Thread: Nintendo Switch (console)

Administrator

England

Nintendo Switch (console)

So, will Nintendo's latest console do better than their last (Wii U) one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5uik5fgIaI
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I suppose Nintendo find themselves in a tricky position when trying to corner the 'casual gamer' market - they're casual, so as we saw with the Wii, you had a lot of people buying the console but then not buying many games (with the Wii's themselves gathering dust in a corner eventually). Meanwhile, the PS4 and XB1 both go for the hardcore/committed gamer crowd who buy a lot of games and spend plenty of time on their consoles.

There's some neat ideas in there, but whether it'll actually work in practice (e.g. battery lifetime, what those dinky controllers feel like to actually use) ... not that I'll ever buy one, to be frank. I've just hopped on to XB1 and I've never been all that interested in Nintendo, personally - each to their own - but I started out with Sega, went to PC, then hopped over to Xbox.

Administrator

England
    Indeed.. You have the big boy consoles (Xbox and PS etc), and then Nintento seemingly are trying to find a niche which even tablets and phones are surely cutting into too?

My kids still play on the Wii from time to time, mainly due to its social gameplay. eg: Mario Karts and Wii Sports Resort etc... And it's interface with things like Netflicks (thanks to the controllers pointer) is brilliant. Just a shame the output isn't HD!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Indeed.. You have the big boy consoles (Xbox and PS etc), and then Nintento seemingly are trying to find a niche which even tablets and phones are surely cutting into too?

My kids still play on the Wii from time to time, mainly due to its social gameplay. eg: Mario Karts and Wii Sports Resort etc... And it's interface with things like Netflicks (thanks to the controllers pointer) is brilliant. Just a shame the output isn't HD!
    Aye, there's a place for it, but the casual aspect is it's biggest weakness while simultaneously being its whole driving force.

I was on holiday with a bunch of friends a couple of years back and the flat we were staying in had a Wii, so we ended up playing a fair bit of that (Mario Kart, Wii Sports Resort or something similar, IIRC) in the down time between excursions. A bit of fun - but exceedingly casual - as easy to pick up as it was to put down (and the latter is the trouble with casual gaming). Plus, as you say, the use of tablets/phones for casual games will surely - surely - cut into the Nintendo end of the market. When the Wii came out originally there wasn't as much of that super casual gaming on phones/tablets - now though, there is.

United States
    Nintendo has their loyal supporters and as long as they keep buying, they'll keep making systems.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Two years on and Switch is my go to system.
    It's mostly for the classic ports like Okami, Outlast, the recent Final Fantasy games, the forthcoming Resident Evil ports. I am continually impressed by what Switch is getting, Mortal Kombat 11 is the latest in unlikely ports.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Funny since my last post a lot's happened like the Switch has had a update that 'overclock's the system resulting in stable framerates in a few games, Nintendo announced two models: the first is just a battery revision for the standard model, the second is a portable only system likely for their upcoming Pokemon games.
    Personally I am just waiting for a upgrade similar to DSi or New 3DS, just a simple hardware revision allowing a few extra apps and to have a stable 720p resolution for Xenoblade 2 in portable and maybe a cleaner 720p Doom 2016 or Wolfenstein 2 on the TV.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Rottedfreak View Post
    Two years on and Switch is my go to system.
    It's mostly for the classic ports like Okami, Outlast, the recent Final Fantasy games, the forthcoming Resident Evil ports. I am continually impressed by what Switch is getting, Mortal Kombat 11 is the latest in unlikely ports.
    Had my first true go on one this weekend, and I can envisage it replacing our Wii as the family console
    -Carl Sagan

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    IDK about y'all, but I'm saving up to get the Lite when it drops (even if the color choices leave much to be desired)

United States
    I think Nintendo did pretty alright with the Switch.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

England
    I treated myself to a turquoise lite for christmas and its got lots and lots of use.
    Just waiting for the modchip to release now
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA