Thread: Stan Lee - Creator of Marvel Comics "The Zombie" (and others) dead at age 95

United States

Stan Lee - Creator of Marvel Comics "The Zombie" (and others) dead at age 95

OK, obviously Stan Lee is more well known for being involved with many other Marvel characters than for "The Zombie", but this is a zombie related message board, so....

Here is a link to an article if you want more info than just 'he's dead'.....https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...-legend-721450

Interesting thing about the Marvel character The Zombie. It was created in 1953 by Stan Lee as a stand alone issue in an anthology comic called "Menace". In 1973, Marvel made a series of comics under the name "Tales of the Zombie." The First issue features a tagline of...

"He Lives! He Strikes! No grave can hold him!
    Night of the Walking Dead!"

Very interesting word choice there, eh?

TalesOfTheZombie1.jpg

United States
    Rest In Peace to one of my heroes. Grew up with his characters and was just a marvelous human being. Excelsior, Stan.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Ireland
    95 isn't a bad innings.

Stan Lee never really meant that much to me. Growing up in Ireland, we'd only get the occasional Marvel comic here and there and I was never really into superheroes anyway. My thing was comics like Warlord, Battle and especially 2000AD. Those were always a different kettle of fish.

But, I was always familiar with his name and his influence on comics is legendary.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    His contributions to popular culture can’t be overstated, but I for one am tired of the reactions his cameos receive in cinemas. It had been common knowledge for years that he’d cameo in just about EVERY Marvel film, yet every time he would appear, you’d always have those people that would make a huge deal out of it in the middle of the theater as if they’re in on some super duper secret. Anyone else ever see this? It became quite distracting in recent years.

95 and having contributed as much as he did to the world? The dude had a great run....

Rising

United States
    His contributions to comics were great, but he also owed a great deal of his success to his partner Jack Kirby, something Lee never fully acknowledged. Without Kirby's input and very characteristic drawing style, I doubt Marvel comics would have been as successful.

United States
    Stan "The Man" Lee...I grew up a rabid Marvel Comics fan, so this is a huge blow to the feels for me. He had a heck of a run and he will be missed!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    95 isn't a bad innings.
    And seemingly having a good time till the end!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    His contributions to comics were great, but he also owed a great deal of his success to his partner Jack Kirby, something Lee never fully acknowledged. Without Kirby's input and very characteristic drawing style, I doubt Marvel comics would have been as successful.
    Agreed. Lee for various reasons became the “face” of Marvel, but there are some others that deserve just as much recognition. For example, I don’t recall seeing more than two people mentioning the death of Steve Ditko earlier this year....

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Agreed. Lee for various reasons became the “face” of Marvel, but there are some others that deserve just as much recognition. For example, I don’t recall seeing more than two people mentioning the death of Steve Ditko earlier this year....
    Yep. I never really cared for him much, but it's a shame I suppose. We all gotta go some time. I like the Key & Peele sketch they did poking fun at the guy.