This is another WTF episode in a long line of WTF episodes. It's just nonsense. You can defend an action here or there, but the chain of events that led to this, and the ridiculous conclusion of their situation as a whole, is impossible to justify.

Negan wants ongoing tribute. They were at the brink of starvation when they made that stupid deal with the Hilltoppers. We know the Hilltoppers are being killed by Negan. What would make Rick think they could appease Negan? And that his children, or Daryl, or anyone is safer this way? Rick is being written as delusional just to further a lousy plot.

I will go back to a point I made a few episodes ago. Just Kill Negan! Negan's death will bring the Saviors down. Negan is a cult leader. He rules through charisma. The group(s) that became the Saviors under him were a band of thugs on the brink of disaster, as Dwight points out during episode 2. Yes, there MIGHT be backlash to killing Negan. But from who? His seconds in command appear to be Dwight and that "right hand man" guy. Those guys aren't leaders. They would each struggle to step up in Negan's place. Even if they do, eventually, the short term power vacuum would cause SO MUCH infighting in the Saviors that you'd easily have the upper hand. I mean ... are we really worried about outsmarting Dwight?!?

In the end, I'd accept the risk. Negan was ready to kill a woman over a clerical error. Inciting the remaining Saviors is no more dangerous than letting Negan come and kill you while you cower defenseless and starving.