Thread: So US folks... Come on then... Call next week's election!

Administrator

England

So US folks... Come on then... Call next week's election!

Who is going to be your next president?

I wonder what Trump supporters make of this insight? - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/37799775
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Really? No one going to make a call?

I recon the biggest turn out for decades, and Clinton wins.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I'm a citizen overseas. Not gonna vote because that would mean voting in Illinois, and thanks to the Electoral college that's just pointless. Also, it's a hassle to register to vote from overseas.

But I follow Nate Silver's Fivethirtyeight daily. I read the articles and listen to the podcast when I get the time but mostly I just check their model for predicting the outcome:
    http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/...tion-forecast/

I also predict a large turnout than the norm. Reports from voter registration authorities are already suggesting this may be the case - however the ones turning out to vote that don't usually do are probably gonna vote for Trump.
    The polls, except for the LA Times one, all suggest a Clinton victory. She's in the lead with 2-3 points. Of course there's a margin of error but the truth is probably in there somewhere.

There are some swing states that Trump needs to win in order to have a chance at all. These include North Carolina, Florida and Nevada. Both are roughly on the fence on who to pick, but Clinton has a slight lead in all of them.

I'm actually gonna call a victory for Trump, however. That would be consistent with Populist candidates and options being wildly off the mark in Polling in other elections in recent memory - such as the Brexit polls. So yeah, I think Trump is gonna win this.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I'm a citizen overseas. Not gonna vote because that would mean voting in Illinois, and thanks to the Electoral college that's just pointless. Also, it's a hassle to register to vote from overseas.

But I follow Nate Silver's Fivethirtyeight daily. I read the articles and listen to the podcast when I get the time but mostly I just check their model for predicting the outcome:
    http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/...tion-forecast/

I also predict a large turnout than the norm. Reports from voter registration authorities are already suggesting this may be the case - however the ones turning out to vote that don't usually do are probably gonna vote for Trump.
    The polls, except for the LA Times one, all suggest a Clinton victory. She's in the lead with 2-3 points. Of course there's a margin of error but the truth is probably in there somewhere.

There are some swing states that Trump needs to win in order to have a chance at all. These include North Carolina, Florida and Nevada. Both are roughly on the fence on who to pick, but Clinton has a slight lead in all of them.

I'm actually gonna call a victory for Trump, however. That would be consistent with Populist candidates and options being wildly off the mark in Polling in other elections in recent memory - such as the Brexit polls. So yeah, I think Trump is gonna win this.
    Well called!
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Well called!
    Well, if I'd only put my money where my mouth is...

Ireland
    Ha ha...hilarious.

Still, a choice between Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dumber isn't much of a choice. I reckon a lot of Democratic voters just couldn't bring themselves to vote for a scrag like Clinton.

Things will carry on pretty much the same. It doesn't really matter who the President actually is, that's just like changing speakers on a stereo. But, just like there was a lot of disapointed Obama voters, there'll be a lot of disapointed Trump voters too, when in the next couple of years he's done nothing of what he's actually said he's going to do.

Which I suppose is a good thing, considering the tripe he's come out with over the last 18 months.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Attached Images

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany