Thread: Now a stunt women dies on Dead Pool 2 set

Administrator

England

Now a stunt women dies on Dead Pool 2 set

http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1691...stained-on-set

I guess with these films having ever bigger and bolder stunts, risks increase? But then surely green screen and CGI can step in to reduce the risk too?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Apparently this was her first movie as a stunt woman, too.

To be frank, though, CGI can't step in all the time and often looks terrible and fake as hell. Stunt Work is inherently dangerous and occasionally terrible things happen (think back a couple of years to that dreadful accident on the set of the latest Resident Evil movie - the stunt woman survived, but was horrifically wounded). They sign up for it and the danger is part of the job, but everyone does what they can to minimise risk (even Tom Cruise had a fumble on the set of M:I 6, but luckily for him he just banged his leg on the side of a building) ... sometimes accidents just happen, unfortunately.

Sometimes it might just come down to a freak accident, or a simple slip into human error, or it could be down to a genuine failing in procedure - in which cases I'm sure it's all learned from - but it's still awful when a stunt person dies or gets seriously injured in the name of entertainment, but you can't rely on CGI for everything. Look at Death Proof, for example, had Zoe Bell just been on the front of the car on a green screen stage it wouldn't have had anywhere near the same effect. Thankfully she wasn't injured during the making of that sequence, and it's one of the most thrilling and all-time greatest car chase sequences ever. Only stunt people can really understand why they do it, and much respect to them.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Apparently this was her first movie as a stunt woman, too.

To be frank, though, CGI can't step in all the time and often looks terrible and fake as hell. Stunt Work is inherently dangerous and occasionally terrible things happen (think back a couple of years to that dreadful accident on the set of the latest Resident Evil movie - the stunt woman survived, but was horrifically wounded). They sign up for it and the danger is part of the job, but everyone does what they can to minimise risk (even Tom Cruise had a fumble on the set of M:I 6, but luckily for him he just banged his leg on the side of a building) ... sometimes accidents just happen, unfortunately.

Sometimes it might just come down to a freak accident, or a simple slip into human error, or it could be down to a genuine failing in procedure - in which cases I'm sure it's all learned from - but it's still awful when a stunt person dies or gets seriously injured in the name of entertainment, but you can't rely on CGI for everything. Look at Death Proof, for example, had Zoe Bell just been on the front of the car on a green screen stage it wouldn't have had anywhere near the same effect. Thankfully she wasn't injured during the making of that sequence, and it's one of the most thrilling and all-time greatest car chase sequences ever. Only stunt people can really understand why they do it, and much respect to them.
    Agreed... But I feel the stunts are constantly being ramped up - as is the way of these things - so surely accidents become more and more likely?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Do we know whether it was the danger of the stunt involved or just bad stunt managment that killed her?
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Do we know whether it was the danger of the stunt involved or just bad stunt managment that killed her?
    Indeed, we don't know the specifics yet. All I've read is that they lost control of the bike ... whatever the reason behind that is, though, no idea yet.

Neil - More stunts doesn't necessarily mean more dangerous. I suppose at a statistical level then it's more likely you're going to have an accident if there are more stunts being performed, but you could apply that logic to anything being done more (and the inverse for less). It'd be interesting to know at an industry level what has been learned from these incidents and what the post-accident assessments have revealed (e.g. failure in communication, failure in some bit of technical kit, human error, or just pure bad luck).

Ireland
    As far as I know there are huge levels of planning with a lot of checks and ballances involved before any stunt takes place. You have, of course, guerilla filmmaking like 'Mad Max' or 'The French Connection' in the past, where someone could have been killed at any time during the stuntwork. But that type of filming really is a thing of the past.

On something as big as a prodution like 'Deadpool 2', there will be people all over those stunts checking and double checking everything before the take is even done. Most stunts are gone over again and again before the camera rolls.

That will never eliminate a silp in timing or an oversight of course. But, by there very nature, stunts are dangerous and nobody gets involved in that industry without being fully made aware of the risks.

That being said, nobody should die on a filmset. I'm of the mind that if a stunt looks too dangerous, then it's wise not to do it at all.

Then again, this could have been a "simple" stunt carried out in dozens of films already.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....