back the layers to reveal a little story that had played out long ago - a bit of implied storytelling - good fun.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 10-Nov-2016 at 08:18 AM.

United States
    I have a feeling we didn't get the whole story concerning Dwight at the Overpass. How exactly did his bike's tire get smashed like that? Either something was edited out or we may pay that scene another visit down the road.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    I have a feeling we didn't get the whole story concerning Dwight at the Overpass. How exactly did his bike's tire get smashed like that? Either something was edited out or we may pay that scene another visit down the road.
    I originally thought that the zombie that fell might have damaged the bike, but upon reviewing the scene again the zombie clearly hits the pavement and not the bike.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    I originally thought that the zombie that fell might have damaged the bike, but upon reviewing the scene again the zombie clearly hits the pavement and not the bike.
    Aye - what's up with the busted bike wheel? I need information, dang it!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Aye - what's up with the busted bike wheel? I need information, dang it!
    They really went out of their way to show us the damaged tire.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    They really went out of their way to show us the damaged tire.
    There was a chase scene filmed that was cut.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    Ah, cool. Was that mentioned on Talking Dead? I haven't been watching it this season due to scheduling issues.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Ireland
    If that's the case, it's really clumsy editing. There were plenty of other areas to cut in that episode.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Really? That's a bit bizarre ... it makes a big continuity issue, and just leaves viewers with a big mystery over wtf happened to his bike.

United States
    Was that confirmed? Beacaue in they chase sequence previewed, Dwight had a female Savior with him and in this episode he was dolo.