Thread: Current security alert about the forum

Administrator

England

Current security alert about the forum

As of yesterday morning Google seems to have taken a dislike to HPotD's forum which means you can get a warning when visiting it. We are investigating...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    I've been pulled out of retirement to have a look at this one guys, I've done a lot of work on the forums today which may impact some features.. If you see anything that's not working correctly please can you let me know.

Administrator

England
    Can't thank Andy enough!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    As of yesterday morning Google seems to have taken a dislike to HPotD's forum which means you can get a warning when visiting it. We are investigating...
    I have been getting these warnings for a couple of days now. The only way so far to get through to the forums is either turn off Google Chrome's "protection" or enter the forums via Internet Explorer, which does not give the warning or block the site.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    I have been getting these warnings for a couple of days now. The only way so far to get through to the forums is either turn off Google Chrome's "protection" or enter the forums via Internet Explorer, which does not give the warning or block the site.
    Yeh, it started for me yesterday about 10AM (GMT). And for you?

Anyway, Andy's kicked the forum a bit and fingers cross once Google have retested the site it'll be sorted...
    -Carl Sagan

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Yeh, it started for me yesterday about 10AM (GMT). And for you?

Anyway, Andy's kicked the forum a bit and fingers cross once Google have retested the site it'll be sorted...
    Two days ago was the first time that Google Chrome started to block access to the forums for me.

Administrator

England
    Well hopefully good news... I can see in googles information a message about the forum:-

Google has received and processed your security review request. Google systems indicate that http://forum.homepageofthedead[.]com/ no longer contains links to harmful sites or downloads. The warnings visible to users are being removed from your site. This may take a few hours.
    Fingers crossed that's it!
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Haven't gotten a warning today. So it all seems good.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Rising

United States
    Same here. The problem with Google Chrome seems to be gone.

Administrator

England
    I'm not 100% sure this has been totally solved.

If anyone gets any odd redirects or anything strange displayed while in the forum can you please let us know please.

If there is indeed still a problem, it could be something quite subtle like the first time in from an external link it does it for the user, and then not again. And/or not more than once a a day for a user etc. This sort of behaviour has been reported by other VBulletin boards suffering from the same sort of issue.
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Clean as a whistle for me the past few days.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Rising

United States
    Problem hasn't come back for me either. All fine.

Administrator

England
    Good to hear... See anything odd or a redirect when first coming in... Let me know please...
    -Carl Sagan