Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TWD 8x02 "The Damned" episode discussion... **SPOILERS*

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 8x02 "The Damned" episode discussion... **SPOILERS*

Please keep all talk of episode 8x02 "The Damned" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

Directed by: Rosemary Rodriguez
    Written by: Matthew Negrete & Channing Powell

"The plan involving Alexandrians, Kingdommers and Hilltoppers unfolds. As Rick continues to fight, he encounters a familiar face."
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 30-Oct-2017 at 12:52 PM.

United States
    Well I had quite a narrative type and an error occurred. Energy depleted so I will simply leave it as TWD are lucky to have two actors of Lennie James and Andrew Lincoln. Very interesting to see the duality of war. It's never black and white.

Rising

United States
    Oh no, now Morgan is "bulletproof" too! It seems to have become a trend in this show that all a character needs in order to overcome huge odds against him and become practically invincible is to get very pissed off. Rick did it when Carl lost his eye, going into "God Mode" against a huge mass of zombies that otherwise should quickly have overwhelmed him and munched him down. Negan did it in the previous episode, openly exposing himself to hostile fire without any care in the world, as if there was nothing there right in front of him. Now Morgan goes on a killing rampage without making the least attempt at covering against enemy fire. I hope this Rambo-like trend stops.

Morales apparently has "gone bad". Did not expect that one.

The in-between-commercials mini episodes (they started in the previous episode) about how the red machete, the one that was used to kill creepy cannibal Gareth, got to Rick's hands are pretty cool and unusual. Never thought we would see a backstory for a weapon.
    Last edited by JDP; 30-Oct-2017 at 12:05 PM. Reason: ;

England
    Enjoyed this much better than last week's amateur hour effort with the flash forward/sideways whatever.
    This was a much more coherent way of telling the story. Could have done without the lingering full head shots though. Feels like they're just padding out the runtime
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    People are capable of incredible feats when push comes to shove, that or extreme cowardice. We get the rough, but we also get the smooth - Morgan's rampage is part of the (relative) smooth, and had narrative purpose. I see no issue with it.

As previously mentioned, the duality of war theme in this episode was strong - Rick discovering he's just orphaned an infant was powerful stuff - and HOLY SHIT! MORALES! I'd wondered if they'd ever bring him back and here we are - looks like he's been through unspeakable things. Did any of his family survive? How did he hook up with the Saviours? Will Rick have to kill him? Can Morales come back from the brink and leave the Saviours? He needs to have a sit down with Carl, Daryl, and Carol (the other remaining survivors of season one). Although, seeing as he's the one who has tipped off all the other Saviours it's a slim chance for redemption for Morales.

Plenty of action in this one. The organised sweeping of the radar outpost was good stuff, I enjoyed the Ezekiel/Carol stuff about the difference between enjoying it and simply having your game face on.

But man ... I can't wait for next week's episode with all this Morales stuff going on. This could be a really interesting plotline - two former (albeit brief) allies from the very beginning meeting up again on opposing sides of a war after they've each been through some serious shit. It just goes to show that many of the Saviours are normal people like everyone else, they're merely conscripts. Would have been nice if Morgan had snuffed out that long-haired Saviour asshole, though ... that dude's nothing but bad news ... the other prisoners (the lead surrender guy in particular) seem more reasonable.

I wonder if Rick will mention that Negan bashed Glenn's head in with Lucille? Morales knew Glenn right at the start.

Concerning the preview scene for next week's episode:

Interesting, too, that in a preview of next week he refers to "The King" and "The Widow" (Ezekiel and Maggie) - now, Morales doesn't know Maggie, but he sure as hell knew Glenn. The nicknames (rather than actual names) is a subtle step towards 'dehumanising your enemy' as well. You see it in politics, too, a way to justify your (oftentimes extreme) outlook, and of course in times of war to get go some way to getting you through a dreadful circumstance.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 30-Oct-2017 at 01:11 PM.

United States
    Rick and Morales knew each other when they were both full of humanity. I think their conversation would be very interesting. Morales even stood up for Rick when Glenn brought him to group. Andrea had the gun in ricks face and Morales told her to knock it off. We all know Rick has mercy left and even though he has changed from Quary Rick I think his internal good far outweighs his lesser qualities. The question will be is how far gone is Morales? And let's not forget Daryl is nearby and he isn't let Rick be threatened. To add to that I wonder what Morales with think about Daryl and Rick together. The Daryl Morales knew wasn't the most trusting image as a tandem with Merle.

United States
    Remember, Morgan doesn’t die, he said so way back in “Clear” during season 3.

I can’t beleive they brought back Morales. Dude even became an internet meme and now his character resurrection is a reality. Came out of nowhere.

That baby Gracie scene with Rick was pretty sad. Damn.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    I wonder what Morales with think about Daryl and Rick together. The Daryl Morales knew wasn't the most trusting image as a tandem with Merle.
    I was thinking that very same thing. Daryl was pretty much an asshole they had to tolerate back then - but his character was purely based on Merle's dominance. Daryl's come a long way since then, as has - evidently - Morales. This is some juicy stuff to dig into and I'm psyched for it!

Totally didn't see it coming, either. A nice little surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    That baby Gracie scene with Rick was pretty sad. Damn.
    Maybe he could adopt her. Then he can have two kids that aren't his.

United States
    Rick doesn’t need more kids haha.

Another thing, I just love watching Ezekiel and Jerry together. Dude always puts a smile on my face.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Another thing, I just love watching Ezekiel and Jerry together. Dude always puts a smile on my face.
    Gotta love Gerry! It's nice to have a character or two in the mix who provide a bit of comic relief (for lack of a better term). Eugene and Tara have both skewed a smidge towards the darker side in recent episodes, although they still retain their lighter side (e.g. Tara in sunglasses and chewing red vines in last week's episode). It's nice to see Gerry as this big friendly giant with a huge double-headed axe - dude's deadly when he has to be with that thing!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Gotta love Gerry! It's nice to have a character or two in the mix who provide a bit of comic relief (for lack of a better term). Eugene and Tara have both skewed a smidge towards the darker side in recent episodes, although they still retain their lighter side (e.g. Tara in sunglasses and chewing red vines in last week's episode). It's nice to see Gerry as this big friendly giant with a huge double-headed axe - dude's deadly when he has to be with that thing!
    Is that what they call Twizzlers in the UK?

I thought red vines is what they call them in America? I'm not sure what we call them here, I've never really been a fan of liquorice.

- - - Updated - - -

They are called Twizzlers here. Stuff is gross not a fan.

Theory about the Velveteen Rabbit in baby Gracie’s crib. It’s the same Rabbit Rick’s daughter was holding in the flash forward.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 31-Oct-2017 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Tara

United States
    I know this is TWD and all, but it's an UNBELIEVABLE coincidence for Rick to meet up with Morales again. They originally met in Atlanta. Morales' family split from Rick's group and headed for Birmingham, AL or some crap. Now Rick's group is just outside of DC. What are the chances two people would meet again, a couple hundred miles away from where they started, especially in a world that far gone and hard to get around in?

United States
    So is the little girl in Ricks future visions Gracie and not Judith?

Administrator

England
    Anyone else think that episode just seemed a bit messy as regards editing? And yet more needless over the top plans?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    I'm drunk.

But does someone want to tell me what the hell is going on?
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....