Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TWD 8x02 "The Damned" episode discussion... **SPOILERS*

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Haha Morales wasn’t brought back for ratings, barely anyone remembered who he was, so nah, I don’t think so.

Big country yeah but not impossible to happen. If there is one thing that was thin it was Jeus and Tara going tit for tat about killing again. I’m so done with that argument.
    1) And Morgan found Rick again, albeit with a bit of help from coincidence more than 50 miles away from Alexandria (when he helped out Aaron and Daryl).

2) Welllll ... I wouldn't say it's done. They're in a war now - and what do you do if you have people surrendering? As we saw with Rick, the man wasn't protecting guns but was protecting his baby daughter (the father believing Rick to be a monstrous murderer hellbent on destruction ... kind of like how many of Team Rick view the Saviours as a whole). Killing someone who is trying to kill you in the moment is one thing, murdering someone who is unarmed and surrendering is another thing entirely. The context has changed and become more complicated - the argument is still valid to have. We're not in a Season 2 landscape anymore, dealing with a potential threat from one person over a single farm and a handful of people - it's literally a war - but just because it's the ZA, doesn't mean Team Rick aren't risking committing war crimes.

They have to be better than Negan et al. Slaughtering everyone regardless isn't being better.

United States
    I agree with everything you stated. I just don’t want another arc about killing vs not killing. I just hope they don’t dwell on it but I have a feeling it’s gonna be an important story beat for the next few episodes. I guess I just don’t buy Tara as a stone cold killer; even after losing Denise. She lost her sister and niece and didn’t go off looking for blood.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    Haha Morales wasn’t brought back for ratings, barely anyone remembered who he was, so nah, I don’t think so.

Big country yeah but not impossible to happen. If there is one thing that was thin it was Jeus and Tara going tit for tat about killing again. I’m so done with that argument.
    Agreed with the Tara and Jesus bullshit, I was cringing through the whole scene. I can’t believe some writer brought that retarded shit back into the fold again ugh

Ireland
    I'm agreeing with moon here again, that kill/don't kill thing is bloody old. I understand the hesitancy of particular situations and all, but that scene as played out in ep2 was awful. I was just wishing that Tara pulled the flippin trigger.

Even after the sucker turn around by Jesus, she still didn't just walk up and cap that dick head? Who, frankly, has already proven himself to be a seriously dodgy geezer.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I'm agreeing with moon here again, that kill/don't kill thing is bloody old. I understand the hesitancy of particular situations and all, but that scene as played out in ep2 was awful. I was just wishing that Tara pulled the flippin trigger.

Even after the sucker turn around by Jesus, she still didn't just walk up and cap that dick head? Who, frankly, has already proven himself to be a seriously dodgy geezer.
    And if they wanna save face after that debacle of a story line, Rick finds out and says what the fuck, grabs a machine gun walks right up to all the prisoners and mows em down in cold blood and then does a mic drop.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleydude666 View Post
    And if they wanna save face after that debacle of a story line, Rick finds out and says what the fuck, grabs a machine gun walks right up to all the prisoners and mows em down in cold blood and then does a mic drop.
    As much as I love badass take no prisoners Rick, I think they added the scene where he killed Baby Gracie’s father so they can soften him up a bit. Rick understood at that moment the man he just killed wasn’t fighting for the guns, he was fighting to protect his child. Rick looks into the mirror and see’s what he’s become. Tara even said something along the lines of “We’ll just wait and see what Rick thinks about this.” Paraphrasing of course.

I get what MZ was getting at. We can’t have everyone go terminator Morgan on everyone and in time of war I’m sure similar situations concerning POW’s has happened. I just felt like we’ve seen this too many times already.

Randal, Tyreese, Morgan, the Wolf, all examples of to kill or not to kill.

I do like what they did with Rick though. Great freaking scene. Gave me a Last of Us vibe.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 03-Nov-2017 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Added
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleydude666 View Post
    Rick going full Randy Watson.

Ummm...can't see that happening there Harley.

- - - Updated - - -

As much as I love badass take no prisoners Rick, I think they added the scene where he killed Baby Gracie’s father so they can soften him up a bit. Rick understood at that moment the man he just killed wasn’t fighting for the guns, he was fighting to protect his child. Rick looks into the mirror and see’s what he’s become. Tara even said something along the lines of “We’ll just wait and see what Rick thinks about this.” Paraphrasing of course.

I get what MZ was getting at. We can’t have everyone go terminator Morgan on everyone and in time of war I’m sure similar situations concerning POW’s has happened. I just felt like we’ve seen this too many times already.

Randal, Tyreese, Morgan, the Wolf, all examples of to kill or not to kill.

I do like what they did with Rick though. Great freaking scene. Gave me a Last of Us vibe.
    In fairness to Rick, the guy came out fists flying, so Ricky boy was just fighting for his own life. Gracie didn't really come into the equation. Although the "what have I become" face in the mirror was handled well enough.

I just feel, as others do, that "Oh noes...I'm a killer now" schtick is done at this stage.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    I agree with everything you stated. I just don’t want another arc about killing vs not killing. I just hope they don’t dwell on it but I have a feeling it’s gonna be an important story beat for the next few episodes. I guess I just don’t buy Tara as a stone cold killer; even after losing Denise. She lost her sister and niece and didn’t go off looking for blood.
    Because those 'responsible' (i.e. The Governor) were already dead. She was also pretty sheltered at that point, having lived in that apartment block for such a long time without much need to go out into the world. So she was in shock after all that until Glenn brought her along with him. Then, after that point, she had various trials to go through which threw a lot of grime on her, so she's having to wrestle with some of this stuff for the first time in many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I think that would have been an interesting alteration to the scene and provide a bit more Tara/Jesus head bashing. Incidentally, did anyone see them on Talking Dead? They're a good double act.

United States
    The killing trope has been done to death, they really need to move away from that. This far into the apocalypse you would think people would be willing to do what needs to be done already.

I wasn’t blaming Rick at all for killing that Savior, he did what he had to do. I believe he was thinking to himself that he’s no better than they are at this point. He just has to accept that and move on. Although, I believe there still is a pretty significant difference between the two camps.

Tara and Jesus were pretty fun together on Talking Dead.

Super Moderator

UK
    The killing trope has been done to death, they really need to move away from that. This far into the apocalypse you would think people would be willing to do what needs to be done already.

Tara and Jesus were pretty fun together on Talking Dead.
    1) There's still the need to not turn into a monster though, and I think facing a whole raft of surrendered conscripts needs addressing, at least for the sake of the morality of Team Rick. Tara didn't need to kill that man necessarily, she wanted to kill him - and that's the key difference. Jesus was up for the mission, but he saw a difference between immediate combat and fellow human beings.

2) We need more Tara/Jesus banter. They should do a regular 'skype-in' on Talking Dead with a pair of actors who get on really well on-set. It was fun - I'd prefer much more of that than the shite Twitter comments and that Subway Fresh garbage segment.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    1) There's still the need to not turn into a monster though, and I think facing a whole raft of surrendered conscripts needs addressing, at least for the sake of the morality of Team Rick. Tara didn't need to kill that man necessarily, she wanted to kill him - and that's the key difference. Jesus was up for the mission, but he saw a difference between immediate combat and fellow human beings.

2) We need more Tara/Jesus banter. They should do a regular 'skype-in' on Talking Dead with a pair of actors who get on really well on-set. It was fun - I'd prefer much more of that than the shite Twitter comments and that Subway Fresh garbage segment.
    Every time I begin doubting something you have to make sense and make me feel better about it, geez thanks.

As long as it’s not a half season arc I’m good with it.

I hate anything twitter related haha.

Super Moderator

UK
    Every time I begin doubting something you have to make sense and make me feel better about it, geez thanks.