Thread: Twenty Years...

Administrator

England

Twenty Years...

Twenty years ago today, a simple website was uploaded to the internet, called 'Fozznet' (via a 56k modem if I recall). Part of this website included the first incarnation of 'Homepage of the Dead'. Since then the site has slowly grown into something far bigger than I could ever have envisaged back then.

I hope it's proved of some interest to both ardent Romero fans or even just visitors with a casual interest. And I'd especially like to thank everyone who has helped the site in anyway in the past, and to those who continue to do so today - eg: sending in information, submitting articles, contribution fiction, or helping out on the forums (eg: setting them up and moderating). Many many thanks!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Happy Birthday HPOTD!

20 years, eh? How time flies. I have fond memories of coming here back in the DiscussionApp days (long before VBB, before the Loom version of the board, even). I remember discussing the GAR flicks feverishly with the forum folks and reading through the site as that themetune played in the background. Good times.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Happy Birthday HPOTD!

20 years, eh? How time flies. I have fond memories of coming here back in the DiscussionApp days (long before VBB, before the Loom version of the board, even). I remember discussing the GAR flicks feverishly with the forum folks and reading through the site as that themetune played in the background. Good times.
    Yeh... The forum was hosted on some free forums for a while wasn't it if I recall?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Fresh Meat

United States
    Congrats gang!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I came here for the fiction section. I remember that much...

United States
    Wow 20 years, congrats! Love this place.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Thanks for everything! I think I found this place in the early 2000's while looking up info on Day, which I had seen when I was younger, yet had somehow never made the transition to Night, Dawn, and all things Romero/horror. These films and this genre essentially changed my life, and this place has played a huge part in that.

This place has been my little internet home for many years and given me many great internet friends that I truly enjoy conversing with. Cheers to all.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Thanks for everything! I think I found this place in the early 2000's while looking up info on Day, which I had seen when I was younger, yet had somehow never made the transition to Night, Dawn, and all things Romero/horror. These films and this genre essentially changed my life, and this place has played a huge part in that.

This place has been my little internet home for many years and given me many great internet friends that I truly enjoy conversing with. Cheers to all.
    Very much likewise.

Long live HPOTD!

Just been bitten

Scotland
    This was the first forum I joined when I got my first PC in 1999/00. Wildee was the original user name until the 2006 move.
    I loved this place. We didn't have a lot of zombie movies to discuss back then. There was the guy that was the survivalist, can't recall his username but his avatar was a grizzly. His "what if threads" were entertaining. We just discussed night through to day, inside and out. The board was always busy with the same rehashed scenarios, questions. Now we have a tonne of zombie related content and there is rarely a post a week.... unless there is another secret lobby???
    I loved the reading the fiction section with the music MZ mentions above in the background.

Remember when we had the guy associated with Dawn 04 tell us about the zombie baby, but reassured us it wasn't going to be a tacky mess of a scene? Greg Nicatero popped in now and again.

I remember the absolute joy on the forum when the news of Land of the Dead being made broke.
    The forum was my main haunt. The first site I logged on to each day. They were great times.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicMoonMonkey View Post
    There was the guy that was the survivalist, can't recall his username but his avatar was a grizzly. His "what if threads" were entertaining.

We just discussed night through to day, inside and out. The board was always busy with the same rehashed scenarios, questions. Now we have a tonne of zombie related content and there is rarely a post a week.

Remember when we had the guy associated with Dawn 04 tell us about the zombie baby, but reassured us it wasn't going to be a tacky mess of a scene?

Greg Nicotero popped in now and again.

I remember the absolute joy on the forum when the news of Land of the Dead being made broke.
    1) IIRC you're referencing CrappingBear.

2) We've mostly exhausted a lot of those threads or topics over the years, though. There's a lot of content now, but a large chunk of it isn't really worth discussing or brings nothing new to the table to talk about. TWD is our main source of zombie-chat nutrition.

3) I don't recall that particular time, but good lord that zombie baby scene in the remake sucked big time. Cringe to the max.

4) He did?!

5) And the battles between lovers and haters of the movie that raged on afterwards ... such as the topic of money (I'm still having flashbacks about that thread! ).

Just been bitten

Scotland
    Ah CrappingBear. Ex Marine. He was my favourite. Then the was Cap'nknut or something like that. My wee Irish buddy Paul Annette.

Maybe Neil will remember when Nicotero was around. It wasn't like regular. Nicotero sent me one of those Day of the Dead newspapers he sells at the roadshows.
    The wrath of the many when the secret invite lobby was revealed. I am sure there was even a chatroom at one point where we all got to chat in real time.

Great times.

Ireland
    I remember first coming here in, must have been around 98, to read the original script for 'Day of the Dead'. I was looking for pics of Bub in work and one of the hits was this place. I didn't even know there was an "original" script.

Kept coming back for the interesting discussion and good community.

Finally worked up the courage to actually join about 10 years later.

Anyway, 20 years? Jesus wept.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....