Thread: IAMX - I Salute You Christopher

Administrator

England

IAMX - I Salute You Christopher

I was watching an episode of Tin Star (drama) this week, and an emotive bit of music kicked off. As I listened the hairs on the back of my neck went up. As a big fan of Christopher Hitchens (who died back in 2011), certain lines of the lyrics made me realise it was about him (specifically when it got the the bold text below)... Wow!

What a great track and a great homage to a great thinker!

Play it loud...

I salute you Christopher
    I salute your life
    How you played the dice

Your words will live in us
    Timelessly insane
    Explosive, fresh and wise

Some will just forget
    Some will close their eyes
    Some will turn the tide

I salute you Christopher
    Whiskey raised and downed
    You risked and you took the crown

Console yourselves
    That a scientific death is better than a fairy tale
    Of the eternal life

Control yourselves
    Because the man in the sky is a tyrant and a lonely psychopath
    Dreamed up to steal your minds

A horseman on a trial
    A brilliant gentle wreck
    With a brutal mouth for press

No submit, no compromise
    Saint Christopher of the truth
    And a destroyer of smoke screens and threats

They will learn to see in time
    They will think before they refuse
    The civilisation rules

I salute you Christopher
    I declare you as our king
    Or queen, depending on your mood
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I've seen all of "Tin Star" and it was great (aside - no spoilers - from one plot point I wasn't keen on).

Which episode was this track in? I remember it being quite skin-tingling when it came up, but can't quite recall the context.

Administrator

England
    I think it was episode 5? In non-spoiler lingo, where he was burning the car after "the driver" had "taken a trip" through the windscreen, and the driver's "friend" was watching from the woods... It was playing during that scene...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I think it was episode 5? In non-spoiler lingo, where he was burning the car after "the driver" had "taken a trip" through the windscreen, and the driver's "friend" was watching from the woods... It was playing during that scene...
    Ah, yes! A good scene, that!

Have you see all the episodes yet? I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Administrator

England
    Just watched this scene (in Tin Star S01E05) again with this music. It's an epic montage!

Anyhoo, Tin Star season 3 soon...
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Just watched this scene (in Tin Star S01E05) again with this music. It's an epic montage!

Anyhoo, Tin Star season 3 soon...
    Hoepfully season 3 will be better than 2, which turned into too much of a comedic farce. He just romped around like a total loose canon doing whatever he wanted and getting away with it completely. He was just driving cars into buildings and nobody really did anything about it. It got farcical. Really dented how good and enjoyable the first season was. Hopefully this final season will rebalance things and not be so silly.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Hoepfully season 3 will be better than 2, which turned into too much of a comedic farce. He just romped around like a total loose canon doing whatever he wanted and getting away with it completely. He was just driving cars into buildings and nobody really did anything about it. It got farcical. Really dented how good and enjoyable the first season was. Hopefully this final season will rebalance things and not be so silly.
    Ahh, it had its moments still...

The scene where his daughter came to his hotel room, and there were prostitutes everywhere? That was season 2 was it not?
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Ahh, it had its moments still...

The scene where his daughter came to his hotel room, and there were prostitutes everywhere? That was season 2 was it not?
    Can't remember, probably.

S2 did have various good bits, but those silly bits where they just went overboard with the, well, silliness, had a much larger impact on what was around it. Those scenes grated and lingered in the mind, negatively impacting the rest of it. I thought S1 was excellent and got the tone just right. S1 only had one mis-step...

The daughter seemed to be bizarrely okay with finding out the guy she'd shagged was in fact the killer of her little brother. Be it accidental or not, and whether or not the killer had a rough childhood or not, how could any sister defend, in any way, the killer of her own brother?