Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TWD 7x05 "Go Getters" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN*

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 7x05 "Go Getters" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN*

Please keep all talk of episode 7x05 "Go Getters" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

Directed by: Darnell Martin
    Written by: Channing Powell

"Members of our group go to Hilltop."

Rising

United States
    If Maggie becomes the new leader of the Hilltop she will totally blow the whistle on her fake death back in Alexandria! Someone better inform her of the goings-on there or Rick & co. are going to be in deep manure.
    Last edited by JDP; 21-Nov-2016 at 02:27 PM. Reason: ;

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeah, this whole 'Maggie is dead' ruse is all a bit of a faff as well as a bugger up waiting to happen - you wonder if Maggie and Sasha were even in on it!

Man, I hate Gregory - what an absolute scumbag (I think I hate him more than Negan! At least Negan's entertaining!) - a coward, just as Maggie said. I can't wait to see her clash with that sod some more and get his shafted out the way for either her or Jesus to take over (Maggie with Jesus as her right hand man? Hershel would be proud! ) Xander Berkeley's doing a really good job portraying the character, though - just as much of a weasel as in the comics.

Loved Maggie taking out that armoured car with the tractor, as well as Jesus and Sasha kicking some walker bottom by firelight. Groovy to see plenty of Steven Ogg (as Simon) in this episode, too.

Carl ... man ... the kid needs a spankin'. But everyone thinks they know what's best as a teenager, you won't listen to reason, you act impetuously, and have no proper real world experience to shape your actions ... ... ergo, Carl never stays in the house!

Dug the bit where Jesus hopped on the truck, swigged from that bottle, and dumped it out the back - likewise, Gregory's face when he had to give up his entire stash of Scotch. Take that, ya bastard!

TWD 7x05 Memes:

United States
    Cons:
    Carl and Enid. I get it. They have to try and establish their relationship but the scenes involving them footing it over to the Hilltop were pretty cringeworthy. I was just begging for that roller skate scene to end. Carl's actions didn't bother me because that's his character; it's what he does.

The transition between the Hilltop battle scene to Carl and Enid was also jarring. The editing was a little clunky too during the actual fight and some walkers even looked a bit too fake. It happens.

The musical score; while usually always on point, was also dissapointing in this episode. Something was just off.

Pros:
    Gregory! As Minion pointed out, Berkley is doing a hell of a job making us hate this snake. He's a shit character and not in a bad way, but in a way that you are rooting for Maggie to put him in his place. Good stuff! What an asshole haha.

Simon! This guy is really working as a villain. Someone that is a show exclusive, I'm just so engaged whenever this guy is on the screen. Combined with Gregory, their scenes really worked! I hope he sticks around for a while.

Maggie, Sasha, and Jesus. You really do feel for Maggie in this one. When she told Gregory her name was "Maggie Rhee", that was really a feel good moment. I also dig how she's being set up as someone who isn't gonna spend the rest of the season moping but will grow to become an even more powerful character and I love that. Sasha's loyalty goes back to season 4 when these two started to bond and it carried over into season 6 during "Them" and it's even more powerful in season 7. Loved the watch and cigar callbacks too. Jesus is actually being built up to the character we all love from the books and I believe it's a smart decision. Nice to see some Kung Fu moves as well. The ending was nice too.

Not a bad episode. Good set up for Maggie and things to come.

One last thing concerning the preview for next week and I'll keep this spoiler free. Did they really hide what's next for ratings purposes? That seems kinda weak to me. I really can't wait until the bottle episodes are over tbh.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

United States
    Pretty good episode, but wow do they have a lot of locales to bounce back and forth between now.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Gregory! As Minion pointed out, Berkley is doing a hell of a job making us hate this snake. He's a shit character and not in a bad way, but in a way that you are rooting for Maggie to put him in his place. Good stuff! What an asshole haha.

Simon! This guy is really working as a villain. Someone that is a show exclusive, I'm just so engaged whenever this guy is on the screen. Combined with Gregory, their scenes really worked! I hope he sticks around for a while.
    Totally agree. Both these guys really turned in some solid work.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

England
    Enjoyed this episode. I feel sorry for Gregory. What else can he do now we know how Negan operates?
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Enjoyed this episode. I feel sorry for Gregory. What else can he do now we know how Negan operates?
    He already had a good idea of how Negan operated before. The Saviors who manned the now wiped-out outpost were taking half of the Hilltop's stuff. Business as usual for the Saviors.

What I don't get is how did the Saviors manage to open the gates, park the car and light the bonfires without anyone noticing! You mean to tell me that the Hilltoppers do NOT post any guards at night when everyone else in the community is sleeping??? If that's so, I wonder how could they possibly have survived this long!

Ireland
    /\

Yeh, that struck me as well. There were really no lookouts posted? Really?

I was expecting a scene to reveal that the saviors had killed or captured guards or lookouts. But none happened. Very poor oversight IMO.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    He already had a good idea of how Negan operated before. The Saviors who manned the now wiped-out outpost were taking half of the Hilltop's stuff. Business as usual for the Saviors.

What I don't get is how did the Saviors manage to open the gates, park the car and light the bonfires without anyone noticing! You mean to tell me that the Hilltoppers do NOT post any guards at night when everyone else in the community is sleeping??? If that's so, I wonder how could they possibly have survived this long!
    Very true. Also, Hilltop looks barren as hell. Compared to the Kingdom it resembles our Survivors very first camp when Shane was in charge. Bring some life to Hilltop!
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeah - the practicality of The Saviours getting all that set up is a bit squiffy. I'd have liked some confirmation of some sort to address the "but how?" factor of that.

They said on Talking Dead that The Saviours locked the doors of all the cabins (and of course we all know Gregory is a coward, locked away in his room). It seemed like maybe most of the Hilltop was asleep, but yeah - no sentries? The door locking thing then asks the question - how do The Saviours have keys to all those cabins?

Looking elsewhere in the episode, it seemed to suggest that Maggie's fake death ruse was pre-meditated, with Jesus and Sasha both clued up on it. They must have figured that out before they left the batting zone/were on the road. I'm not entirely convinced about their reasoning for needing to come up with that fake death story ... did they know Negan would try to recruit her as a new wife or something? The logic of this subplot is wonky. It's not damaging the rest of the episodes in any big way, but at the moment - unless I've not picked up on something - that subplot doesn't fully make sense. In a certain context it does - but to arrive at that context it requires certain things to allow that to happen, which don't entirely add up.

Maggie's "I'm Maggie Rhee" moment kicked arse. Glenn's death is a big thing for Maggie, kick-starting a whole new story for her potentially, so I'm looking forward to seeing that play out.

The Hilltop is a much smaller community - especially compared to The Kingdom, for example - but it did feel a bit sparsely populated this episode, I guess.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 22-Nov-2016 at 04:26 PM.

England
    Yeah the saviours fires scene was very awkward. Just thrown in there. Editing, as well as the writing, can be all over the place as we already know.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Administrator

England
    Little bit of a myeh episode for me this one...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Little bit of a myeh episode for me this one...
    Understandable. There is some good stuff sprinkled in but some questionable material also intertwined.

I also didn't realize The Saviors locked everyone into their homes, which explains why many didn't come out to help. Another thing, were those fresh walkers being hung at the gates or already rotted ones? Might explain what happened to the guards. *shrugs*

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Understandable. There is some good stuff sprinkled in but some questionable material also intertwined.

I also didn't realize The Saviors locked everyone into their homes, which explains why many didn't come out to help. Another thing, were those fresh walkers being hung at the gates or already rotted ones? Might explain what happened to the guards. *shrugs*
    Mmm ... little things like that need to be explained more, the mechanics of a scene, the logic of it. A few brief lines of explanation, a couple of cutaways for reference and clarity. I only knew about the door locking because of Talking Dead - but something like that needs to be clear from the episode. We saw that Jesus' cabin was locked (so they went through the roof), but I didn't understand from the episode (until TD informed me) that all the cabins were locked.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Mmm ... little things like that need to be explained more, the mechanics of a scene, the logic of it. A few brief lines of explanation, a couple of cutaways for reference and clarity. I only knew about the door locking because of Talking Dead - but something like that needs to be clear from the episode. We saw that Jesus' cabin was locked (so they went through the roof), but I didn't understand from the episode (until TD informed me) that all the cabins were locked.
    Yeah, same here. All they had to do was have Simon explain to Gregory that they locked everyone in so the Walkers wouldn't get in and The Saviors would have then come in and did their "Service", wouldn't have been hard.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 24-Nov-2016 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Happy Thanksgiving!