Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Strain (TV series) - Guillermo del Toro's vampire trilogy

Administrator

England

The Strain (TV series) - Guillermo del Toro's vampire trilogy

Although I found the trilogy of books a little up and down in quality, it had enough good elements for me to be interested in the idea for a TV series... and here it is...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/58475

FX has greenlit a pilot for a series based on “The Strain” series of vampire novels co-written by filmmaker Guillermo del Toro (“Hellboy”) and Chuck Hogan.

Del Toro will direct the pilot from a teleplay by del Toro and Hogan.

Carlton Cuse, already hard at work overseeing USA’s upcoming “Pyscho” prequel series “Bates Hotel,” is producing and will serve as “Strain” showrunner should it go to series.

The novels follow scientists working to combat a swarm of hungry vampires that are feasting on humanity.

Del Toro envisions the first two books, “The Strain” and “The Fall,” will likely form the series first two seasons, while “The Night Eternal,” the final book in the trilogy, could be split into seasons three and four.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Filming starts in September. Hoping for a nice dark series out of this!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/62141

Los Angeles, April 18, 2013 – FX has cast House of Cards star Corey Stoll in the lead role in its drama pilot The Strain, based on the best-selling vampire novel trilogy from Academy Award®-Winning Filmmaker Guillermo del Toro and Author Chuck Hogan.

Del Toro and Hogan will co-write the pilot script, with del Toro attached to direct. Award-Winning Writer and Producer Carlton Cuse (Lost, Bates Motel) will be an Executive Producer and oversee the series with Del Toro. He will serve as Showrunner as the pilot goes to series. Hogan and Gary Ungar will also serve as Executive Producers. FX Productions will produce.

The Strain is a one-hour high concept thriller that tells the story of Dr. Ephraim Goodweather (Stoll), the head of the Center for Disease Control Canary Team in New York City. He and his team are called upon to investigate a mysterious viral outbreak with hallmarks of an ancient and evil strain of vampirism. As the strain spreads, Eph, his team, and an assembly of everyday New Yorkers, wage war for the fate of humanity itself.
    I'd like to know how many episodes are planned!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    I feel ashamed to admit I was at Wal-Mart and saw in the $1 book bin a GDT book but hell for a dollar I'll buy anything... it was pretty good. I'm excited about the pilot. When I read that book it felt ripe for the taking and FX really does a great job with all their TV programs for the most part. I think a lot of TV show ideas are kind of played out and vampires are soon to be passé God willing but I genuinely look forward to this.
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJacksonCA View Post
    I feel ashamed to admit I was at Wal-Mart and saw in the $1 book bin a GDT book but hell for a dollar I'll buy anything... it was pretty good. I'm excited about the pilot. When I read that book it felt ripe for the taking and FX really does a great job with all their TV programs for the most part. I think a lot of TV show ideas are kind of played out and vampires are soon to be passé God willing but I genuinely look forward to this.
    Was that the first book of the three?

The latter ones are not as good IMHO, but I'm still looking forward to the series!

ps: John Hurt is to play Professor Abraham Setrakian in the TV series (pilot) - http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/john-hur...ies-the-strain
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Yes, The Strain is the first of the three... its an amazing read, I always hear people describe a book that's so engrossing you can't put it down and this was one where that held true. Like an old John Carpenter film I felt captivated by the atmosphere created and was compelled to keep that book at hand to read relentlessly.
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

Administrator

England
    David Bradley takes over as Prof. Abraham Setrakian instead of John Hurt. Could be good!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/65198

...begins production later this month in Toronto and the series is scheduled to premiere in July of 2014 on FX

Good, that will fill in when next year's Game Of Thrones has finished
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    ...finally! I do hope it lives up to the source material!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uALG7kjctzM

-Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Reviews seem pretty +ve - http://www.ibtimes.com/strain-review...-watch-1597194

“The Strain” had audience members jumping in their seats, even letting out the occasional surprised yelp. While promos and art for the show teased gore in store, it appeared only minimally in the pilot. Instead, most of the chilling aspects that made viewers jump were due to the suspense. That said, the final moments of episode 1 feature one of the most insane scenes I’ve ever seen on TV, right up there with some of the mind-blowing deaths on “Game of Thrones” and “The Walking Dead.”
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Can't wait.

Me and my friends usually have a show that we follow together on breakfast mornings on the weekend, watching the latest episode.
    We've decided to make this our next show. Such a shame it airs sundays, tho, I'll be roughly a week behind.

Administrator

England
    Can't see any release date for this in the UK yet
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Well the reviews seem to like/love it - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/67976

Still no word when it's on in the UK
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Watched this last and it was pretty good. A miss mash of previous vampire efforts. It reminded me a lot of a 70's movie with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee called Horror Express which shared the shit out of me when I was a kid.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Watched this last and it was pretty good. A miss mash of previous vampire efforts. It reminded me a lot of a 70's movie with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee called Horror Express which shared the shit out of me when I was a kid.
    When's it on in the UK? Grrrrrrrr!
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed

The Strain

Well, I watched the first two episodes. The suspense and horror parts of the show were well done, and the barbed tongue attacks were nice to see.

Now for my complaints.

** spoiler alters**

There's way too much stupidity in the acting government authorities to the situation for me to suspend disbelief. Aside from the two main characters, the rest of the CDC heads do things that I'm positive would get them canned in real life.

First point. All the talk outside the plane about the dangers of viruses and bacteria, all the care given towards safely inspecting the interior of the plane, then they just pop open an undocumented alien crate wearing no protective gear at all. Doesn't add up.

Then the CDC director letting the 4 surivors out of quarantine after less than a day when there's an entire freaking plane full of dead people due to unknown reasons, and his objecting to the two main characters' protests and the evidence they try to present to him with the equivalent of sticking his fingers in his ears and going "la la la la, I can't hear you, it was carbon monoxide poisoning"

And finally, the centuries old master vampire who wants to sneak into the U.S., and by starting with slaughtering an entire plane full of people as his first act in the country. Doesn't make any sense there, no matter how old and powerful you are.

I'll probably keep watching, but the show definitely has lost some points with me.
    Last edited by rightwing401; 22-Jul-2014 at 06:09 AM. Reason: word error

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    @rightwing401

Agreed on the governments actions seeming kinda stupid. I hate it when characters actions are motivated by "the plot needs to move forward" rather than what's the sensible way to do. "Lazy writing" so to speak.

Some of the plot reminds me of the videogame Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. Although in that game, the mysterious coffin rolls in on an empty ship rather than lands on a plane.

It could go in any number of ways from here and these coming episodes will be interesting to see how they play out.