Thread: Us (film)

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed

Us (film)

Surprised there's no thread for this. Jordan Peele's new horror film. Trailer below.

I saw it yesterday and I enjoyed it. I'll go into depth about it if anyone else has seen it. It's got a lot to watch for and it's very well paced and times. It's not as humorous as Get Out but there are moments when something they've set up earlier gets a very good payoff. Once again, it does feature some racially charged imagery but that's probably only gonna fly well in the states I think (a country obsessed with race). However the main focus of the story seems to comment on something else entirely - and to be honest I don't think it does a great job of it.

So in summary, a neat and very well executed horror and suspense film with elements of various different subgenres. But while it succeedes in suspense and excitement it's unfortunately not scary. Also the film is burdened with an affinity for symbolism which gets in your face after awhile and leads the story down a route which feels forced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qEQmpprzSM

Administrator

England
    Seeing the week after next...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Pfft, whatever Ned, I thought the film was brilliant, start to finish. I probably need to rewatch to give a truly informed critique, but from what I remember, it was bonkers good. Better than Get Out, IMO.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    ^ Ned said he liked it overall...?

I’ve been very much looking forward to Us, but have yet to have the time to check it out. Definitely will see it ASAP!

Even more excited for the premiere of Peele’s The Twilight Zone next week!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    ^ Ned said he liked it overall...?

I’ve been very much looking forward to Us, but have yet to have the time to check it out. Definitely will see it ASAP!

Even more excited for the premiere of Peele’s The Twilight Zone next week!
    OK. I'm realize that my gf and I live rather away from the world...to say the least. Sooo, there's a new Twilight Zone show coming out? What the hell else is going on out here??
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    OK. I'm realize that my gf and I live rather away from the world...to say the least. Sooo, there's a new Twilight Zone show coming out? What the hell else is going on out here??
    This also:

https://forum.homepageofthedead.com/...ad.php?t=24181

Let's face it: we are in the era of "remakes/re-imaginings". Showbiz seems to have run out of ideas.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    This also:

https://forum.homepageofthedead.com/...ad.php?t=24181

Let's face it: we are in the era of "remakes/re-imaginings". Showbiz seems to have run out of ideas.
    I just fell over. OK. That, the Twilight Zone and the Star Trek show I've never seen a minute of are enough. I've been living with my computers and giant movie/tv collection. I thought that was enough and nothing out here would interest me again after Supernatural went out on the tiles. I was wrong.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Administrator

England
    Alas thought too much of it was contrived daft w@nk!

It certainly had some nice elements to it, but for me not only was the entire premise daft w@nk, but there were too many other aspects such as where we see the typical horror trope of the main characters needlessly being immediately not killed over and over and over (where other secondary characters are) which also came across as basically laughable daft w@nk.

Came away ultimately just feel it was too up itself resulting in too much daft w@nk!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Is "daft w@nk" the new "oh dear"?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Is "daft w@nk" the new "oh dear"?
    Yes...!
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Alas thought too much of it was contrived daft w@nk!

It certainly had some nice elements to it, but for me not only was the entire premise daft w@nk, but there were too many other aspects such as where we see the typical horror trope of the main characters needlessly being immediately not killed over and over and over (where other secondary characters are) which also came across as basically laughable daft w@nk.

Came away ultimately just feel it was too up itself resulting in too much daft w@nk!
    Yeh. Felt the same. But then again, I thought 'Get Out' was horrifically over rated too.

Both movies are just pretty average fare, really, that have been vastly over-praised.

And neither is as smart as they like to think they are.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    So as an American that’s not too well versed on the lingo....”daft wank” is bad, right?