Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night of the Living Dead 4K Restoration

Administrator

England

Night of the Living Dead 4K Restoration

It will begin screening at the Film Forum in New York City on October 13th - http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/34...-distribution/
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

Germany
    I'll be seeing it the weekend before Halloween. It plays at the AFI theater in Silver Spring at various times over that weekend.

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    I saw it last night at the Pittsburgh premiere.

The showing was preceded by a Q&A panel with 4 of the 5 surviving member of Image Ten (John Russo, Russ Streiner, Gary Streiner, and Rudy Ricci; with only Marilyn Eastman absent), the original investors in NOLD. The 4K release means that the investors now, after 50 years of struggle, finally own a copyright to a version of NOLD, which one called "exhilarating." The frustration of decades of battling with the US copyright office was palpable, as was the team's victory of securing the 4k restoration, and the archiving of the original negative at the Museum of Modern Art. Gary Streiner is doing a bang-up job carrying the torch publicly for this group, as evidenced by his leadership every year of the Living Dead Festival in the community of Evans City, the original filming location.

Creatively, seeing the film in 4K on the big screen did not knock me out initially, probably because we are all so used to seeing films with this level of clarity, and because the impact of the film lies, of course, more in the story and mood. But as the film progressed, it was a pleasure seeing a level of detail never noticed before such as:
    - various props and set dressing in the farmhouse
    - the zombies (oops, ghouls) in the background
    - close-ups of the leads - their expressions, clothing
    - sound effects

Seeing this level of clarity in the film makes one even more impressed with the high level of attention to detail that the filmmakers provided to their work; something that is usually absent in other low-budget pictures. It is further evidence of their high level of personal investment, hard work and passion in the project, which have contributed to its enduring success.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Sounds neat. Pleasant report.

I hope I get a chance to see it. I'm going to try to catch the Suspiria restoration that's touring the globe. Don't know if this one will hit my hoods, tho.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by All messed up View Post
    I saw it last night at the Pittsburgh premiere.

The showing was preceded by a Q&A panel with 4 of the 5 surviving member of Image Ten (John Russo, Russ Streiner, Gary Streiner, and Rudy Ricci; with only Marilyn Eastman absent), the original investors in NOLD. The 4K release means that the investors now, after 50 years of struggle, finally own a copyright to a version of NOLD, which one called "exhilarating." The frustration of decades of battling with the US copyright office was palpable, as was the team's victory of securing the 4k restoration, and the archiving of the original negative at the Museum of Modern Art. Gary Streiner is doing a bang-up job carrying the torch publicly for this group, as evidenced by his leadership every year of the Living Dead Festival in the community of Evans City, the original filming location.

Creatively, seeing the film in 4K on the big screen did not knock me out initially, probably because we are all so used to seeing films with this level of clarity, and because the impact of the film lies, of course, more in the story and mood. But as the film progressed, it was a pleasure seeing a level of detail never noticed before such as:
    - various props and set dressing in the farmhouse
    - the zombies (oops, ghouls) in the background
    - close-ups of the leads - their expressions, clothing
    - sound effects

Seeing this level of clarity in the film makes one even more impressed with the high level of attention to detail that the filmmakers provided to their work; something that is usually absent in other low-budget pictures. It is further evidence of their high level of personal investment, hard work and passion in the project, which have contributed to its enduring success.
    Thanks for the report!

Shame Mr Romero wasn't there of course
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

Germany
    I saw it tonight, and it looked fantastic. It is likely that this version looks better than it did the night it premiered.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    I saw it tonight, and it looked fantastic. It is likely that this version looks better than it did the night it premiered.
    Jesus!

I'm going to see Suspiria and Evil Dead in 4k on tuesday. I hope I get to see this in 4k as well!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    I'd imagine with better projectors etc... Yes!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

Germany
    Great news! Criterion is releasing the Restoration on Blu-ray in February!

https://www.criterion.com/films/2933...he-living-dead

From the site:

• New 4K digital restoration, supervised by director George A. Romero, coscreenwriter John A. Russo, sound engineer Gary R. Streiner, and producer Russell W. Streiner
    • New restoration of the monaural soundtrack, supervised by Romero and Gary R. Streiner, and presented uncompressed on the Blu-ray
    • Night of Anubis, a never-before-presented work-print edit of the film
    • New program featuring filmmakers Frank Darabont, Guillermo del Toro, and Robert Rodriguez
    • Never-before-seen 16 mm dailies reel
    • New piece featuring Russo about the commercial and industrial-film production company where key Night of the Living Dead filmmakers got their start
    • Two audio commentaries from 1994, featuring Romero, Russo, producer Karl Hardman, actor
      Judith O’Dea, and more
    • Archival interviews with Romero and actors Duane Jones and Judith Ridley
    • New programs about the editing, the score, and directing ghouls
    • New interviews with Gary R. Streiner and Russel W. Streiner
    • Trailer, radio spots, and TV spots
    • More!
    • PLUS: An essay by critic Stuart Klawans

Administrator

England
    ^ But not a 4K version?

And what about all that extra footage (cellar?) they found a while back?
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

Germany
    Criterion hasn't started doing UHD blu-rays yet.

Not certain about the cellar footage.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    This will be the definite blu ray release of this film. Feels good.

Super Moderator

UK
    Hopefully the new Blu-Ray will come to UK shores, too! I'd certainly make the triple-dip for that package of extras.

As for UHD - well, the market for that is still quite niche, so these don't often get released (usually just very mainstream stuff on UHD) - however, it's good to see some 'future proofing' with these old movies by getting these 4K scans done now, especially while some of the key creatives are still alive to supervise the transfers.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Hopefully the new Blu-Ray will come to UK shores, too! I'd certainly make the triple-dip for that package of extras.

As for UHD - well, the market for that is still quite niche, so these don't often get released (usually just very mainstream stuff on UHD) - however, it's good to see some 'future proofing' with these old movies by getting these 4K scans done now, especially while some of the key creatives are still alive to supervise the transfers.
    A friend of mine who works in the industry is doing 12k scans for future proofing!
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    I read somewhere (I forget where) that the "9 minutes of extra footage" thing turned out to be a load of BS, it wasn't actually found after all. I was reading anything and everything I could possibly find on the subject as I really wanted to see it. Needless to say I was very disappointed, actually kinda pissed more like it, when I read that.