Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RIP, George Romero. :(

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    Been a long time since I was here but wanted to say a few words about the great man. I recall we were gearing up for the Letchworth Broadway Cinema premiere of Zombie Diaries in 2006 and heard that Diary of the Dead was shortly going into production. The exact same premise as our movie! I remember during production in 2005 thinking it was only a matter of time before someone else also came up with the idea of mixing zombies and Blair Witch in a feature film, but it was the Godfather of the zombie film who did!

Not only did George inspire us to make the film in the first place with Night of the Living Dead, but the stars were somehow aligned that we were able to secure a big release in the US when Dimension Films bought the rights to both Diary of the Dead and Zombie Diaries. For all those things, we owe George a lot!

Thankfully the reviews for the most part were kind to our film and it was able to stand on its own two feet. It was great to be at the Sitges Film Festival in 2007 when both our films played. George had read about our film and I remember just being stoked that he knew we existed! Watched Martin again yesterday with the commentary track on. Felt like listening to an old friend, such was his down to earth and laid back personality.

RIP George A. Romero. You have one hell of a legacy.

-KG
    Kevin Gates: Writer & Director - The Zombie Diaries

Canada
    A public memorial for George will be held on Monday in Toronto.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment...onto-1.4211916

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwarrior View Post
    A public memorial for George will be held on Monday in Toronto.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment...onto-1.4211916
    Thank You.

United States
    Still reeling (plus now Chester Bennington).....been a rough week. I will be watching Night in memorium this weekend. A theater about 1.5 hours away is doing a Night showing next Thursday I'm hoping to make it to.

Undisclosed
    Well, ugh.

i haven't posted here in quite a few years, but this was (is!) my place to get GAR news.

Remember when Land of the Dead was coming out!?! Holy shit that was unbelievable! We never thought he'd come back!

Just watched Martin, in some way as a supposed tribute to this genius. The shots, the framing, the dialogue, and the fact that it was all made on his dime in PIT.

GAR shaped my life. Treat everyone with respect and courtesy. We can only lose if we fight each other. i can't count how many times i have used his allegory's (sp?) in meetings.

And i will continue to do so.

RIP GAR. :/

United States
    So sad. I remember being a kid being obsessed with zombies and looking up everything I could on them online. I eventually stumbled upon an article mentioning Night of the Living Dead which prompted me to look it and up watch it.

I'm glad, I did! I'm not as a big as a Dead Series fan as I was years ago, but I won't ever forget how at how wowed I was watching the original trilogy. I don't think, I've even seen any zombie films back then or today that come close to them....not even close.

May George have eternal rest!

Administrator

England
    Romero (briefly) covered on the Walking Dead panel at ComicCon...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WwXf8HePRE&t=13m35s

- - - Updated - - -

A track dedicated to George...

https://fmriz.bandcamp.com/album/romero

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Lee Karr comments on Romero's passing - http://www.homepageofthedead.com/baps/romero.html
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Lee Karr comments on Romero's passing - http://www.homepageofthedead.com/baps/romero.html
    Thank you again, Neil.

Undisclosed
    I never got to meet the man, wait in line for an autograph, interview him or build a website dedicated to him.

There are many many great movies, award winning movies.

From me, George's flicks beat them all.

What a cool dude.

Hey George, WE GET IT MAN!

R.I.P
    Last edited by twistbud; 06-Aug-2017 at 01:39 AM. Reason: miss spell

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Very bummed we didn't get to see many of the projects he had hopes for that never came to fruition. He will be greatly missed, but live on as a legend.

Glad I got to meet the man and talk to him a few times - especially happy I got to tell him that he changed my life in such a positive way, that now I'm doing what I only dreamed of when I was younger - hell, even when I first started posting on these boards. He changed many of our lives.

RIP George.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    sad news doesn't begin to cover it. His worked entertained us for decades. Not much more to say really. Mike70, signing off for the last time.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    sad news doesn't begin to cover it. His worked entertained us for decades. Not much more to say really. Mike70, signing off for the last time.
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    On another site - nothing to do with Romero - I stumbled across another Romero fan. They did a little youtube tribute...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNcocaWQeUs
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Hard to think it's over a year ago now
    -Carl Sagan