Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TWD 8x06 "The King, the Widow, and Rick" episode discussion... **SPOILERS*

Super Moderator

UK
    The thing I like most about Carl is having to navigate through his formative years during this extraordinary (and extreme) scenario. We saw how easily it could go wrong - when he shot that teen boy from Woodbury while he was with Hershel in Season 3's finale, and we've seen how it can go well - his interaction with Edith, and realising there's more of a balance to be struck when dealing with problems in the ZA.

Rosita - they could have had it that the gun was shot out of her hand. I know it's a very close call, but it would have been better over all. In terms of 'in-show' time passing Rosita hasn't been out of the fight for long at all (a matter of days at most), so to sloppily lose her gun like that is a bit of a stretch. A near miss - perhaps even a graze to her hand/arm from a richochet bullet after it hits her gun - would have been better IMO. I did love the RPG kill - it's one of those moments when you're thinking "can they really?", but then they actually do and it's a hell of a lot of fun.

Also, Moon, I agree with you on the story structure vs cast availability. Makes much more sense to do the episodes over a very condensed time period so it's more sensible to not see certain characters for a few episodes at a time. It also gives the chance to insert other characters (such as Aaron) a bit more. But yes, the cast is vast, most definitely. Hopefully we can whittle it down to a more manageable 'big number' by the time All Out War is done and dusted. Getting a bit more juice out of lesser-seen supporting characters would help fill in some gaps while other players are away on other projects.

I see Jadis is wearing Rick's boots. Looking forward to seeing him take them back.

And where the hell is Heath? That character has really been a casualty of two things - the huge cast and the actor's film career success (good on him for that, btw). Kind of all came together to go against Heath ... now, what do you think should be done? Recast the role, or kill the character off?
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 29-Nov-2017 at 10:15 AM.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I did love the RPG kill - it's one of those moments when you're thinking "can they really?", but then they actually do and it's a hell of a lot of fun.
    The producers obviously have watched the cool & over-the-top final death scenes of Death Wish III and Death Wish IV:

United States
    A week or two ago, I was about to ask if I had missed something as I wasn't sure what happened to Heath. Did he just drive off into the sunset after the fight on the bridge near Oceanside?
    Last edited by beat_truck; 29-Nov-2017 at 07:08 PM. Reason: typo

England
    I see the Romulans were back.
    Literally garbage.
    I'm gonna hang on in there but it's becoming a chore to watch.
    I think it needs a refresh, overhaul, something.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Administrator

England
    The dump truck crash was too convenient for my taste. How come Daryl and Tara ended up in the same place, with a dump truck, and hit it at the exact right moment? I liked the idea of the speaker truck - but being that it's been taken out of the running, it's ultimately filler.
    Yeh, I rolled my eyes at that bit...

Would have prefered to have seen the girls fumbling over trying to get another grenade in the launcher, and just firing it off in time or something?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    I'm gonna hang on in there but it's becoming a chore to watch.
    I just don't understand this whatsoever, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Yeh, I rolled my eyes at that bit...

Would have prefered to have seen the girls fumbling over trying to get another grenade in the launcher, and just firing it off in time or something?
    Yeah, that would have worked better - and then Michonne and Rosita could be assessing either the wreckage or the lock-up for supplies, then they hear an engine - scramble to defend themselves, but it turns out it's Daryl and Tara who happened to be somewhere nearby when they heard the explosion. That would have worked better. You don't get a cool crash out of it, but it would just be more believable.

But we shouldn't let small slip-ups like that detract from the overall, which is still good.

UK
    you're thinking "can they really?", but then they actually do and it's a hell of a lot of fun.
    I love stuff like that because it appeals to the immature part of my personality and if you let go of that part of you, it's a sad day. I had the same reaction to the RPG kill than I did the tiger attack on Negan last year , I cheered, I punched the air and swore!!!

I didn't really mind the dumper truck think that much but it was as you say a bit clunky in its execution but it would IMO have been less believable that Rosita and Michonne would allow her to get back to the sanctuary.

I loved the whole releasing the spirits thing with Carl's new pal. We need more "they are us, and we are them" type moments in the show. In fact we have had way too few moments like Eric, Mearle or Amy rising to punch you in the heart in the whole run of the show.

Please kill all of the Garbage Gang asap, they add zero to the show and they are not believable as characters. Who would talk like that after only a couple of years, seriously.
    Last edited by DayoftheZ; 30-Nov-2017 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Spelling and my Grandma

United States

Yeah, that would have worked better - and then Michonne and Rosita could be assessing either the wreckage or the lock-up for supplies, then they hear an engine - scramble to defend themselves, but it turns out it's Daryl and Tara who happened to be somewhere nearby when they heard the explosion. That would have worked better. You don't get a cool crash out of it, but it would just be more believable.

But we shouldn't let small slip-ups like that detract from the overall, which is still good.
    I will never understand that.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Administrator

England

Other annoyance is - as with every episode they appear in - People who funny talk, as evolved backward they have, two years just after apocalyse...

Very very tossy IMHO
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by DayoftheZ View Post
    I love stuff like that because it appeals to the immature part of my personality and if you let go of that part of you, it's a sad day. I had the same reaction to the RPG kill than I did the tiger attack on Negan last year , I cheered, I punched the air and swore!!!

I loved the whole releasing the spirits thing with Carl's new pal. We need more "they are us, and we are them" type moments in the show. In fact we have had way too few moments like Eric, Mearle or Amy rising to punch you in the heart in the whole run of the show.

Please kill all of the Garbage Gang asap, they add zero to the show and they are not believable as characters. Who would talk like that after only a couple of years, seriously.
    1) Aye, fair play, I do love such moments - I had a similar reaction to Shiva in 7x16. Sometimes it's nice to just go 'fudge yeah' at your telly screen.

2) Agreed - it gives an added bit of cultural flavour and a different type of backstory to a character on the show. I loved the stuff with Eric turning - the sight of him walking off to join the walker herd was heartbreaking - and we do need more of those moments, just a little bit more, not to over do it, but just to inject a smidge of humanity into the walkers. Obviously they're not Romero style in that they don't recall their past lives in any way, they don't try and call up their Aunt Alicia, and don't operate weaponry (albeit haphazardly), but the times when they do flag up the tragedy of losing someone to the walkers on this show is always good. A smidge more would be welcome.

3) Yeah ... my short-hand for them is "Beyond Thunderdome". They feel too movie-like, plucked from some kind of fantasy, rather than the grounded vibe of TWD's pilot, which should remain as a guided light for the tone, I feel. The Heapsters' "say only what you need to say" thing is a bit silly. I can understand the development of a cult in the ZA, but this isn't that, so it doesn't really work.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    I will never understand that.
    Me not understanding his 'chore' outlook, or you likewise not understanding the 'chore' outlook?

England
    It's a chore because there is much, much better written, produced and acted tv out there and I'm watching TWD out of habit and some sense of loyalty. It looks cheap. They are repeating themes over and over again.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    MZ, I agree with you haha.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    MZ, I agree with you haha.
    MK & MZ, MZ & MK ... we need our own TWD reality/talk show.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by minionzombie View Post
    mk & mz, mz & mk ... We need our own twd reality/talk show.
    Ratings!
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 01-Dec-2017 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Caps

Super Moderator

UK
    Ratings!
    Money! and...