Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33

Thread: Terminator 2 (film) - 3D

  1. #1
    Webmaster Neil's Avatar
    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    nr London
    Posts
    14,244
    England

    Terminator 2 (film) - 3D

    I might give this a go actually. It's a nigh on perfect scifi flick, and such a perfectly scripted sequel to the first!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhqCVjALwXc
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

  2. #2
    Dying
    Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    479
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I might give this a go actually. It's a nigh on perfect scifi flick, and such a perfectly scripted sequel to the first!
    The "mercury" android was too difficult to swallow. It looked more like something out of a fantasy movie rather than a sci-fi movie. The first movie was more "realistic", it remains the best in the franchise.

  3. #3
    Chasing Prey shootemindehead's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    3,130
    Ireland
    Agreed.

    I could never get with that liquid robot nonsense.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

  4. #4
    Webmaster Neil's Avatar
    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    nr London
    Posts
    14,244
    England
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    The "mercury" android was too difficult to swallow. It looked more like something out of a fantasy movie rather than a sci-fi movie. The first movie was more "realistic", it remains the best in the franchise.
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Agreed.

    I could never get with that liquid robot nonsense.
    Strange, I find it easier to believe micro/nano technology can create what appears to be liquid metal, than dead bodies rising up from the ground?

    ie: If I and to suggest one could happen...?

    And if that one request of some suspension of disbelief is all that is required to otherwise enjoy a bloody amazing solid sequel to the first? Too much to ask?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

  5. #5
    Zombie Flesh Eater EvilNed's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,434
    Undisclosed
    The liquid metal robot makes sense to me. It seems like the logical next step in technology.

    "I worked in a factory owned by Germans, at coal pits owned by Frenchmen, and at a chemical plant owned by Belgians. There I discovered something about capitalists. They are all alike, whatever the nationality. All they wanted from me was the most work for the least money that kept me alive. So I became a Communist." - Ники́та Серге́евич Хрущёв

    "Thanks for Playa Girón. Before the invasion, the revolution was weak. Now it's stronger than ever". - Che Guevara

  6. #6
    Dying
    Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    479
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Strange, I find it easier to believe micro/nano technology can create what appears to be liquid metal, than dead bodies rising up from the ground?

    ie: If I and to suggest one could happen...?

    And if that one request of some suspension of disbelief is all that is required to otherwise enjoy a bloody amazing solid sequel to the first? Too much to ask?
    Building a machine that does what was shown in that movie (viz: morphing into virtually any shape without losing its CPU, circuitry, data/memory-banks, etc.) would be practically impossible, at least certainly not possible at around the point in time that the first Terminator came from. The technology shown in the first movie is way more realistic and believable, it would not surprise me if mankind in fact one day manages to build androids similar to those of the first movie at some point in the future.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    The liquid metal robot makes sense to me. It seems like the logical next step in technology.
    The problem is that this was not "the logical next step in technology" but a humongous, gigantic leap in technology that it just is too difficult to believe. It does not look like anything we could actually build. We are talking about a technology that to us is totally alien, unlike the technology of the first Terminator, which is very easy and logical to see as the progression of our current robotics and computers. The machines took over and continued to develop OUR technology, not that of some alien civilization that no one had ever seen before.

  7. #7
    Chasing Prey shootemindehead's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    3,130
    Ireland
    Yeh, what he said /\

    The problem is the silly morphing into anything it wished. Nano tech is fine and all that, but there has to be a line drawn somewhere.

    The film just crosses into absurdity too often. It's also noisy, irritating and it makes me miss the gritty nature of the first one.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

  8. #8
    Team Rick MinionZombie's Avatar
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Mandatorium
    Posts
    21,339
    UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    The liquid metal robot makes sense to me. It seems like the logical next step in technology.
    Aye, I really don't see a problem with the T-1000 at all. As for morphing into other things - it just resembles other people and samples their voices (perhaps even has some kind of DNA reader capability when it kills someone). It's copying them and analysing their voice, that's it - but you can also see the limits of the technology (e.g. the dog name trick - "Wolfie" rather than "Max", the gun getting stuck in the bars, the freeze/melt climax causing serious damage and corrupting it). I can't understand how it's too 'out-there' (in a sci-fi movie, no less! ).

    I love T2. I don't find it noisy or anything, in fact I feel it's like a symphony of sorts. The editing - visual and aural - is so pin sharp that action scenes play out like a piece of music. The edits are precise and the sound effects are spot on to provide maximum impact and pace, and not once does it become an incomprehensible blur like all these Transformers-type movies we get these days.

    As for T2 in 3D ... come on JC, give it up, 3D's a gimmick. I know he does it best, but it's still a gimmick as a piece of technology. He did it well with Avatar (which benefitted from the novelty factor, and it being most people's introduction to the technology), but it quickly became pointless or poorly executed afterwards. The only film that used it well was Jackass 3D.

  9. #9
    Zombie Flesh Eater EvilNed's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,434
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    The problem is that this was not "the logical next step in technology" but a humongous, gigantic leap in technology that it just is too difficult to believe. It does not look like anything we could actually build. We are talking about a technology that to us is totally alien, unlike the technology of the first Terminator, which is very easy and logical to see as the progression of our current robotics and computers. The machines took over and continued to develop OUR technology, not that of some alien civilization that no one had ever seen before.
    I don't see this as ridiculous at all. In fact, as I said, seems like the logical next step. It's not at all a gigantic leap - especially not for an AI which could calculate and develop ideas much MUCH faster than we could.

    "I worked in a factory owned by Germans, at coal pits owned by Frenchmen, and at a chemical plant owned by Belgians. There I discovered something about capitalists. They are all alike, whatever the nationality. All they wanted from me was the most work for the least money that kept me alive. So I became a Communist." - Ники́та Серге́евич Хрущёв

    "Thanks for Playa Girón. Before the invasion, the revolution was weak. Now it's stronger than ever". - Che Guevara

  10. #10
    Dying
    Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    479
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Aye, I really don't see a problem with the T-1000 at all. As for morphing into other things - it just resembles other people and samples their voices (perhaps even has some kind of DNA reader capability when it kills someone). It's copying them and analysing their voice, that's it - but you can also see the limits of the technology (e.g. the dog name trick - "Wolfie" rather than "Max", the gun getting stuck in the bars, the freeze/melt climax causing serious damage and corrupting it). I can't understand how it's too 'out-there' (in a sci-fi movie, no less! )
    You just mentioned many of the things that are wrong with it yourself. Building a machine that can do such things, specially at the time period involved, it's just too implausible to be believable. And it is not just humans this thing can morph into and perfectly mimic. The thing can even spread out its mass so thinly across a surface that it can imitate the very floor you walk on and you don't notice a thing! Nanotechnology or not, the things we saw that android do just went overboard. It's things that would be more at home in a fantasy movie (where "magical" elements are allowed and you can more easily accept such "weird" things since no explanations of any kind are required as to how the seemingly "impossible" can work) than a sci-fi movie.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I don't see this as ridiculous at all. In fact, as I said, seems like the logical next step. It's not at all a gigantic leap - especially not for an AI which could calculate and develop ideas much MUCH faster than we could.
    But it hardly is "the logical next step". If it was, our own computer and robotics engineers would already be contemplating the possibility of building such a far-fetched thing. They are not. However, the possibility of building robots/androids very similar to the ones in the first Terminator is quite likely to happen. I don't think any computer/robotics engineer would question it.

  11. #11
    Zombie Flesh Eater EvilNed's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,434
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    But it hardly is "the logical next step". If it was, our own computer and robotics engineers would already be contemplating the possibility of building such a far-fetched thing. They are not. However, the possibility of building robots/androids very similar to the ones in the first Terminator is quite likely to happen. I don't think any computer/robotics engineer would question it.
    This is simply not true. Nanotechnology is widely discussed and researched today.

    "I worked in a factory owned by Germans, at coal pits owned by Frenchmen, and at a chemical plant owned by Belgians. There I discovered something about capitalists. They are all alike, whatever the nationality. All they wanted from me was the most work for the least money that kept me alive. So I became a Communist." - Ники́та Серге́евич Хрущёв

    "Thanks for Playa Girón. Before the invasion, the revolution was weak. Now it's stronger than ever". - Che Guevara

  12. #12
    Dying
    Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    479
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    This is simply not true. Nanotechnology is widely discussed and researched today.
    Nanotechnology can't do what the liquid android in the second movie did. But robotics and computers as we know them today are heading to similar levels as the machines we saw in the first movie.

  13. #13
    Team Rick MinionZombie's Avatar
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Mandatorium
    Posts
    21,339
    UK
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Nanotechnology can't do what the liquid android in the second movie did. But robotics and computers as we know them today are heading to similar levels as the machines we saw in the first movie.
    Films with fictional narratives can proffer a world that is different to our own in numerous ways - technological advancements included.

  14. #14
    Chasing Prey shootemindehead's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    3,130
    Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Films with fictional narratives can proffer a world that is different to our own in numerous ways - technological advancements included.
    True. But sometimes they cross a line and destroy their own world.

    While 'Terminator 2' is an ok, knockabout sequel to 'The Terminator' and both films are pure fantasy, T2's antagonist performs feats that are just plain silly and do a lot to draw the viewer out of the experience. Too often, it was simply a case of having a fancy graphic morph into something on the screen.

    I can believe in the T-800. The T-1000 is ridiculous.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

  15. #15
    Zombie Flesh Eater EvilNed's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,434
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Nanotechnology can't do what the liquid android in the second movie did. But robotics and computers as we know them today are heading to similar levels as the machines we saw in the first movie.
    Nanotechnology works on the atomic or subatomic level. It absolutely can do what the android in the second movie does!

    It's a sci-fi film about a self-aware AI that can calculate things at an unprecedented speed at which we can only imagine and speculate. There's no way you can say "this is unrealistic within this timeframe" because an AI could develop ideas at a speed much faster than ours. Much, much faster.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 05-Jul-2017 at 04:39 PM. Reason: fsdfs

    "I worked in a factory owned by Germans, at coal pits owned by Frenchmen, and at a chemical plant owned by Belgians. There I discovered something about capitalists. They are all alike, whatever the nationality. All they wanted from me was the most work for the least money that kept me alive. So I became a Communist." - Ники́та Серге́евич Хрущёв

    "Thanks for Playa Girón. Before the invasion, the revolution was weak. Now it's stronger than ever". - Che Guevara

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •