Thread: World War Z 2 (film) - David Fincher to direct?

Administrator

England

World War Z 2 (film) - David Fincher to direct?

Talk of David Fincher involved? - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/75950

Variety has one of the damndest stories of the week so far. They say Brad Pitt is putting a whole lot of pressure on David Fincher to step in to direct World War Z 2. There's no way this thing is happening, right?

Variety thinks negotiations are active, but I'll be shocked if Fincher does this. Don't get me wrong, I'd shit a brick to see David Fincher make a zombie movie. I can't even imagine how great it'd look. That dude knows tone and would make something really skin-crawling, I have no doubt. But will he do a sequel to an okay zombie movie? Is that even possible for this guy to accept?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    haha, no way will that ever happen.

Fincher never does sequels (Alien 3 aside, but that was his feature film debut). Frankly, judging by the piss poor quality of the first movie, the script for the sequel wouldn't be anywhere near his standard.

I do agree, though, I'd love to see Fincher 'do a zombie movie' ... but I wonder whether he'd really be interested in doing that seeing as how crowded the genre is.

I'd really like to see Fincher tackle the other two (three, now, actually) Lisbeth Salander stories as I found his version of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo to be superb (I also thoroughly enjoyed the original Swedish movies). Or, considering Palahniuk has recently put out Fight Club 2 as a graphic novel, perhaps Fincher could go back to Tyler Durden & Co?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I'd really like to see Fincher tackle the other two (three, now, actually) Lisbeth Salander stories as I found his version of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo to be superb (I also thoroughly enjoyed the original Swedish movies).
    I worked on that.

Anyway, what a non-story this is. It's never gonna happen. Fincher can probably still pick and choose whatever projects he wants. Why make a stupid zombie film? I say stupid because the first one was stupid. The worst film to come out of 2013.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I worked on that.

Anyway, what a non-story this is. It's never gonna happen. Fincher can probably still pick and choose whatever projects he wants. Why make a stupid zombie film? I say stupid because the first one was stupid. The worst film to come out of 2013.
    The Fincher one, or the Swedish one, do you mean?

And yeah - WWZ was just awful. The scale of it was the only good thing about it - everything else, especially those 'ant hill mutants', was just a big F-U to the zombie genre and the source novel.

Ireland
    Given his disownership of 'Alien 3', which was a perfectly fine film, the idea that Fincher would direct a sequel to one of the most stupid films in a long time is remote to say the very least. The guy, largely, has his choices of which film to direct next, why would he deaden his career with something like that?

'WWZ' was wretched. I simply cannot see a director like Fincher, who has a list of carefully selected films under his belt, choosing to helm something so dodgy as a sequel to that rubbish.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    The Fincher one, or the Swedish one, do you mean?
    The Fincher one! Good fun. I've got some stories. Not all of them pretty. Very cold, as I'm sure you can imagine.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    The Fincher one! Good fun. I've got some stories. Not all of them pretty. Very cold, as I'm sure you can imagine.
    Ooh! Very cool! What job did you do? Able to share any of the stories?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    As mentioned, it's very unlikely, but the thought of Fincher on a "zombie" film is just too enticing to completely write off. Pitt and Fincher have made several films together and are clearly pals, so maybe Pitt can convince him? Fincher has can probably do anything he wants, perhaps he wants to do something a little more "nerdy" now? Fincher definitely knows his science fiction, so it could be something great...

After all, who would've thought Danny Boyle would make what is now considered a classic "zombie" movie?...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It's official, David Fincher is directing the sequel to WWZ.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/06...david-fincher/

Best news for the genre since Darabont was announced to be directing The Walking Dead.

Administrator

England
    Fingers crossed for a good script!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    This one is really surprising to me. WWZ blew goats. Seems so odd for Fincher to hop on board a sequel to something he didn't originate, as well as a sequel to something which was pretty darn lacklustre (box office aside). Yes, I know he did Alien 3, but that was his first movie and he's not done a sequel since.

It also seems strange because Fincher's productions are longer affairs. He doesn't crank films out at great speed (to the viewer's benefit) because of his style and approach, and WWZ feels like a great bit cheeseburger factory type of movie.

Kinda stunned by this, I gotta say.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It's definitely shocking, but I'm thinking that in order for him to sign on to officially direct, he had a huge list of demands and the biggest demand being complete creative control and final cut. I don't see him picking it up as what you'd normally consider as direct sequel. You can guarantee that it won't have a numerical title, it won't pick up directly from the events of the first film, and will actually be more of a stand alone film. There can be vague connections to the previous film for fans that want to see those connections, but at the end of the day I'd bet good money that this is essentially moving forward as a new original film. Maybe even more of a survival drama like the source material.

Super Moderator

UK
    In an ideal world they'd kick WWZ into the bin and start over entirely, focusing on the source material to bring some of those events to life inside a new narrative (e.g. remove the "interview" format and have Brad Pitt as a witness to a handful of events in the book as part of an overall journey) ... oh, and ditch those CGI 'ant mound' monstrosities from WWZ. They sucked big time.