Thread: Las Vegas shooting

Administrator

England

Las Vegas shooting

Horrific! Over 50 dead and over 200 injured... Gun control will surely come into question again?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41466116

EDIT: Over 400 injured!

EDIT: Over 500 injured!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Terrible stuff. Been reading about it this morning.

That must have been terrifying.

I not only think gun control needs looking at, but mental issues too. Apparently this guy also had a criminal record.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Police found 23 guns in his hotel room, as well as "in excess of" 19 firearms and explosives at his Nevada home
    Bonkers!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    That's nearly the amount of weapons an average platoon carries.

Although, he didn't have a criminal record. Early reports on that were off. But there's reports of gambling debts. So, it sounds like it all got a bit much for him and he decided to go out, while taking a few innocents with him.

Seriously though, if you have someone amassing an arsenal of that nature and size, there's something seriously wrong.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    That's nearly the amount of weapons an average platoon carries.

Although, he didn't have a criminal record. Early reports on that were off. But there's reports of gambling debts. So, it sounds like it all got a bit much for him and he decided to go out, while taking a few innocents with him.

Seriously though, if you have someone amassing an arsenal of that nature and size, there's something seriously wrong.
    Why should you be allowed to own so many weapons and so much ammunition?

And if I've read right, the NRA want to legalise silencers? Because that of course makes everyone even safer!
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    And Trump is in their pocket too. But I don't see that happening now.

Thank christ.

Who "needs" a silencer?

FFS.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post

Who "needs" a silencer?
    Special government agents, assassins and... hunters. I knew a hunter who made his own rifle silencers. I was in his workshop and saw how he made them. He even lent a me a book on the subject, which is where he learnt how to make them.

Ireland
    The first two get their silencers anyway. They're government agents/assassins. I'm talking about the public at large.

Hunters don't NEED silencers. They're never NEEDED silencers in over a century that humans have been hunting game.

Besides a "silencer" (suppressor) is pretty useless for hunting by and large. Most of them (not all) will reduce velocity and accuracy and it doesn't really silence the weapon, like in the movies. Any animal that's a target will still hear the weapon and make a break. All you're doing when you attach a suppressor to a hunting rifle is reducing your chance to hit the target.

It's also EXTREMELY dangerous for people, other than the hunters, who happen to be in the same area that will find it harder to hear when a hunter is in the same woods are they are and take the appropriate action - i.e. GTFO.

The lobby wants people to believe this is all about "hearing protection" for the hunter, but that's a load of old pony really.

It's about money.

There's also a serious concern regarding suppressors helping criminality. Someone buys and gun and suppresses it and breaks into a house. They can off the occupants and the neighbours probably wouldn't know about it. Meanwhile the guy who's done the deed gets away.
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 04-Oct-2017 at 09:38 AM. Reason: .