Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: RIP, George Romero. :(

Super Moderator

UK
    Aye, it's sad ... a world without Romero is a curious thing, having grown up watching and admiring his films. However, at least we've still got his work and numerous appearances on-camera by the man to keep him alive so-to-speak.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Indeed, it doesn’t seem like it’s been a year already....

It’s weird how someone you never met could have an impact on your life. I know many of us here had met Romero, but unfortunately I never had that chance. I wish I had because that’s always the one thing I want to get across while meeting someone that’s made an impact on me. No geeking out and stuff, but just an honest hand shake and let them know that in a some small way, their efforts had positive effects on my life and the direction it’s gone.

Basically a heartfelt “thank you”. That’s always been my go-to for the highly respected artists on my list, and I really wish I’d had the chance to say it to Romero, as he’s definitely at the tip top of my influential, life-changer artists list.

Ireland
    christ, that year went fast.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    christ, that year went fast.

Indeed.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I thought there would be a greater demand, or at least willing, to release some of his lesser known films on Bluray or dvd. We had the Arrow box set, but that was announced before his passing away. But I'm specifically thinking of Martin - a film I haven't seen. I hear great things about it and would like to get my hands on a restored copy.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I thought there would be a greater demand, or at least willing, to release some of his lesser known films on Bluray or dvd. We had the Arrow box set, but that was announced before his passing away. But I'm specifically thinking of Martin - a film I haven't seen. I hear great things about it and would like to get my hands on a restored copy.
    Yeah, Martin's a great film, but I think it's down to who holds the rights to it wanting too much money - so a restoration is a dream at this point. Arrow had previously released it on DVD way back when (2004, I think), which is the copy I've got. It's a very modern vampire movie in many ways, and still shines today. It's rough around the edges, being a low budget indie, but that core Romero family era in his career is all present and correct, as is Romero's wonderful editing and coverage style. It's one of my favourite Romero movies.

Ireland
    'Martin' is one of those late night films you might have caught channel surfing on tele when you were younger. Not altogether successful and definitely overrated by some. But it's weird, fascinating and you'll watch til the end. Outside of Romero's dead films, it's his best offering.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    I have Martin on DVD, but it was never really one of my favorite movies. I like The Crazies better, even though it is pretty rough around the edges too.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by beat_truck View Post
    I have Martin on DVD, but it was never really one of my favorite movies. I like The Crazies better, even though it is pretty rough around the edges too.
    The Crazies is cool, but I was a bit disappointed that Richard France didn't say "DUMMIES! DUMMIES! DUMMIES!" on this one

United States
    Knightriders is my favorite non zombie GAR flick. So underrated. There isn’t anything like it. Really shows how far ahead George was in his mindset about the underbelly of Hollywood and why George never wanted any part of it. Timeless.

Martin is very fascinating as well. Watch it with the commentary too.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 15-Aug-2018 at 09:29 PM. Reason: The King!
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."