Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TWD 7x03 "The Cell" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN*

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 7x03 "The Cell" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN*

Please keep all talk of episode 7x03 "The Cell" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

Directed by: Alrick Riley (has previously pulled Directing duties on TWD with episode 6x14).
    Written by: Angela Kang (has previously written/co-written 13 episodes of TWD - this is her fourteenth).
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 06-Nov-2016 at 05:00 PM.

Super Moderator

United States
    I hope Wyld starts watching the show again, I am breathlessly awaiting his critique of Negan's means of grooming his henchmen...

Other than that, solid episode...man, I must be sick of the main group, because I am really appreciating the last two episodes. Even if Negan's...methods...are a bit goofy, I LOVE the characterization of Dwight, very well done.

Also, is ANYONE surprised that even Negan is lovestruck by the marysueism that is Daryl? Feh

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Wyld can stay far away from the show. I'm torn with this one. On one hand I enjoyed the story told with Dwight but on the other hand, it felt kind of lazy how they explained his experience with Negan and Iron compared to the book. I really hope they don't skip on some cool Sanctuary moments. Kinda bummed on the direction they are heading into. On its own though, I liked this one.

I'm ready to get back to the main group. I have a feeling the show is gonna stick to this formula for a while considering how many characters we follow now. I fear we will get a Hilltop exclusive as well as a Tara/Heath bottle episode. Sigh.

Also, that damn song, man, haha.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 07-Nov-2016 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Hi
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Dead

United States
    Negan reminds me of a kid I grew up with. His parents paid to have a skate ramp built in their yard. The kid held it over everyones head. Treated people horribly and they took it because they didn't want to be one of the kids that was banned. The kid busted his face open and the ramp was removed real fast. You never really saw the little fucker after that. He quit skating entirely. I always thought Bam Margera was him grown up. Apparently he got stuck in the parallel universe as Negan though.

When he was goin on about Dwights "Super hot wife and her super hot sister" it took all the wind out of his sails IMO. Neither of them were super hot for one thing, and the way he got pissed just telling the story about his "super hot fiance" taking off was just sad. Negan is just a douche-bag of Jersey Shore proportion!? It don't seem right.

I'm not trashing the show here. This season has been great so far. I'm just surprised by that scene and the way it seemed to portray Negan as a simple playground bully with an egg shell ego.

Super Moderator

UK
    Fascinating stuff for Dwight here - a prisoner of his own decisions, compromised by his actions, and teetering on the edge of outright villainy.

I suppose Daryl is a novelty for Negan - Negan's surrounded by yes men and whimpering helpers, or gurning "Kings" happy in their middle management positions. Even Rick cracked (but, considering what he was about to be made to do, it's hardly surprising!) ... whereas Daryl is intriguing to Negan. It wouldn't be realistic to Daryl to have said he was "Negan" in this episode, it's just a bit too soon for that - but he was crying by the end, so the 'treatment' is 'working'.

Kind of a depressing, bleak episode, really. A few fiddles with Negan's dialogue at the odd point might have smoothed over a crack or two, but good in general.

Next week's episode is an extended one, so there'll be a lot of ground covered in that I'd imagine. I think we'll be seeing Alexandria again, and perhaps other stories with other people ... but we shall see.

Rising

United States
    Correct me if I am misremembering this: but didn't Daryl offer Dwight & company the option of going back to Alexandria with him? Yet here they are willingly coming back to the tyrannical Saviors they were desperately trying to get away from, and suffering the consequences of their strange decision (Dwight with half of his face scarred & his wife having to be with his boss.) It looks to me that Dwight is pretty much a very short-sighted fellow who can't see how many options he really has out there besides being with the Saviors. It is not like he claims, that "there's nowhere to go", as if the only option was the Saviors or nothing. When he first met Daryl the Alexandrians had no idea who the Saviors were. So Dwight knows very well that there are groups out there where Negan's "empire" hasn't reached. He could easily have joined them and warned them of who the Saviors are, their numbers and locations, and put them on their guard against them. Anything but go back to such a cruel bunch of hoodlums they were trying to get away from in the first place!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Correct me if I am misremembering this: but didn't Daryl offer Dwight & company the option of going back to Alexandria with him? Yet here they are willingly coming back to the tyrannical Saviors they were desperately trying to get away from, and suffering the consequences of their strange decision (Dwight with half of his face scarred & his wife having to be with his boss.) It looks to me that Dwight is pretty much a very short-sighted fellow who can't see how many options he really has out there besides being with the Saviors. It is not like he claims, that "there's nowhere to go", as if the only option was the Saviors or nothing. When he first met Daryl the Alexandrians had no idea who the Saviors were. So Dwight knows very well that there are groups out there where Negan's "empire" hasn't reached. He could easily have joined them and warned them of who the Saviors are, their numbers and locations, and put them on their guard against them. Anything but go back to such a cruel bunch of hoodlums they were trying to get away from in the first place!
    Sounds right. Show is trying to get us to buy that Negan is everywhere, but I'd think a full tank of gas in one of those motorcycles could get you far enough away to never see a Savior again. I guess the security aspect similar to the prison keeps people around some what. Sure Negan is a murdering dick, but you don't have to worry about being eaten alive in your sleep. Guess its a risk vs reward mind game. Your analysis of Dwight is accurate.

Super Moderator

UK
    Well, when Dwight and Daryl met, they didn't hang around for long and didn't get to know each other that well - so why should Dwight believe anything Daryl says?

The Saviours are like a cult, run by a tyrant. Think of these countries that are a mess, ruled over by a dictator, and yet for decades nothing happens to change that ... sooner or later change comes, but a group of people are more open to subservience than you'd like to think. The will and power to make the change isn't as easily come by as you'd hope.

The average people in the Saviour's gaff are desperate and scared. They'll have likely been there from fairly early on, strong enough to survive for a little while (probably not moving too far from their homes), but were then picked up and found someone to lead them and put a roof over their heads and provide that protection. The Saviours are the mob of the zombie apocalypse, running a racket. Step out of line and the consequences are severe - you see what their methodolgy is: fear is primary in their toolset.

There'll be some in Negan's gang who are doing quite nicely, thank you very much - especially if they're enjoying a warm bed, food, time with a woman etc. Compared to eating road kill and barely surviving on the road (and all the perils and dangers that encompasses), there'll be plenty of folks not willing to do anything different. Some will see it for the hell it is and want out, some will see it for the hell it is and do nothing, and some won't give a shit because they're not doing too badly out of it.

Interesting stuff with Gordon, too - the guy that Dwight shoots in the back and brings back to be on the zombie wall/fence. The Saviours will exploit any weakness for their own ends.

TWD 7x03 Memes:

United States
    Daryl and Dwight did have a short interaction but Daryls actions should have established some integrity and trust. It certainly did with Sherry. That just highlights how weak minded Dwight is.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Well, when Dwight and Daryl met, they didn't hang around for long and didn't get to know each other that well - so why should Dwight believe anything Daryl says?
    How about the fact that Daryl could have killed them, taken everything they had and left but did not do that and instead helped them escape the Saviors, putting his own life on the line? Instead of taking advantage of such a great opportunity, Dwight and his wife absurdly "repay" Daryl's troubles by stealing his bike and crossbow and leave him stranded... only to return back to the very gang they were trying to get away from! This pair do not make much sense. Quite frankly, both of them deserve to die. Preferably by Daryl's hands. Had they not made such stupid decisions they would likely have altered the outcome of future events in favor of the Alexandrians. All they had to do is go to Alexandria with Daryl and explain to everyone what happened, why they are defecting, and who these ruthless "Saviors" really are and how they operate. With this valuable information the Alexandrians would have been more careful in how to strike back at these thugs.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    How about the fact that Daryl could have killed them, taken everything they had and left but did not do that and instead helped them escape the Saviors, putting his own life on the line? Instead of taking advantage of such a great opportunity, Dwight and his wife absurdly "repay" Daryl's troubles by stealing his bike and crossbow and leave him stranded... only to return back to the very gang they were trying to get away from! This pair do not make much sense. Quite frankly, both of them deserve to die. Preferably by Daryl's hands. Had they not made such stupid decisions they would likely have altered the outcome of future events in favor of the Alexandrians. All they had to do is go to Alexandria with Daryl and explain to everyone what happened, why they are defecting, and who these ruthless "Saviors" really are and how they operate. With this valuable information the Alexandrians would have been more careful in how to strike back at these thugs.
    whoa whoa whoa there. Lets keep Sherry around a bit. She's easy on the eyes. Overall this episode was just meh for me. Certainly not an episode I need to rewatch.

Super Moderator

UK
    The Termites were all lovely and welcoming until they started eating folks.

Trust is hard to come by in the zombie apocalypse.

One little additional thing I quite liked in this episode was there being music and TV in it. It'd drive me barmy not having different (or any) forms of media in my life in the zombie apocalypse (assuming I was living in an Alexandria type place where I had leisure time!), so it was fun seeing Dwight watching some telly, and music being played (albeit to torturous effect).

It was interesting what they were doing to Daryl - they stripped him of his clothes, so he's vulnerable, exposed, cold, but also that's a piece of his identity taken away. Then they're messing with his head with the music and interrupting his sleep. They're feeding him dog food sandwiches for crying out loud (although, considering he easily ate mud snakes and worms in season 4B, a dog food sandwich is like fine dining!), and then they stick him in that leisure suit thing with the "A" on it (there's that letter again in TWD). They tease him, tempt him (I wonder if the chunky guy deliberately left the door open? - Negan and his men were all ready for him in the motorcycle yard), and seek to remove all of his will and identity ... but this is Daryl we're talking about. If it was someone else they'd have cracked already, or perhaps been more willing to sell themselves out in the short term - but Daryl didn't have an easy time of it growing up, he's senn terrible things and experienced terrible people. He's been a bullied underling, so this kind of treatment isn't necessarily as shocking to him than it would be to others.

I doubt anyone's really stood up to Negan in a long time - he's probably experiencing a bit of malaise - so Daryl is something very interesting and new to him. He's all about the performance and theatricality, so he'd be drawn to an intriguing new play thing to bat around ... if you'll pardon the expression.

And just in case you wanna get your torturous, brainwashing groove on...

Last edited by MinionZombie; 07-Nov-2016 at 05:05 PM.

United States
    Minion I think Negan sees the character and skills of Daryl. If he can turn him, he has an amazingly loyal right hand man. Of course the fact Daryl's loyalty would switch is a contradiction to my original thought......Lets just say Negan admires strength as long as its controllable.

United States
    Thanks for the song again, Minion, made my day haha.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Rising

United States
    By the way, does anyone remember if the word "zombie/s" was ever mentioned in any episode of Who's the Boss? If it ever came up then it is a huge contradiction to the fact that no one in TWD seems to know the word "zombie/s".

Another thing: Inquiring minds want to know whether Tony Danza and the rest of the cast became zomb... er, I mean "walkers", or are they alive and hiding somewhere??? Maybe it is time for a special guest appearance on TWD.
    Last edited by JDP; 07-Nov-2016 at 06:15 PM. Reason: ;