Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What became of Dead Reckoning?

United States

What became of Dead Reckoning?

I recently took a trip to the west coast for the first time and stopped at the universal studios theme park. As those of you have been know, during the tram tour there is a part where you see different vehicles used in different movies ( Time machine delorean, lost world RV, Fast and furious cars ect..). I had almost forgotten that land was made by Universal and was waiting to see Kaufman's truck sitting next to Doc Browns car. Sadly it was absent. I was just wondering what ever became of the truck? Was it just disassembled? Or is it sitting in GAR garage and only driven on the weekends?
    "Are you asking me if I think you're pretty or if I'll f*** you? Cause you don't have to be pretty for me to f*** you"

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartma7546 View Post
    I recently took a trip to the west coast for the first time and stopped at the universal studios theme park. As those of you have been know, during the tram tour there is a part where you see different vehicles used in different movies ( Time machine delorean, lost world RV, Fast and furious cars ect..). I had almost forgotten that land was made by Universal and was waiting to see Kaufman's truck sitting next to Doc Browns car. Sadly it was absent. I was just wondering what ever became of the truck? Was it just disassembled? Or is it sitting in GAR garage and only driven on the weekends?
    It's getting overhauled for the sequel to 'Land of the Dead'.

There....you heard it here first!
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Actually Land was only distributed by Universal. The majority of the money was from private investors/other production companies. hence why there are so many names listed in the opening credits

Atmosphere Pictures MM
    Ranger Kim
    Romero-Grunwald
    Wild Bunch
    Exception

Universal put up the last $3,000,000 for the march and april 05 re-shoots when they needed to keep shooting because of running out of money back in 2004.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

UK
    "let your children experience the magic of ET, the thrills of Back to the Future and the absolute terror of a world overrun by flesh eating zombies..."

This just a wild stab in the dark, but I'm guessing Universal don't see the zombie apocalypse as a family-friendly theme park entertainment experience!

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Carcass View Post
    "let your children experience the magic of ET, the thrills of Back to the Future and the absolute terror of a world overrun by flesh eating zombies..."

This just a wild stab in the dark, but I'm guessing Universal don't see the zombie apocalypse as a family-friendly theme park entertainment experience!
    Actually not true. in 2004 during the weekend of Horrors the built a DAWN 2004 set in Fla and LA parks
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    In the final scene we see DR driving away toward Canada. It ran out of gas about a half mile up the road and is still sitting there. The entire production crew was too cheap to spring for the gas.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    They may find the zombies to be a bit much for a family park, but when I was a kid the King Kong, Jaws, and even the Ghostbusters show scared me...

As for Dead Reckoning....I'm guessing it probably doesn't exist any more. Something that big that didn't travel very well would've been a pain in the ass to hang on to. It's probably in thousands of pieces.

United States
    I wouldn't be so sure there, Bass.

They've been using and reusing the Landmasters (from that 70's version of Damnation Alley) for years.

The Dead Reckoning is probably in an auto museum or private collection. That would be my bet, anyhow.

http://www.snowcrest.net/fox/landmaster/
    Last edited by BillyRay; 04-Jun-2010 at 03:15 PM.
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah...it's possible that someone out there has it, but I think it's most likely gone. Romero mentions in the commentary that they had trouble keeping it running and it was a pain to move around. And I could be wrong, but I believe there's some mention of "where is it now?" and they say it's probably destroyed...

On a semi-related subject....I was reading this morning that the three sharks used in Jaws were thrown onto the Universal backlot after filming and left to rot. But then someone supposedly found one in a car junk yard in the middle of the country. They took the creator of the original sharks to investigate and he confirmed it. Somehow an unused 4th shark was found in a junk yard...far away from any studios or where they filmed.
    Last edited by bassman; 04-Jun-2010 at 03:11 PM.

United States
    Honestly, it really bugs me that the final disposition of DR is not something GAR knows immediately. I mean, the first 3 films are horror film cult legend. How could anyone not realize the value in preserving DR? Or the potential value as a collector's item. It's probably destroyed? Wow. That's just wrong.

If I made Land I'd do my best to get out of it with as much of the set stuff as possible. Heck, I'd have DR in my garage and take it out on the weekends to drive around my neighborhood.

Or keep it handy for when the real zombies come.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

United States
    Some good pics over at the Internet Movie Car Data Base
    http://imcdb.org/vehicle_28736-Made-...Reckoning.html

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Looks like those pictures were taken in front of Big Daddy's shop...

Administrator

England
    This is land your talking about... Dead reckoning along with every other setpeice, prop and actor should be crushed, burnt, destroyed then buried and never spoke of again.

I'm actually gobsmacked you were expecting to see dead reckoning on show next to doc browns delorean.. Seriously I slapped my forehead, that's like asking why you can't see puke stained worm infested turds on show next to a rare giant diamond.

Ireland

They had a man eating shark for years.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States

I'm not talking about a "make your own entrails" booth . But I just figured that maybe it would be sitting in the back lot.
    "Are you asking me if I think you're pretty or if I'll f*** you? Cause you don't have to be pretty for me to f*** you"