Thread: Google Stadia (console)

Administrator

England

Google Stadia (console)

So this is Google offering gaming completely via the cloud. All you have is a controller in effect.

If they can nail the lag and produce a good/smooth screen update, it could be very very interesting!

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...tream-gdc-2019
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    A bit soon for this sorta thing, isn't it? The infrastructure just isn't there, and even in areas where you can get superfast (it took years for it to arrive where I am) surely streaming that amount of data will start clogging up your internet, what with surfing and Netflix and such?

There's so many areas of the country (and world) where you just can't fast enough Internet, so I wouldn't be surprised if this turns into some sort of noble failure. It might work for somewhere like South Korea, but you have to wonder about how on earth this would ever truly work on a global scale? The amount of servers you'd need would, surely, be absolutely massive? Just look at how often games companies screw up their online launches by not having enough servers to cope with demand. And with that you can kiss goodbye to the trade-in market, although the games companies will be thrilled with that notion.

Call me a sceptic, I guess.

I do like having my own console and inserting an actual physical disc.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 20-Mar-2019 at 05:14 PM.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Interesting... I can't speak for much else, but I like the design of the controller. I wonder how this will pan out over time.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    A bit soon for this sorta thing, isn't it? The infrastructure just isn't there, and even in areas where you can get superfast (it took years for it to arrive where I am) surely streaming that amount of data will start clogging up your internet, what with surfing and Netflix and such?

There's so many areas of the country (and world) where you just can't fast enough Internet, so I wouldn't be surprised if this turns into some sort of noble failure. It might work for somewhere like South Korea, but you have to wonder about how on earth this would ever truly work on a global scale? The amount of servers you'd need would, surely, be absolutely massive? Just look at how often games companies screw up their online launches by not having enough servers to cope with demand. And with that you can kiss goodbye to the trade-in market, although the games companies will be thrilled with that notion.

Call me a sceptic, I guess.

I do like having my own console and inserting an actual physical disc.
    Oh, it very much requires a good connection. And while many folks in the UK suffer with lower connections speeds, don't forget in many European countries 1000MB isn't unusual
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan