Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Night of the Living Dead 4K Restoration

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    A friend of mine who works in the industry is doing 12k scans for future proofing!
    I recall Kevin Smith saying he did an interview with Stan Lee which was shot in a resolution like that, and he asked to look at some of the footage but they said they couldn't - because nothing could play the footage yet!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    For those of you with Amazon's Prime video service, I've passed up a "newly remastered" version of Night on there multiple times. Is it the same as this 4K edit or just another public domain cash grab?

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    For those of you with Amazon's Prime video service, I've passed up a "newly remastered" version of Night on there multiple times. Is it the same as this 4K edit or just another public domain cash grab?
    I would have thought that'd be some cash-grab, if you've passed it up several times at this point.

The special features listed below are for an upcoming release - so that'd be the one to wait for, I'd think.

Super Moderator

Germany
    You did yourself a service by passing it up. It is the Mill Creek release which is worse than the standard def version on Amazon prior to that one. Definitely a cash grab.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, Criterion will be releasing the restored version on blu-ray of Night in the UK in February as well.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    By the way, Criterion will be releasing the restored version on blu-ray of Night in the UK in February as well.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Criterion’s release won the Saturn Award for best DVD/Blu Ray Special Edition: https://deadline.com/2018/06/saturn-...ut-1202418606/

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    In the US it was in the top 10 best selling BluRays for a week or two, which is the first time that's ever happened to a Criterion

Super Moderator

UK
    Criterion’s release won the Saturn Award for best DVD/Blu Ray Special Edition: https://deadline.com/2018/06/saturn-...ut-1202418606/
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    In the US it was in the top 10 best selling BluRays for a week or two, which is the first time that's ever happened to a Criterion
    Sweet!

Night has never looked or sounded better. An excellent restoration with a top notch selection of extras. Shame about the iffy packaging style, but that's only a tiny quibble. It's nice to have a definitive copy of Night in my collection. Now ... how about Dawn & Day, eh? I'm waiting for a truly worthy Blu-Ray upgrade on both of those to step up from my Ultimate Edition and Divimax copies respectively.

United States
    I was going to buy a copy because it was supposed to have the work print with the 9 minutes of added material, but since that turned out to be a sham, I won't be buying it anytime soon. I still use old SD CRT TVs, so the added resolution wouIdn't do me much good, anyhow. I'm satisfied with the Millennium Edition DVD for now.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by beat_truck View Post
    I was going to buy a copy because it was supposed to have the work print with the 9 minutes of added material, but since that turned out to be a sham, I won't be buying it anytime soon. I still use old SD CRT TVs, so the added resolution wouIdn't do me much good, anyhow. I'm satisfied with the Millennium Edition DVD for now.
    Yeah, that whole "Night of the Anubis"-thing is a pointless addition. It's just an old beatup workprint with no added scenes.

Super Moderator

Germany
    Hey folks,

If you prefer streaming to buying physical discs, Vudu is offering the Criterion version of Night of the Living Dead (1968) for purchase.

It looks great, btw.

Kaos

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by beat_truck View Post
    I only ever saw that as a fan rumor quickly debunked by those involved.