Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TWD 7x11 "Hostiles and Calamities" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN*

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 7x11 "Hostiles and Calamities" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN*

Please keep all talk of episode 7x11 "Hostiles and Calamities" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

Directed by: Kari Skogland
    Written by: David Leslie Johnson

Last edited by MinionZombie; 04-Mar-2017 at 10:20 AM.

United States
    I love Negan and all, but I really wanna see what Dwight is doing this episode.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Fresh Meat

United States

TWD | "Hostiles And Calamities" Episode: | *Spolier Warning*

“Hostiles and Calamities” Episode: / *SPOILER WARNING!*

Airdate: 26 February 2017:

-Okay, here we go! Short and sweet, just like last week! First off, it was a bit of a “bottle” episode that concentrated on just a few characters, many people have a problem with these, but I think that they are necessary for character development.

Dwight realizes he’s lost Daryl, then he also loses his footing on Negan’s “Ladder Of Success”! -He even winds up in Daryl's old room for a little while! Eugene makes a required visit to the Saviors and Negan even gives him the “nice” guest room, complete with pickles & Spaghetti O’s! All that and a bag of chips! For awhile he starts to think that maybe he’s arrived at, “703 Easy Street”!

Meanwhile, Negan starts to gets suspicious of Cherry because she is missing too! But Dwight “confesses” to the dirty deed of letting Dirty Daryl escape. -So… Dwight heads out to scoop up whom he can from his old homestead. -But instead, he finds that nobody’s home! With recriminations in tow, he heads back to Negan with a lie in his head and and a lot of guilt in his eyes.

Finally, Negan tells Eugene what he wants from him and Eugene repeats the lie that he originally told Abraham. (...the lie that originally bound them, one to the other.) I guess, Negan’s just a sucker for a large vocabulary and he decides that he’s met his new “Wing-man!” (Get it… “Wing-man!” LOL! )

-Eugene gets inspired when he actually gets to hang-out with some clean women! But… He is shocked when he discovers that these gal's may have a few issues of their own to sort out with Mr. Negan.

Later, Eugene wises up and discovers Negan’s true menace, when Negan gives him the 10 cent tour of the “Ironing-Room”! -Still... Negan’s gal’s just can’t seem to convince him to a get on, “The Warrior’s Path”!

So… Will Dwight ever find his true love? Will Cherry ever be found? -Will Lucille realize that Dwight is her true destiny… And, finally… Will Dr. Eugene actually get laid? -STAY TUNED!
    But for now…

That’s all she wrote.
    Last edited by katholiday; 27-Feb-2017 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Spelling error.

Ireland
    Wow. I completely forgot about mullet boy.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    I rather enjoyed this episode, Eugene really worked as the lead character here - we've got to know him gradually since Season 4, and he's certainly a stand out personality, so this one worked well in my opinion. It was also decidedly stronger over all that last week's.

He's getting crafty, too - notice how his face changes from whimpering small guy under Negan's thumb to the cockiness as he's lead away by the neck tattoo lady. Obviously he's still in deep shit and scared, but he's also calculating - he's engineered a 'worst case scenario' opt out for himself (the suicide pills), he's playing the 'I am Negan' game with convincing cowardice, and while he's helping The Saviours in some ways (the molten steel protected walkers on the fence - no headshots possible), I reckon he's also taking stock of the place quite carefully. Not only the layout, but the people as well - he'll be ideally placed to single out the ones who need to die and the ones who deserve to live (once they're freed from Negan's oppression).

It was quite funny at times with Eugene being Eugene, but there was some really good stuff with Dwight in there. Will Sherry turn up in Alexandria or one of the other communities somehow? Will one of Team Rick or their allies stumble across her and bring her into the fold (perfect insider knowledge under their protection)? Her letter to him, and his crumpled cigarette packet with her ciggy stub and their rings inside was a nice little touch. Much like Eugene, Dwight seems to be playing the long game - keeping his head down - but he also seems to be turning against Negan more and more in secret. He's entered the dark side and has realised quickly enough that there is hope for him, but he's got a lot of climbing to do to escape the hole he's dug for himself.

We also got a look inside the situation with Negan's wives - some have gone over (relatively) willingly, while others have been pushed into it by circumstance and are not dealing with their choice well.

TWD 7x11 Memes:

Rising

United States
    Pretty funny episode. Not only do we witness the strange transformation of a self-admitted wimp/coward into a "badass" but we also learn that the Saviors have somehow managed to scavenge an Atari 2600 and at least one game for it. What did they do, raid a vintage video game convention?

Negan killing the doctor did not make much sense, though. As far as we know, he is the only doctor (of general medicine; Eugene did not claim to have experience in that field, important to keep that in mind) at the Savior's compound. People with medical knowledge and experience would be too valuable in such a world to get rid of them so casually. Deanna, for example, agreed to execute Alexandria's doctor only after he killed her husband, while she had conveniently overlooked all the other rotten things he had done before that and only gave him "slaps in the wrist" for them.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Pretty funny episode. Not only do we witness the strange transformation of a self-admitted wimp/coward into a "badass" but we also learn that the Saviors have somehow managed to scavenge an Atari 2600 and at least one game for it. What did they do, raid a vintage video game convention?

Negan killing the doctor did not make much sense, though. As far as we know, he is the only doctor (of general medicine; Eugene did not claim to have experience in that field, important to keep that in mind) at the Savior's compound. People with medical knowledge and experience would be too valuable in such a world to get rid of them so casually. Deanna, for example, agreed to execute Alexandria's doctor only after he killed her husband, while she had conveniently overlooked all the other rotten things he had done before that and only gave him "slaps in the wrist" for them.
    Negan already addressed this. "Good thing we have another Dr Carson."

Hilltop's Doc is the brother of the poor guy that Negan disposed of. I take it Negan will be paying the Hilltop a visit soon.

Anybody here had a copy of Yar's Revenge? Haha.

I really enjoyed this one.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Negan already addressed this. "Good thing we have another Dr Carson."

Hilltop's Doc is the brother of the poor guy that Negan disposed of. I take it Negan will be paying the Hilltop a visit soon.
    OK, thanks for clarifying that. Was this specifically established in any episode of the show? I can't remember this detail of both doctors being related. I thought that Negan was referring to Eugene when he made the comment of having a "spare" doctor, since he was looking at him when he said that.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    OK, thanks for clarifying that. Was this specifically established in any episode of the show? I can't remember this detail of both doctors being related. I thought that Negan was referring to Eugene when he made the comment of having a "spare" doctor, since he was looking at him when he said that.
    Yes, the show went out of their way to establish both doctors were named "Carson". Also, this isn't a comic storyline transitioned to screen, completely new. I'm just assuming it's a way to have Negan go to the Hilltop and confront Maggie again. Of course I could be wrong.

Ireland
    Spending the apocalypse playing Yars Revenge. I'd join The Saviours for that.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Moon - thanks for the clarification on the Dr Carson situation ... I was watching it and there was something buzzing about in the back of my mind about it.

Negan killed their Doctor - as well as his reaction over Lucille getting shot - shows a weakness in his control. I wonder if the underlings in Savioursville will get to grumbling about that? Allowing himself to lose control like that won't win him any fans and will erode the fear and respect he has gained from his loyal subjects.

When Eugene pledged his allegience to Negan in the penultimate scene it sounded so much like a romantic comedy when the two unrequited lovers finally admit their feelings for one another. Eugene's totally lying, of course, Dr Smarty Pants is playing the game and putting his RPG skills to use. Notice how he re-employed his 'Human Genome Project' spiel that he'd originally used on Abraham when they first met way back when.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Spending the apocalypse playing Yars Revenge. I'd join The Saviours for that.
    They really got it good, huh? Eugene is back home it seems.

You're welcome, MZ. Now we gotta see if Negan himself goes to the Hilltop or if he sends Simon.

Super Moderator

UK
    They really got it good, huh?
    If you're on the inside of Negan's crew then yeah - you live pretty good and you can lord it over other people - so the mentality of (most) of those loyal to Negan will be similar and susceptible to enjoying that aspect of life under Negan's rule. Meanwhile the ones scruffing about are probably quite weak and have been there since the early days - if they'd been out on their own most would have probably perished by now - so they're too weak and cowed to do anything but endure the downsides.

Meanwhile the likes of neck tattoo lady (Laura?) and Simon have it pretty sweet. Seeing how Eugene reacted to his time at The Sanctuary perfectly illustrates how and why certain people would flourish under Negan's rule and be loyal to him (even if they have problems with him deep down). Although, I don't see Eugene becoming loyal to Negan's crew - he's just playing along to survive and is on the lookout for opportunities to help Team Rick.

United States
    Eugene really has it good haha. Video games, books, good food, lady friends, etc. I can see him and Laura getting close. This episode really got me thinking, how come Rick doesn't have Eugene secure the walls like Negan quickly did. Negan even mentioned it. Eugene is quite useful! What the heck does he do in Alexandria all day? Haha.

Super Moderator

UK
    Eugene really has it good haha. Video games, books, good food, lady friends, etc. I can see him and Laura getting close. This episode really got me thinking, how come Rick doesn't have Eugene secure the walls like Negan quickly did. Negan even mentioned it. Eugene is quite useful! What the heck does he do in Alexandria all day? Haha.
    Perhaps Eugene's skills haven't been used so much, or he's only just beginning to fully realise his potential.

Negan's far more twisted than Rick would ever be - so having a wall of tied up walkers wouldn't phase Negan, and Rick would never think of such a thing. Team Rick more think of defending themselves against the walkers (hence the cars with those traps that Morgan had set up in Season 3), whereas Negan is seeking to weaponise the walkers in one way or another.