Thread: Oculus Rift...

Administrator

England

Oculus Rift...

OK... I caved in to the latest bundle offer and bought one.

I have to say the technology is astounding. The amount you buy into what you're seeing as real is uncanny.

I can only imagine in 3-4yr when we have 2-4 times the resolution (& the GPUs to power them) and goodness knows what other additions, how utterly incredible it will be.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    My interest has muddled since it's been discovered that motion sickness is such a big issue that most games that are ported to it have either been unplayable or been forced to make major alterations to their gameplay.

However looking forward to VR specific AAA+ titles based around mechs, planes or other cockpit based games.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    My interest has muddled since it's been discovered that motion sickness is such a big issue that most games that are ported to it have either been unplayable or been forced to make major alterations to their gameplay.

However looking forward to VR specific AAA+ titles based around mechs, planes or other cockpit based games.
    I never understood the motion sickness concerns over it, given people seem to happily drive cars and fly things with VR helmets on.

But, the problem seems to be more down to standing up, and moving at a walking pace. It seems to throw you off and makes your stomach lurch. Maybe that sort of speed and effect is hard wires into your brain as walking, and to fool your brain to the fact you are, when you're not, is confusing? I guess this is why they've come up the teleport mechanism to move around instead, rather than a more tradition sort of WASD control mechanic.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan