Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TWD 7x11 "Hostiles and Calamities" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN*

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Eugene really has it good haha. Video games, books, good food, lady friends, etc. I can see him and Laura getting close. This episode really got me thinking, how come Rick doesn't have Eugene secure the walls like Negan quickly did. Negan even mentioned it. Eugene is quite useful! What the heck does he do in Alexandria all day? Haha.
    Alexandria's walls already look pretty secure, more than the ones at the Savior compound.

We have seen Eugene repairing/installing things around Alexandria and also for the Savior "tributes" before, so Rick has been employing him as a technician/handyman as well. He is like a nerd version of MacGyver (he even has the mullet ) It's what Eugene is good at, and the reason why he has been able to survive so far into this messed up world.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    ...we also learn that the Saviors have somehow managed to scavenge an Atari 2600 and at least one game for it.
    Just re-watched the episode and from what Eugene says it seems that they at least found two games for it. The other game he mentions they can play is Warlords:

Which also means that the Saviors must also have found the paddle controllers to play it.

Administrator

England
    Question. When Eugene said he was Negan's head science type department dude... Was he telling the truth, or bluffing?

My understanding is that he is "Negan" and can take what ever he wants to, but I don't recall him being declared having a role?

He clearly does like the way these other people were being treated, so didn't want to "stomp" on them, but changed his colours and did!?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Question. When Eugene said he was Negan's head science type department dude... Was he telling the truth, or bluffing?

He clearly does like the way these other people were being treated, so didn't want to "stomp" on them, but changed his colours and did!?
    While we didn't seem him necessarily given that sort of title officially, that's exactly what he's there to do for them - all the nerdy stuff they'd never think of etc.

I'd imagine Eugene was the sort of person who grew up getting bullied throughout high school, and now he's in a position of power over other people and he doesn't quite know how to handle it or exercise it ... plus the whirlwind of emotions he'd be having as a result of being kidnapped in the wake of all the shit that went down in 7x08.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    While we didn't seem him necessarily given that sort of title officially, that's exactly what he's there to do for them - all the nerdy stuff they'd never think of etc.

I'd imagine Eugene was the sort of person who grew up getting bullied throughout high school, and now he's in a position of power over other people and he doesn't quite know how to handle it or exercise it ... plus the whirlwind of emotions he'd be having as a result of being kidnapped in the wake of all the shit that went down in 7x08.
    Going to be interesting to see if Eugene gets more and more into the power Negan gives him!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    The way that Negan questioned Eugene about Rick not utilizing him the way Negan just did followed by the way Eugene looked at him made me think Dr Porter kinda felt underutilized and appreciated. lol I think Negan treated him better than Rosita.

It's an interesting setup for Eugene. His story can go either way. If he follows the rules he'll be pretty safe and c'mon, let's be real- video games and popcorn. Haha. I like it.

Also, he was totally fluffing his credentials to Negan, just like he did Abraham.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 01-Mar-2017 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Yars' Revenge
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Administrator

England
    Also, he was totally fluffing his credentials to Negan, just like he did Abraham.
    He can make bullets... Nuff said
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    I don't have much to add this week. Simply, I like Eugene. Not sure why so much focus on Sanctuarys Atari 2600. The 5200 was much better. And secondly, our first day in Alexandria Coral is introduced to video games at porch dicks house.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    I don't have much to add this week. Simply, I like Eugene. Not sure why so much focus on Sanctuarys Atari 2600. The 5200 was much better. And secondly, our first day in Alexandria Coral is introduced to video games at porch dicks house.
    Not this vintage, though. It's just too funny that the Saviors have scavenged an Atari 2600. Did they raid a video game collector's pad?

Incidentally, it is very difficult to believe that no one in TWD knows the word "zombie" when in fact one of the very first ZOMBIE themed video games was for the Atari 2600:

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/s...ad.php?t=23579

- - - Updated - - -

The way that Negan questioned Eugene about Rick not utilizing him the way Negan just did followed by the way Eugene looked at him made me think Dr Porter kinda felt underutilized and appreciated. lol I think Negan treated him better than Rosita.

It's an interesting setup for Eugene. His story can go either way. If he follows the rules he'll be pretty safe and c'mon, let's be real- video games and popcorn. Haha. I like it.

Negan is giving Eugene the "royal treatment", actually. Most of the Saviors themselves do not have it as good as he does. Let's hope it doesn't end up back-firing on him eventually, as it happened with Abraham, who punched him silly when his farce was uncovered. Negan is not going to be as "nice" as Abraham.
    Last edited by JDP; 01-Mar-2017 at 08:43 PM. Reason: ;

Super Moderator

UK
    Not this vintage, though. It's just too funny that the Saviors have scavenged an Atari 2600. Did they raid a video game collector's pad?

Incidentally, it is very difficult to believe that no one in TWD knows the word "zombie" when in fact one of the very first ZOMBIE themed video games was for the Atari 2600:

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/s...ad.php?t=23579
    In the TWD universe the word "zombie" doesn't exist, nor any zombie lore, so none of the characters have ever heard of the term let alone the concept of a zombie.

As for the creature comforts, it'll all be a part of the incentives for more loyal and motivated Saviours - to get their own room (as opposed to the camp beds in a big, open hall that the plebs of the Sanctuary get) with some snazzy things to occupy your downtime (Dwight is fond of sitcoms and has a TV/VCR set up, as we saw in an earlier episode). I'd imagine that once you've got your own room you're then permitted to scavenge things for yourself - videogames consoles etc would just be hanging out in any number of homes and left untouched - so they'd just pinch them for their own amusement. When you've got downtime, the zombie apocalypse must be ruddy boring without hobbies!

Ireland
    In the TWD universe the word "zombie" doesn't exist

I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Rising

United States
    In the TWD universe the word "zombie" doesn't exist, nor any zombie lore, so none of the characters have ever heard of the term let alone the concept of a zombie.
    But it seems like they should. For example, they have the same video game consoles, sitcoms and rock bands (ex: Merle listens to Motörhead; one of their songs mentions "the scratching zombie claw") we do. Too much "coincidence" to think that this is some "other universe". Their "universe" is just ours, except that the "zombies" have become a reality. The word should not be unknown to them.

This effort to avoid this word sounds much like how Romero tried to avoid it in his movies, except in Dawn, where the word did in fact somehow creep in into the dialogue and ruined the whole strange attempt to avoid it. So the people in Romero's "universe" do know the word after all, as it should be expected, since their "universe" is really just ours but with zombies having become a reality. Apparently most people just choose not to use the term.

United States
    But it seems like they should. For example, they have the same video game consoles, sitcoms and rock bands (ex: Merle listens to Motörhead; one of their songs mentions "the scratching zombie claw") we do. Too much "coincidence" to think that this is some "other universe". Their "universe" is just ours, except that the "zombies" have become a reality. The word should not be unknown to them.

This effort to avoid this word sounds much like how Romero tried to avoid it in his movies, except in Dawn, where the word did in fact somehow creep in into the dialogue and ruined the whole strange attempt to avoid it. So the people in Romero's "universe" do know the word after all, as it should be expected, since their "universe" is really just ours but with zombies having become a reality. Apparently most people just choose not to use the term.
    The word "Zombie" existed even before zombies were a thing in movies. "Jacob's Ladder" for example, was based off of real practices, drugged people to the point where they were on the brink of death but still technically alive; they were called zombies. The word predates NotLD and it goes perfectly with Peter's story about his ancestors which makes sense why he would use that Z word.

Me personally? Keep the word away if it ain't gonna be used right.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 02-Mar-2017 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Yeah yeah
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

UK
    Perhaps people use the words "walker" "roamer" "biter" etc, in the same way we nowadays use the words Dyson or Hoover, we all know that they're basically vacuum cleaners, but no one ever refers to them as that

Nice bit of contrast at the end there after Eugene declares for Negan, having him and Dwight side by side. each in a position of changing loyalties, also the visual shorthand of Eugene being all in a long black coat at the end directing the saviours. Definitely his "vader suit" moment.

Easy Street makes it's (un)welcome return too, but this time Eugene really IS on easy street compared to Alexandria. Video games, popcorn, all the books he can read and attractive women to show off his science skills to.

All things considered, i'm not sure this is a long game plan at all, Eugene is a coward, but he's also a survivor, and part of that is being able to take advantage of a situation. I think he will probably be Negan's loyal man until such a time as it becomes obvious that it's no longer a winning strategy. I really like Eugene. I hope this doesn't backfire and get his sorry ass killed.
    I'm hungry, but I'm not hungry hungry.

Super Moderator

UK
    Moon - IIRC the word goes back to the 19th Century with books written by explorers who visited Haiti and spoke of the voodoo ceremonies and stories. The flesh eating ghoul incarnation hits in the 1960s with Night of the Living Dead, but the common thread is the belief (or actuality) of someone having died and risen to walk the earth once again.

Their "universe" is just ours, except that the "zombies" have become a reality.
    If you can accept that it's like our universe except for the fact that the living dead are real, then you can accept that it can also be different bar one other little difference - that they have no concept for the living dead as a cultural phenomenon.

Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post

God damn I love that movie. I've seen it so many times, so I've been abstaining from watching it for a few years now to freshen it up again for myself. I might have to give it another spin some time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by UndeadHippo View Post
    Nice bit of contrast at the end there after Eugene declares for Negan, having him and Dwight side by side. each in a position of changing loyalties, also the visual shorthand of Eugene being all in a long black coat at the end directing the saviours. Definitely his "vader suit" moment.
    I chuckled at the fact that Eugene is crunching on a pickle and then Dwight shuffles out and they have that awkward conversation about Eugene biting his todger.

United States
    MZ- you are absolutely correct. The Z word goes way back. Haiti is most def the origin.