Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Friday the 13th: The Game... (video game)

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by LivingDeadGuy View Post
    ... it's all about quantity over quality.
    LOL! And somehow, even though the girl has run in random direction for 5 minutes, somehow being just around the next corner, even though you just walk...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    LOL! And somehow, even though the girl has run in random direction for 5 minutes, somehow being just around the next corner, even though you just walk...
    Well, that was always part of Jason, and many killers in slasher movies - the ability to always catch you somehow. In that trailer you can see the game mechanic at work - kind of a teleport type of thing. Staying true to how the movies would often play out, weird as it can be sometimes. Jason never ran, so ... come to think of it, he did run in the remake, and he also had a series of tunnels beneath Camp Crystal Lake in that movie, too. So he was able to appear by surprise.

United States
    The thing that always annoyed me with slasher movies was how easy it is to predict which characters are going to get slaughtered and which one will survive. "Is that a girl taking her top off? She's doomed!", "Is that a couple smoking weed and drinking beer? Off with their heads!", "Is that a black dude? Dead! Dead! Dead!" and of course the survivor is usually some nerdy virgin girl who eventually gets killed in a sequel like Alice in Friday the 13th, Nancy in A Nightmare on Elm Street, and Lauren in Halloween (who died TWICE actually).
    Last edited by LivingDeadGuy; 24-Apr-2017 at 03:01 PM. Reason: typo
    Just a zombie girl on a Saturday night. <3

Super Moderator

UK
    Slasher flicks were never known for their intricate mysteries. Ironic, really, considering the slasher movie was birthed from the hyper violent and hyper sexual giallo movement in Italy, the heyday of which was the 1970s (started in the 60s, petered out during the 80s, has had a resurgence as 'neo-giallo' post-2000). Indeed, Friday the 13th Part 2 rips off a couple of murders from Mario Bava's "A Bay of Blood", which came out 10 years prior, and the giallo genre itself was birthed from murder mystery novels (e.g. Agatha Christie and the like).

Anyway, rambling cinema history lecture aside, slashers were all about the vices - sex, drugs, and violence - and had a clear formula. There were some pretty risible examples, but plenty of examples that are milestones in the horror genre, and many that did something different or had a profound influence on horror in general.

Not to everyone's tastes, though, which is fair enough. It's not a sub-genre that has seen too much ingenuity or originality, but I dig it regardless.

United States
    The thing that always annoyed me with slasher movies was how easy it is to predict which characters are going to get slaughtered and which one will survive. "Is that a girl taking her top off? She's doomed!", "Is that a couple smoking weed and drinking beer? Off with their heads!", "Is that a black dude? Dead! Dead! Dead!" and of course the survivor is usually some nerdy virgin girl who eventually gets killed in a sequel like Alice in Friday the 13th, Nancy in A Nightmare on Elm Street, and Lauren in Halloween (who died TWICE actually).
    Well I have to admit I like watching it parodied in "Scary Movie" by The Wayans Brothers. They made fun of everything I hate about the genre.
    Just a zombie girl on a Saturday night. <3

United States
    i saw that the psn was having a flash sale this weekend and was so ready to pull the trigger on this...but alas, they had nearly every scary game other than friday the 13th on sale. wtf.

so we watched the original instead, and i decided to pick up the blu ray set of the first 8 films from amazon for like 26 bucks (hell of a deal).

i then got online and did some browsing on reddit, seems this game hasn't had any updates for a while and some players were saying they don't even recommend purchasing it atm given how few people are still playing it and how little support it's received from its developers lately.

anyone on here still play this? did they every come up with any viable single player mode?

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    did they every come up with any viable single player mode?
    Aye, I wanna know this too - I remember hearing about plans for a SP mode, but I figure nothing has happened.

The irony is that the developers not bothering to improve the game makes people turn away from it, and in true Catch 22 form less players makes the devs not want to bother updating it.

Such a waste.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    That’s what made Scream so great when it was released. It was the first movie to directly point these things out. Heck, there was a character who’s sole purpose was to spit dialogue almost verbatim to your post. Jamie-something was the actor, but it’s been so long I’ve forgotten.

It’s only in recent years that I’ve come around to being able to enjoy the Friday series for what it is but I really only give them a spin in the Halloween season. Can’t say this game necessarily gets me excited, but with good reviews and a decent price I’d be open to it.

Undisclosed
    I still play it, but no further updates, yet. But one is coming soon, apparently.

Super Moderator

UK
    I love the idea of choosing the settings and which version of Jason you wanna be, the Manfredini music coming in, the kills (devised by Hodder and Savini) and all that ... so it's a damn shame it seems to have been lumbered with a buggy-as-fudge game with janky (and seemingly quite repetitive) mechanics (i.e. searching every damn drawer and cupboard in every damn cabin for the things you need to escape).

You know what would have been cool? A single player game with an open world element - so you could almost 'play a movie' and have things to do along the way in the daytime and early evening depending on who you are (e.g. try to get laid, pull off a prank, etc) ... and then the night falls and the killing starts.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 03-May-2018 at 09:52 AM.

Undisclosed
    They are going to add another single player mode to allows us to play as the councilors. The A.I. will be improved, too.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    They are going to add another single player mode to allows us to play as the councilors. The A.I. will be improved, too.
    So there already is single player in the game? I thought that hadn't been added yet?

Undisclosed
    You play as Jason only in single player. Which is great for practice, but the A.I. is dumb. I currently have the game on Xbox1.

Undisclosed

Undisclosed