Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 48

Thread: Favorite Zombie Occupations?

  1. #16
    crackin' eggs of wisdom bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    14,171
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LivingDeadGuy View Post
    Well I think some people like the occassional zombie that stands out in a crowd over the ones that all dress the same.
    Of course, it's all opinion. I was only stating which I prefer, as asked at the start of the thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    The character zombie works great for Dawn. I've always viewed that film as a comic book come to life.

    IIRC Day's zombies consisted more of soldiers and muted colored civilians. However, they did sneak in the occasional character zed for shits and giggles. Like, why would there be a clown zombie amongst the dead at that point haha.
    And marching band members. Did the world really fall apart so fast that they couldn't at least take off their marching hats and jackets??

  2. #17
    Just been bitten LivingDeadGuy's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Cemetery
    Posts
    139
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Of course, it's all opinion. I was only stating which I prefer, as asked at the start of the thread.
    Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one and they all stink.

  3. #18
    Dying
    Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    421
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    The character zombie works great for Dawn. I've always viewed that film as a comic book come to life.

    IIRC Day's zombies consisted more of soldiers and muted colored civilians. However, they did sneak in the occasional character zed for shits and giggles. Like, why would there be a clown zombie amongst the dead at that point haha.
    It was more than occasional. Day has a lot more zombies that are easily identifiable as "this or that before they died" than either Night or even Dawn. Most of the zombies in the two first films were truly "anonymous" zombies, not easy to guess what they did before they became zombies. Exceptions are the mall guard zombie, the janitor zombie, the nurse zombie, the nun zombie, the Hare Krishna zombie, and the baseball player zombie. In Day we can see: soldier zombies, security guard zombies, stereotypical Florida tourist zombies, football player zombies (there's actually two of them), parade zombie, stereotypical housewife zombie (she's even got the "rollers" on her head), clown zombie, bride zombie, biker zombie, miner zombie, utility company employee zombie, college graduate zombie, injured dude zombie, ballerina zombie, fisherman zombie (it looks like he's got a fishing rod in his hand.)
    Last edited by JDP; 09-Apr-2017 at 08:07 PM. Reason: ;

  4. #19
    Just been bitten LivingDeadGuy's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Cemetery
    Posts
    139
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    It was more than occasional. Day has a lot more zombies that are easily identifiable as "this or that before they died" than either Night or even Dawn. Most of the zombies in the two first films were truly "anonymous" zombies, not easy to guess what they did before they became zombies. Exceptions are the mall guard zombie, the janitor zombie, the nurse zombie, the nun zombie, the Hare Krishna zombie, and the baseball player zombie. In Day we can see: soldier zombies, security guard zombies, stereotypical Florida tourist zombies, football player zombies (there's actually two of them), parade zombie, stereotypical housewife zombie (she's even got the "rollers" on her head), clown zombie, bride zombie, biker zombie, miner zombie, utility company employee zombie, college graduate zombie, injured dude zombie, ballerina zombie, fisherman zombie (it looks like he's got a fishing rod in his hand.)
    Yep and there was also a fat cook zombie, a surgeon zombie, two prisoner zombies in shackles, a girl zombie wearing a private school uniform, a janitor zombie, and two or three zombies in black tuxedos (possibly guests at the bride zombie's wedding). Day of the Dead probably had more zombies that stood out than any other zombie movie lol.

  5. #20
    Dying
    Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    421
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LivingDeadGuy View Post
    Yep and there was also a fat cook zombie, a surgeon zombie, two prisoner zombies in shackles, a girl zombie wearing a private school uniform, a janitor zombie, and two or three zombies in black tuxedos (possibly guests at the bride zombie's wedding). Day of the Dead probably had more zombies that stood out than any other zombie movie lol.
    The "fat cook zombie" I assume is the chubby woman who is among the zombies that attack Steel.

    I think I missed the following: two prisoner zombies in shackles, girl in private school uniform zombie, janitor zombie. Let me know in what parts of the movie can we spot them.

  6. #21
    Just been bitten LivingDeadGuy's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Cemetery
    Posts
    139
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    The "fat cook zombie" I assume is the chubby woman who is among the zombies that attack Steel.

    I think I missed the following: two prisoner zombies in shackles, girl in private school uniform zombie, janitor zombie. Let me know in what parts of the movie can we spot them.
    Certainly.

    The two prisoner zombies appear in the doors of the bank next to the alligator (i think those are the ones you thought were security guards but if you look closely they have shackles on their legs and are wearing blue prison jumpsuits). The girl in the school uniform appears with the zombies who burst through the gates after Miguel opens the lock and later she is seen eating Fisher's remains (she wears a dark blue and red uniform with a white tie and some kind of hat) and the janitor zombie appears with the crowd of zombies after they get into the silo he is wearing yellow latex gloves and a dirty apron over a greenish jumpsuit.
    Last edited by LivingDeadGuy; 10-Apr-2017 at 02:19 AM. Reason: typo

  7. #22
    Dying
    Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    421
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LivingDeadGuy View Post
    Certainly.

    The two prisoner zombies appear in the doors of the bank next to the alligator (i think those are the ones you thought were security guards but if you look closely they have shackles on their legs and are wearing blue prison jumpsuits).
    Wow! I did not notice the shackles before, and I have seen this movie a load of times! I usually think of prisoners in orange uniforms, and security guards also wear blue shirts:





    That's what threw me off. But the shackles settle it: these are prisoners, not security guards. What were they doing at the bank, though? It doesn't seem like the most appropriate place to have kept two convicts!

    The girl in the school uniform appears with the zombies who burst through the gates after Miguel opens the lock and later she is seen eating Fisher's remains (she wears a dark blue and red uniform with a white tie and some kind of hat)
    I know who you mean now. I am not sure if it is a school uniform, though. Might be just a girl wearing some fashion of the time.

    and the janitor zombie appears with the crowd of zombies after they get into the silo he is wearing yellow latex gloves and a dirty apron over a greenish jumpsuit.
    I spotted him. Why is he wearing a pink apron???
    Attached Images

  8. #23
    Just been bitten LivingDeadGuy's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Cemetery
    Posts
    139
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Wow! I did not notice the shackles before, and I have seen this movie a load of times! I usually think of prisoners in orange uniforms, and security guards also wear blue shirts:





    That's what threw me off. But the shackles settle it: these are prisoners, not security guards. What were they doing at the bank, though? It doesn't seem like the most appropriate place to have kept two convicts!



    I know who you mean now. I am not sure if it is a school uniform, though. Might be just a girl wearing some fashion of the time.



    I spotted him. Why is he wearing a pink apron???
    Lol yeah different prisons make inmates wear different colored uniforms some are orange some are blue and some are white. I can see how they could be mistaken for security guards though but I noticed the shackles the first time I ever watched this movie. As for why they appeared in a bank... Maybe they both went to prison for robbing a bank?

    I guess the girl zombie could be wearing some kind of 80's fashion from when the movie was made I have seen some punk era clothing on girls that resembled school uniforms. But it also reminds me a lot of the catholic private school uniforms I saw when i was in New Orleans. I think Florida has a lot of catholic schools too which would make sense for her as a zombie if that was what Romero intended.

  9. #24
    Fresh Meat
    Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2
    United States
    I always found regular, run-of-the-mill people, to be the most interesting; as it gives a sense of realism to the fantasy and they're more relatable. I tend to sympathize more with a father-turned-zombie, than some biker-looking dead guy with a canon strapped to his bike.

  10. #25
    Twitching Moon Knight's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,043
    United States
    Damn, those were inmates? Really? My whole childhood was a lie.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

  11. #26
    Just been bitten LivingDeadGuy's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Cemetery
    Posts
    139
    United States
    Since we're discussing it I want to go ahead and add the zombies that i noticed standing out in the remake of Night of the Living Dead.

    Waitress Zombie (Ben shoots her before she attacks Barbara)
    Airplane Pilot Zombie (breaks through the front door with other zombies and is wearing a pilot's uniform)
    Mourge Zombie (naked bloody guy with bodytag on his hand and gets shot by Barbara)
    Naked Woman Zombie (recurring zombie from original movie possibly died while taking a bath)
    Gardener/Prisoner Zombie (zombie in dark grey baggy jumpsuit)
    Cop Zombie (Ben and Barbara kill him and steal his guns)
    Doll's Mom Zombie (Old Lady zombie carrying a baby doll for some reason)
    Funeral Zombie (the zombie in the graveyard with cuts in his suit)
    Druggie Zombie (guy with a heroine needle dangling from his arm)
    Anorexic Zombie (skinny shirtless zombie Barbara shoots in window)
    Housewife Zombie (wears a bathrobe and pink curlers in her hair and appears next to Uncle Reege's body)
    Knife Zombie (has a hunting knife stabbed in his stomach)

  12. #27
    Team Rick MinionZombie's Avatar
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Mandatorium
    Posts
    21,171
    UK
    Aye, 'occupation' zombies are a tricky thing depending on the tone of the movie. Something like "Zombieland", which was ruddy good fun, can handle something like that (e.g. the clown zombie), and we all grew up watching Dawn and Day with their respective 'occupation zombies' floating around (e.g. the football player in Day, the Nun in Dawn).

    Some make more sense than others (e.g. the Nun in Dawn, or any military/police/medical/fire fighter zombies as some would likely die on the job during the initial fall of civilisation - look at how the beginning of Dawn unfolds, for example).

    It can be fun and the right 'costume' can work well if you want to 'feature' some zombies on screen (e.g. in Land of the Dead with Big Daddy, Number 9, the butcher et al) where it gives the zombies some character - if 'zombie personality' is part of the film, as it so often is with GAR's flicks, then it works. Otherwise it's a risky proposition. It makes a lot of sense in TWD that they're generally just 'normal looking', or are only in specific gear that would make sense for the fall of civilisation (e.g. military walkers, medical walkers, cop walkers).

  13. #28
    Just been bitten LivingDeadGuy's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Cemetery
    Posts
    139
    United States
    I think they also work in zombie video games. For example in Resident Evil 2 and 3 you had a lot of cop zombies with civilian zombies in the police station but also scientist and nude test subject zombies in the Umbrella Laboratories. Also in Left 4 Dead the zonbies always made sense wherever they appeared like the doctor, nurse, and patient zombies in the hospital and the pilot zombies in the airport.

  14. #29
    Dying
    Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    421
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Aye, 'occupation' zombies are a tricky thing depending on the tone of the movie. Something like "Zombieland", which was ruddy good fun, can handle something like that (e.g. the clown zombie), and we all grew up watching Dawn and Day with their respective 'occupation zombies' floating around (e.g. the football player in Day, the Nun in Dawn).

    Some make more sense than others (e.g. the Nun in Dawn, or any military/police/medical/fire fighter zombies as some would likely die on the job during the initial fall of civilisation - look at how the beginning of Dawn unfolds, for example).

    It can be fun and the right 'costume' can work well if you want to 'feature' some zombies on screen (e.g. in Land of the Dead with Big Daddy, Number 9, the butcher et al) where it gives the zombies some character - if 'zombie personality' is part of the film, as it so often is with GAR's flicks, then it works. Otherwise it's a risky proposition. It makes a lot of sense in TWD that they're generally just 'normal looking', or are only in specific gear that would make sense for the fall of civilisation (e.g. military walkers, medical walkers, cop walkers).
    While most of these zombie characters still seen in their former occupation garbs are believable, as someone else pointed out earlier, some others must be for laughs. The clown zombie, for example. I mean, did this guy really not have the time to get out of his clown costume before he died??? One can easily understand soldier zombies, security guard zombies, cop zombies, prisoner zombies, firefighter zombies, nurse zombies, nun zombies, Hare Krishna zombies, etc. since these are people who could easily have been caught up in deadly situations still wearing their respective uniforms/garbs, which they would wear on a daily basis (prisoners and nuns, for example, in fact would wear nothing else but their uniforms all day long), but a friggin' CLOWN? Did he die of a pie-in-the-face overdose?? Seriously, how many people die with their clown suits still on??? I bet the number must be extremely small.

  15. #30
    Just been bitten LivingDeadGuy's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Cemetery
    Posts
    139
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    While most of these zombie characters still seen in their former occupation garbs are believable, as someone else pointed out earlier, some others must be for laughs. The clown zombie, for example. I mean, did this guy really not have the time to get out of his clown costume before he died??? One can easily understand soldier zombies, security guard zombies, cop zombies, prisoner zombies, firefighter zombies, nurse zombies, nun zombies, Hare Krishna zombies, etc. since these are people who could easily have been caught up in deadly situations still wearing their respective uniforms/garbs, which they would wear on a daily basis (prisoners and nuns, for example, in fact would wear nothing else but their uniforms all day long), but a friggin' CLOWN? Did he die of a pie-in-the-face overdose?? Seriously, how many people die with their clown suits still on??? I bet the number must be extremely small.
    I always figured he died in his costume while preforming. I mean the zombie outbreak in Romero's movies spread all around the world at once and I'm sure a lot of people were caught off guard by the zombies and were killed either by the zombies themselves or by the riots of people who were shooting and destroying things. When they came back as zombies they obviously wore whatever they had on at the time of their death.
    Last edited by LivingDeadGuy; 11-Apr-2017 at 10:28 PM. Reason: added more to my post

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •