Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TWD 7x12 "Say Yes" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN*

Administrator

England
    An enjoyable episode mostly...

Although I did see the roof cave in coming from a mile off, but I'd assumed it would end unhappily
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Have to admit I'm getting kinda bored with the show at the moment. This is another episode that I only half watched, because it just didn't drag me in. I actually can't wait for this season to be over TBH. Because I think the next one will put some meat back on the bones, as it were. This one is just so limp.

Another thing. I find the Rick/Michonne romance to be bloody awful. I'm not convinced at all. Perhaps it was because it was all too whizz ping - instant relationship, or something. There was nary a glad eye thrown around and all of a sudden they're rubbing parts together. I don't know what it is. But, I do know it sits wrong with me.

How many more episodes left?
    Man, I kinda agree on the season; I also can't wait for it to end. This is all just buildup for what we already know what's gonna happen. Just get to All Out War already and stop dragging.

4 episodes left.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Man, I kinda agree on the season; I also can't wait for it to end. This is all just buildup for what we already know what's gonna happen. Just get to All Out War already and stop dragging.

4 episodes left.
    War needs a build up to work IMO. But I agree about show in general. I love the people and show but its best days have past. Its longevity is quickly becoming its downfall.

Administrator

England
    Must admit bowl haircut group still annoy me - How is it they've lost the ability to talk normally?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    War needs a build up to work IMO. But I agree about show in general. I love the people and show but its best days have past. Its longevity is quickly becoming its downfall.
    I love good build ups, however, mixing in the bottle episodes aren't doing them any favors and are just slowing the story down for me. We probably won't get back to Rosita and Sasha until the finale.

I believe the show is still strong. They just have to switch up the story format for the next season. It's getting tired.

Neil, I don't like that group either. They tried getting cute with them and it doesn't work.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 08-Mar-2017 at 07:08 PM. Reason: ��
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    I love good build ups, however, mixing in the bottle episodes aren't doing them any favors and are just slowing the story down for me. We probably won't get back to Rosita and Sasha until the finale.

I believe the show is still strong. They just have to switch up the story format for the next season. It's getting tired.

Neil, I don't like that group either. They tried getting cute with them and it doesn't work.
    I agree about bottle. And I hope the garbage kids are all dead by 08-02

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    I agree about bottle. And I hope the garbage kids are all dead by 08-02
    I'm assuming they were added just to fill out the back half until the finale. They are just bodies to be killed during the war. At least I hope so.

Super Moderator

UK

1) Agreed. The plotting/pacing of this season has been it's greatest weakness. Too many episodes (especially in 7A) where you were just lumped with one single story, or two plots within the same brand new location, and the tidal wave of new faces was too overbearing (Oceanside being the main culprit there - they were the straw that broke the camel's back). There is a whiff of waiting for 'season ends' to do the big things, but you've got all this time to fill-in in the meantime. Sometimes it works (I rather enjoyed this episode), and sometimes it doesn't (Oceanside, meh).

2) Yeah, The Scavengers piss me off. They're irritating and feel out of place with the feel of the show. I know we've got a Tiger in it now, but at least they grounded it quickly ... it still has the potential to look silly should Shiva get in on the war effort, but at least they made it make enough sense in the Kingdom's first episode. Likewise for Ezekiel. Oceanside were too arsey, I know they've been through shit but so have the rest of them. That psycho moppet was the most annoying part of the episode. The Scavengers come off as way too smug and that's grating (Jadis comes off as particularly smug with that sneering look all the damn time), and the 'circle march, all in black' aspect was rather eye rolling, to be frank. They haven't grounded them at all yet and it's a problem.

I think TWD could even benefit from an episode cut from 16 down to 12 - so two doses of six. You'd have less time to fill and the pacing would naturally speed up as a result. Of course, if they did that then the clickbait'o'sphere would have a field day and create a 'downfall of TWD' narrative to spoon feed to the masses.

I absolutely agree that we need to get shot of this feeling of 'lying in wait'. The middle episodes need more oomph and purpose, there needs to be something more driving the overall story forward without separating everyone out. We need more problems for them to face and solve so there's a greater sense of achievement in the story - so that the characters have more to do. At the moment it's all about The Saviours. It's a big problem, but it's one problem. Everything else is tied in with that and is being dragged out a bit.

I love this show, but Season 7 has been the most inconsistent since Season 3. There's been some awesome episodes, and 7x01 is one of the all-time greats - one of the very best episodes in the entire run - but the show has struggled to recover from such an amazing start to the season.

I'm hoping that Season 8 will rectify the faults of Season 7 and that Gimple & Co are listening carefully to the concerns of fans. It's still a great show, but Season 7 has tied them up in too many knots and hung a weight or two around their neck. They need to rediscover the vitality and consistency of seasons 4 and 5.

United States
    You can't have episodes 1, 8, 9, and 16 the only episodes that matter. At this point you can skip everything else and still be satisfied. That's not good. They really have to switch it up. Remember 3x4 "The Killer Within"? That came out of nowhere. We need more of that so every episode is can't miss.

Super Moderator

UK
    You can't have episodes 1, 8, 9, and 16 the only episodes that matter. At this point you can skip everything else and still be satisfied. That's not good. They really have to switch it up. Remember 3x4 "The Killer Within"? That came out of nowhere. We need more of that so every episode is can't miss.
    Oh, man - 3x04 was nuts! A definite blind side moment, that one was, and it was one of the best ever episodes to boot!

Season 7 definitely feels too beholden to premieres and finales in its structuring. It was edging that way a little bit in Season 6, but having recently re-watched Season 6, it's a darn good season all said and far, far more consistent and pacy than Season 7. Not every episode can be - nor should be - full force, you absolutely need the peaks and troughs to play out during the entire season. The problems with Season 7 are primarily related to pacing and story structure.

I've seen some comments elsewhere online pissing and moaning about this episode ... to be honest that doesn't make any real sense to me, because this one was really good fun throughout. Perhaps, for some people, these 'good bottle' episodes (as opposed to 'bad bottle' episodes ) have been negatively affected in the context of too many bottle episodes in general.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Oh, man - 3x04 was nuts! A definite blind side moment, that one was, and it was one of the best ever episodes to boot!

Season 7 definitely feels too beholden to premieres and finales in its structuring. It was edging that way a little bit in Season 6, but having recently re-watched Season 6, it's a darn good season all said and far, far more consistent and pacy than Season 7. Not every episode can be - nor should be - full force, you absolutely need the peaks and troughs to play out during the entire season. The problems with Season 7 are primarily related to pacing and story structure.

I've seen some comments elsewhere online pissing and moaning about this episode ... to be honest that doesn't make any real sense to me, because this one was really good fun throughout. Perhaps, for some people, these 'good bottle' episodes (as opposed to 'bad bottle' episodes ) have been negatively affected in the context of too many bottle episodes in general.
    That's exactly what it is. The bottle episode has been the constant the last couple seasons. Season 5 did it right. The last great "oh shit!" episode they had that was non premier/finale was "Spend" where multiple deaths occurred including the most brutal zombie death to date. "Thank you" would have been a classic if it wasn't for the infamous dumpster.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 09-Mar-2017 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Bold

Administrator

England
    Anyone else notice the bambi cameo?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    OK... I had to think about that one for a moment

Nice!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post

Terrible compositing, wasn't it? Yeesh!

United States
    Ah ha! There it is. Someone finally brought up the deer haha.