Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RIP, George Romero. :(

Rising

United States
    The man who reinvented the zombie genre and forever changed it. Zombie movies are divided into "BR" (Before Romero) and "AR" (After Romero). His more recent efforts in the genre left a lot to be desired, though. Unfortunately, he won't have a chance to try to make one last great film on the subject. But even if he had only made Night of the Living Dead, the most important zombie flick ever made (it totally changed the genre), that would be enough to cement his place in horror movie history.

United States
    Dawn of the Dead will always be my favorite, but I will also always cherish gems like Martin, Knightriders, and Creepshow. I even have love for The Crazies and all it's cheesy antics. Grateful for all he gave us.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Hi guys, it's been a long time since i wrote something here. i spend so much hours ten years ago in here . Now i can't believe George is gone. a big piece of mi life and hear has gone forever. Rest in peace George, so long.

Super Moderator

UK
    I put a few more thoughts together on his passing and things I loved about the man and his work...

http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2017/...-in-peace.html

It's great to see so many warm tributes all over the web today, (and to see old faces return to the forum to pay respects to Romero), though, and the vocal recognition of how important he was to not only zombies but cinema, too.

Just been bitten

Scotland
    Simply gutted.
    Bye George.

United States
    His creation will always be a part of what defines me as a horror fan. Dating back to watching Dawn at a drive in and being absolutely terrified to get out of the car. To the existence of the epic The Walking Dead, born from George's vision. George Romero has made his mark and it's a mark that will echo through the ages.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Damn damn damn. This man was all of our favorite uncle basically. Had to come back here and commiserate with you guys. I share your sadness at this news
    Same here clang. Haven't been on these forums in a couple of years but I felt compelled to come back and say a goodbye to the man who made me fall in love with the genre. I do have some thoughts on some thoughts on his career but this is not the thread for that.

It's also good to see a few old heads up in here. Sup guys.

R.I.P. GAR- The godfather of the genre.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    George's newer films like Land of the Dead and Diary of the Dead may have left a lot to be desirbed but at least he will always be remembered for his classics like Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, and Day of the Dead. It's really a shame that Day of the Dead didn't get the praise it deserved when i5 first came out.

And honestly if it wasn't for him we wouldn't have had a lot of other great movies and games about zonbies like Lucio Fulci's Zombi or Resident Evil.
    Just a zombie girl on a Saturday night. <3

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    I haven't been here in a while, and it's really great to see all these faces I remember from days gone by. RIP, Mr. Romero. His work meant so much to me, and still does. I just tried watching Diary on DVD a few nights back, but it was scratched and wouldn't play the very last couple of scenes. Omen? Anyway, I hope we can all continue to appreciate the work he's had a hand in, and build on it in whatever way we can. It's what I think George would have wanted.

Undisclosed
    Just heard the news, so sad.

He was the godfather of the living dead, and his first three films will always remain timeless gems to me. I only wish I could have met the man one time in person to tell him what an inspiration his work has been for me.

I'm going to have to Bing watch his series in honor of his memory.

UK
    Like many others, it's been a while and I guess this was the only place to come and pay my respects.

We've lost many great talents over the last few years, but I think it's safe to say that this is the one that hurts the most. So thank you George for enriching our lives and soiling our trousers!

The dead walk no more, but your legacy walks forever...

Rest In Peace.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    My first introduction to Romero was when I was 15 and a friend invited me to watch Dawn of the Dead. We were kind of mallrats and the idea of a horror movie with people evading zombies by holding out in a mall was, at the time, the greatest thing I'd ever heard of. It was the most violent adult thing I had ever seen at that point. I have tried numerous times to explain to non-romero/non-horror fans what that moment meant to me but have usually failed miserably. I think that a lot of you will get what I mean when I say that I was traumatized in the very best possible way. I was obsessed. I sought out all of his dead films and watched them religiously. My parents would never have approved of movies like them so I would stay up late and watch them at 2 or 3 in the morning in the dark with headphones on (kind of a tough feat in the 90s). It felt like I was doing something terribly wrong by watching them and that couldn't have felt more right for the rebellious kid I was. I grew up with his movies and watched them countless times over the years. I've always found something new and interesting that I had never noticed before. I haven't enjoyed his newer films quite as much but as has been said before I do love that he always worked on his own terms. I knew George couldn't live forever. I knew this day would come and I knew I wouldn't be ready. So here you go again George, you've gone ahead and traumatized me again. Thanks for helping shape me into who I am today. I hope you're in a better place and I hope you know how much you meant to all of us.

Undisclosed
    Rest In Peace old friend.....

Ecuador
    Goodbye genius of darkness, I will see you in hell someday

Romero.jpg

Finland
    Have a great journey, old friend.
    I made a little poem for you.

https://mrsdallowayscoffeebreak.blog...33907159094052