Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Terminator 6 (film) - The coolest/best thing I've ever heard Schwarzenegger say

Administrator

England
    I'm hoping that just as Cameron has put ladies in strong meaningful eading roles in the past, he can equally put "older" ladies in strong meaningful leading roles too... It will be refreshing to see a 60+yr old lady in a positive action...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I'm hoping that just as Cameron has put ladies in strong meaningful eading roles in the past, he can equally put "older" ladies in strong meaningful leading roles too... It will be refreshing to see a 60+yr old lady in a positive action...
    What I liked most about the likes of Ripley in Aliens, and Sarah Connor in T1 and T2, was that they were human. They weren't cynical power fantasies, they weren't politically motivated, they weren't tokenism or anything like that. JC wrote to the character's journey as it would make sense to do. Ripley and Connor both have their struggles and have to earn their successes, things don't go their way automatically, they're not instantly brilliant at everything (e.g. Ripley leaps to drive the APC to rescue the Colonial Marines after Gorman's loss of leadership, but she's driving it for the first time - so she's banging into walls to begin with until she gets the jist of it - meanwhile Sarah Connor in T1 is very different to how she is in T2, but the intervening years of backstory has it make total sense as well as be earned).

You absolutely root for these characters for numerous reasons, right down to a core emotional level.

Too often "strong female character" gets interpreted very simply as: 'She kicks ass. The end.' Whereas, of course, "strong" really means "complex". Men and women both have their failings, their struggles, their successes etc, they both make mistakes and get in their own way, they both have their failings that they need to overcome through action - and making a female character complex and interesting, someone worth following and being emotionally invested in as they face challenges, challenge themselves, and learn from their losses and wins, that's the key and it's all you really need to do.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    You mean they are everything Rey in Star Wars isn't?

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    You mean they are everything Rey in Star Wars isn't?
    While Rey was too capable from the get-go in Ep7, she faced far more challenges and struggles and defeats in Ep8, which made her character far stronger and interesting, making me root for her more. I liked her in Ep7, but there wasn't much depth to her journey in terms of her learning - whereas in Ep8 she's literally training to become stronger at using and understanding the Force. She makes mistakes, learns from them, grows etc ... but there wasn't much of that in Ep7. I'm glad Rian Johnson sorted that out and gave Rey a much more satisfying arc in Ep8.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    While Rey was too capable from the get-go in Ep7, she faced far more challenges and struggles and defeats in Ep8, which made her character far stronger and interesting, making me root for her more. I liked her in Ep7, but there wasn't much depth to her journey in terms of her learning - whereas in Ep8 she's literally training to become stronger at using and understanding the Force. She makes mistakes, learns from them, grows etc ... but there wasn't much of that in Ep7. I'm glad Rian Johnson sorted that out and gave Rey a much more satisfying arc in Ep8.
    What challenges? What defeats?

She faces off against 6 of the Emperors guards about a week after the first time she picks up a lightsaber and defeats them all.

She lifts rocks off the ground as if she'd been trained in the force.

I can't think of a single setback she had that forced her to grow as a character.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 21-Jun-2018 at 08:23 PM. Reason: fdsfds

Super Moderator

UK
    She believes in the fairytale version of the Jedi, but is confronted by a harsh reality. She believes her parents were of some importance, but it's then revealed to her that they were nothing of the sort and sold her off for drinking money, she's not some God-in-waiting, she's just a pleb - but she has the power to make a change, she just has to wield it and shake off what she thought should be happening and recognise what is happening. Her dealings with Kylo aren't simple either - neither of them get what they want, they both want each other to join each other's side, but neither of them accept.

Various aspects like that. She faces far more in Ep8 than she does in Ep7.

But anyway, we've gone off topic ... back to Terminator "6".

Linda Hamilton looking ready.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 22-Jun-2018 at 10:09 AM.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    She believes in the fairytale version of the Jedi, but is confronted by a harsh reality.
    She thought Luke Skywalker and the Jedi were "a myth" a couple of days before the events in 'The Last Jedi'. She knew nothing about Jedi's, the Force or any of that nonsense. Yet, she's able to master everything in the blink of an eye. That's what makes her character so poor. She's a simplistc wishfulfilment. Able to anything that the script requires of her. She's a great pilot, a great engineer, a great swordsman, great Jedi, speaks droid, speaks wookee, etc, and all while being stuck on a backwater planet, labouring as a tinker.

Perhaps IX will offer some explanation as to just how she's able to do all of this at such a tender age and without any indication at earning such abilities.

But, with Jar Jar Abrams (one of the worst things to happen to cinema in 20 years) at the helm, I won't be holding my breath. More than likely we'll just get another "generic space action" picture and this sequel trilogy can be put to bed.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    But then so many folks in the SW universe can speak droid and wookie, so...

I do agree that she was too capable from the get-go, but I do feel her arc was better handled in Ep8 ... although the passage of time is a little unclear in the film, so it does seem as if Rey's time with Luke is short, which undermines her learning and being challenged.

Ireland
    But how would she? She lives in the arse of an AT AT and works as cheap labour for food by some fat git behind a grill...and apparently has done this since she was abandoned by her folks as a small kid.

Again, she has done nothing to actually earn her knowledge.

Now, if she'd been shown to have worked with droids, like Luke, or been knocking around the galaxy freighting crap from here to there with a wookiee, like Han Solo. Then her knowledge would make a bit of sense. But, none of that is shown or even indicated. She's just brilliant at everything, straight out of the box, without the history to be so or even the hint of a history.

I mean she, literally, does as Jedi mind trick out of nowhere. The fans know what that is, but she hasn't been shown to have a clue. In fact, she actually states it's all a "myth". Her character actually eliminates the possibility of such knowledge.

That's just awful writing.

As to her arc...think of it this way. Her's is a character that was found by happenstance by BB8. She leaves her home because the First Order come looking for the droid. She does Jedi minds tricks and sword fights like a pro, out of nowhere. She then goes to Leia and the restistance who, bizarrely, decide to send her (someone randomer they JUST met) to go find Luke. She farts about with Luke in Kerry for a bit and then she decides to go and save Kylo Ren (a guy SHE just met). She swordfights again like a pro, against highly skilled (supposedly) blokes, hand picked by Snoke (presumably). She then fies off again to save the resistance, by mind lifting some rocks.

All of that in the space of a few days, at best.

She may have been slightly better in 'The Last Jedi', but it's not by much and over all her character is terribly written and not just for a Star Wars film, but for any film. But, part of the reason she is so badly handle is that the other two members of the stooges, Finn and Poe take up too much screen time, that should have been devoted to her. JJ only wrote them into the script so it matched the star numbers of the original film. But they should have been even in the film at all. They're completely unneeded. 'The Force Awakens' should have focused on just Rey primarily. Poe should just have been killed after he released BB8 and Finn just shouldn't have been even written. When we first see Rey, she's pretty much the same, but we see that she's a sort of self taught Force layman, as it were, who has some skill. But, is frustrated at her lack of control and clearly needs training. Perhaps, she's come across some ancient Jedi texts somehow and has learned some stuff from those. But her knowledge is incomplete. She could be shown in her AT AT house trying to force stuff, but failing and getting pissed off. The film can pretty much play out as does. But, at least, the audience sees that she's already skilled in some way and when she succeeds at something Forcey, it isn't completely out of nowhere.

'The Last Jedi' should primarilly have focused on Rey and Luke on the island. With her being trained in a more fullfilling way. The resisitance and the First Order are still having a barney out in space, but there's no stupid muntiny subplot and no wasting time on Paddy Power planet. However, Luke should eventually agree to go back with her to help save his sister. The idea that Luke Skywalker won't budge from his hidey hole and go help Leia is one of the worst character assassinations in fiction I've ever seen. He can die on the salt planet saving her and what's left of the rersistance. Or better yet, remain alive and help build the resistance in IX, cos Carrie Fisher's dead.
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 23-Jun-2018 at 02:30 PM. Reason: .

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    They released this first official image and I’ve been seeing people all over the net flipping out about it saying that they’ve turned the “male action franchise” into females, SJW’s, etc. That makes no sense, the franchise has always been centered around a female! And now because they’ve released a picture of Sarah with two new female characters, that’s cause for concern?!? I fear for humanity...

United States
    Old man Conan can be great if done well. The original is such a classic.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    They released this first official image and I’ve been seeing people all over the net flipping out about it saying that they’ve turned the “male action franchise” into females, SJW’s, etc. That makes no sense, the franchise has always been centered around a female! And now because they’ve released a picture of Sarah with two new female characters, that’s cause for concern?!? I fear for humanity...
    I suppose it probably has something to do with 5ft nothing girls kicking the shit out of 6ft tall muscle bound blokes that get a lot of people's goats. In a way, I kind of agree. I'm sick of seeing that nonsense myself. A "strong female character" doesn't always have to mean a mere slip of a girl beating the crap out of someone who's obviously physically stronger. That's kind of intellectually insulting to everyone concerned.

In any case, there are more obvious problems with that image. Yer wan in the middle is probably a female Terminator, sent back (again), so the good guys can have a robot too.
    The girl on the left is probably Sarah's grandkid. Perhaps John is brown bread in this timeline.

It might have been nice JUST to have Sarah duking it out with another robot?

In any case, as I've said before numerous times on here, the Terminator franchise is as dead as Dillinger. But, this is rectconning the series and takes place after 'Terminator 2', therefore forgetting 3, 4 and 5. So maybe it might be worth checking out and hopefully Arnie is nowhere to be seen.

I won't get my hopes up though.
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 02-Aug-2018 at 03:36 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Isnt that a guy in the middle?

Anyway, I don't really care. Genisys promised to deliver something that delivered on the quality of T1 and T2 but it didn't.
    The franchise is by far more mediocre (or shit) than good at this point.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Isnt that a guy in the middle?
    That’s Mackenzie Davis from Halt and Catch Fire, Blade Runner 2049, and Black Mirror-San Junipiero. That might not be the most flattering picture, but I’ve always thought she was attractive.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    That’s Mackenzie Davis from Halt and Catch Fire, Blade Runner 2049, and Black Mirror-San Junipiero. That might not be the most flattering picture, but I’ve always thought she was attractive.
    San Junipero!
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."