Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TWD 8x06 "The King, the Widow, and Rick" episode discussion... **SPOILERS*

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 8x06 "The King, the Widow, and Rick" episode discussion... **SPOILERS*

Please keep all talk of episode 8x06 "The King, the Widow, and Rick" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

Directed by: John Polson
    Written by: Angela Kang & Corey Reed

With things looking up for Rick and the group, an argument breaks out at the Hilltop; the consequences of the decision are life versus death.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 27-Nov-2017 at 05:05 PM.

United States
    I’ll start it off without any spoilers. Seriously???? That whole Carl story line???? He’s now gonna put his life at stake for a guy he just met because his mother felt it was the right thing to do????? For something so menial, and while he’s in the middle of fighting a war???? Good God the writing is really pathetic and picking up steam by the episode.

I’m losing hope really fast now. How does Gimple and Nicotero not see what’s happening here? I can’t believe they can’t see it or even be on board with this

United States
    This episode is a set up for the future. Not special but it was fun to watch. Up until the point they took Fukn Morgan off TWD to fear!!!!! Get the absolute fuck the hell outta hear. I haven't watched fear since 2-3. Morgan needs to be with Rick. GD it all to hell. I don't like this at all.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    This episode is a set up for the future. Not special but it was fun to watch. Up until the point they took Fukn Morgan off TWD to fear!!!!! Get the absolute fuck the hell outta hear. I haven't watched fear since 2-3. Morgan needs to be with Rick. GD it all to hell. I don't like this at all.

Not much story left with Morgan anyway. He’s lived way past his expiration date and it’s finally time.

Now, with that said, I’m very curious on how they plan on explaining this because it doesn’t really make any sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Harleydude666 View Post
    I’ll start it off without any spoilers. Seriously???? That whole Carl story line???? He’s now gonna put his life at stake for a guy he just met because his mother felt it was the right thing to do????? For something so menial, and while he’s in the middle of fighting a war???? Good God the writing is really pathetic and picking up steam by the episode.

I’m losing hope really fast now. How does Gimple and Nicotero not see what’s happening here? I can’t believe they can’t see it or even be on board with this
    It wasn’t that bad. Last season did worse.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 27-Nov-2017 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Comic
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeah, kind of a setup episode for what's to come - getting chess pieces into new places to continue forward. Gregory is always a good time, him snivelling while getting thrown into the makeshift prison was good. Not sure what to think of the new chatty Saviour guy who knocked the rock out of that long-haired asshole's hands ... the long haired one needs snuffing out. Looking forward to that happening some time.

What's with the naked sculpture work? As if the Heapsters couldn't get any weirder.

The dump truck crash was too convenient for my taste. How come Daryl and Tara ended up in the same place, with a dump truck, and hit it at the exact right moment? I liked the idea of the speaker truck - but being that it's been taken out of the running, it's ultimately filler. However, it's not like TWD is the first show in history to have filler, is it?

On the plus side, I'm really enjoying all the Maggie/Gregory stuff.

Am I correct in remembering that they mentioned a while back that they'd be introducing a Muslim character to the show? I assume that'll be Sadiq, then? There'll be plenty of good people out there in the ZA still, so it makes sense to approach possible allies from time-to-time. Not really sure why Carl's chosen this point in time to go yomping off for this mission when he could be at Alexandria helping to hold down the fort just in case.

So Morgan is the crossover character? Eh? So we're losing a favourite character from the main show to go over to the weak spin-off?! I don't understand how this is gonna work. Is there gonna be a dramatic time jump in FTWD with a major move cross-country to boot? I've felt more and more that Fear is a drain on TWD - sapping the attention of producers (and while Gimple is only tangentially involved, one single minute spent working on Fear is to the detriment of the main show). I think that Fear is also adding an element of 'zombie fatigue' to AMC - especially when the show Fear just before premiering TWD.

The better thing would have been to do the spin off after the main show had completed its run, so the focus wouldn't be split both behind the camera and on the sofas in viewers' homes. My issues with Fear have been aired before here on HPOTD. After initially enjoying it, they squandered the entire purpose of the show to simply become 'a poor man's TWD in another location'. There were so many opportunities to do something different with Fear, but they've utterly wasted that chance. Now it's sucking away Morgan? Jog on.

Quote Originally Posted by Harleydude666 View Post
    And what is happening? Sure, there's a few iffy bits here and there - as there have been in previous seasons (and, indeed, all shows have their iffy bits - some certainly more than others - but TWD gets far more right than wrong). I'm really struggling to understand many of the complaints of those who seem so keen on hating the show at the moment, the reasons seem kinda vague ... general fatigue? Might it be more an individual's response more than the show itself?

I feel that Season 8 has so far been stronger than Season 7. It's not perfect, I'm not saying that, and some wobbles could have so easily been side-stepped, but over-the-piece it's going well, I think.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Yeah, kind of a setup episode for what's to come - getting chess pieces into new places to continue forward. Gregory is always a good time, him snivelling while getting thrown into the makeshift prison was good. Not sure what to think of the new chatty Saviour guy who knocked the rock out of that long-haired asshole's hands ... the long haired one needs snuffing out. Looking forward to that happening some time.

What's with the naked sculpture work? As if the Heapsters couldn't get any weirder.

The dump truck crash was too convenient for my taste. How come Daryl and Tara ended up in the same place, with a dump truck, and hit it at the exact right moment? I liked the idea of the speaker truck - but being that it's been taken out of the running, it's ultimately filler. However, it's not like TWD is the first show in history to have filler, is it?

On the plus side, I'm really enjoying all the Maggie/Gregory stuff.

Am I correct in remembering that they mentioned a while back that they'd be introducing a Muslim character to the show? I assume that'll be Sadiq, then? There'll be plenty of good people out there in the ZA still, so it makes sense to approach possible allies from time-to-time. Not really sure why Carl's chosen this point in time to go yomping off for this mission when he could be at Alexandria helping to hold down the fort just in case.

So Morgan is the crossover character? Eh? So we're losing a favourite character from the main show to go over to the weak spin-off?! I don't understand how this is gonna work. Is there gonna be a dramatic time jump in FTWD with a major move cross-country to boot? I've felt more and more that Fear is a drain on TWD - sapping the attention of producers (and while Gimple is only tangentially involved, one single minute spent working on Fear is to the detriment of the main show). I think that Fear is also adding an element of 'zombie fatigue' to AMC - especially when the show Fear just before premiering TWD.

The better thing would have been to do the spin off after the main show had completed its run, so the focus wouldn't be split both behind the camera and on the sofas in viewers' homes. My issues with Fear have been aired before here on HPOTD. After initially enjoying it, they squandered the entire purpose of the show to simply become 'a poor man's TWD in another location'. There were so many opportunities to do something different with Fear, but they've utterly wasted that chance. Now it's sucking away Morgan? Jog on.

And what is happening? Sure, there's a few iffy bits here and there - as there have been in previous seasons (and, indeed, all shows have their iffy bits - some certainly more than others - but TWD gets far more right than wrong). I'm really struggling to understand many of the complaints of those who seem so keen on hating the show at the moment, the reasons seem kinda vague ... general fatigue? Might it be more an individual's response more than the show itself?

I feel that Season 8 has so far been stronger than Season 7. It's not perfect, I'm not saying that, and some wobbles could have so easily been side-stepped, but over-the-piece it's going well, I think.
    I’m not a hater, still wanna love the show. I even thought the episode was good and a change of pace but Carl is just way too smart for that bullshit and it ruined it for me. Smart characters doing dumb things seems to be the mantra this season

Rising

United States
    Was it smart of Rick to go in person to try to cut a new deal with the Garbage Gang? First, Rick & company know well by now how treacherous this bunch are. They can't be trusted. Second, even if Rick has some sort of "master plan" involving these scoundrels, why not send someone else as representative for the negotiations? Rick must have known that they would very likely pull some dirty trick again, like capturing him. Rick is too important for the alliance and has a price on his head (Negan wants him, "alive, if possible; if not, wasted!", to quote Masai from the Gramercy Riffs.) Too risky for him to go pay a visit to these scumbags.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Was it smart of Rick to go in person to try to cut a new deal with the Garbage Gang? First, Rick & company know well by now how treacherous this bunch are. They can't be trusted. Second, even if Rick has some sort of "master plan" involving these scoundrels, why not send someone else as representative for the negotiations? Rick must have known that they would very likely pull some dirty trick again, like capturing him. Rick is too important for the alliance and has a price on his head (Negan wants him, "alive, if possible; if not, wasted!", to quote Masai from the Gramercy Riffs.) Too risky for him to go pay a visit to these scumbags.
    Another terrible writing plot, smart characters now doing stupid things seem to be the theme of the show now

United States
    It’s quite clear Carl isn’t the same character from the comics, they been changed directions. Him helping out a starving stranger isn’t out of character. He even quoted what Lori said she wanted of him before she died.

Now, Rick’s plan is very questionable. I’m gonna reserve judgement until I see how this “master plan” unfolds. Even Norman Reedus said that Rick’s plan is too convoluted and overly complicated. Daryl’s character is showing frustration with it and others are starting to do their own thing. Again, it’s what I like. I really dislike super perfect characters. Rick does a lot of stupid shit and even he would admit he’s not the best leader.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 27-Nov-2017 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Dum dum dum!
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Rick does a lot of stupid shit and even he would admit he’s not the best leader.
    Think back to him in the first episode - a Sheriff, so some responsibility, but with no aspirations to any other role with more power/control/responsibility - who is struggling to keep his marriage together. A partially successful man, you could say, who is thrust into an extraordinary situation where he is forced to take control and do his best.

Yeah - will hold judgment on the Heapsters part of the plan until it all unfolds. I figure he must have communicated it through the letters etc?

Seeing the dark side of Daryl come forth is entertaining, too. Now we've got two favourites who are away from supervision going into dark territory for revenge over the same casualty on their side.

Rosita was a smidge pouty in this episode, you know, a bit petulant. I'd like her to regain some of her cool and react out of emotion a bit less.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Think back to him in the first episode - a Sheriff, so some responsibility, but with no aspirations to any other role with more power/control/responsibility - who is struggling to keep his marriage together. A partially successful man, you could say, who is thrust into an extraordinary situation where he is forced to take control and do his best.

Yeah - will hold judgment on the Heapsters part of the plan until it all unfolds. I figure he must have communicated it through the letters etc?

Seeing the dark side of Daryl come forth is entertaining, too. Now we've got two favourites who are away from supervision going into dark territory for revenge over the same casualty on their side.

Rosita was a smidge pouty in this episode, you know, a bit petulant. I'd like her to regain some of her cool and react out of emotion a bit less.
    I’ll follow Rick anytime. No leader is perfect.

Trying to get the trash people on his side again is a bad move but I trust his instincts. Although, this is a time when they should just illuminate them instead of trying to recruit them again. Is it weird I find Jadis sexy, though?

Daryl’s group of rogues is really interesting but I’m gonna guess they won’t go all the way through with whatever careless plan the four come up with? Will all of them follow through? Hmm.

Rosita is still mad because she just got shot. My favorite Latina gets a pass but dropping the gun was stupid. C’mon now.

Ireland
    FFS, did Rick just get himself captured by the garbage pail kids again? WTF? Just massacre those shit talking pricks and be done with it.

Plus I want to smack Michonne. Stupid clown. That was some thicko nonsense. Cop on.

On the + side, the Maggory scenes were pretty good, but why Greg is still breathing is beyond me. Even more seriously, that long haired prisoner needs to be off'd. If he escapes later to cause trouble further down the road, it'll just be another nail in this show's coffin. It's hard to be supportive of dumb situations like that.

Is it weird I find Jadis sexy, though?
    No.

But why is she named after the white witch?
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    FFS, did Rick just get himself captured by the garbage pail kids again? WTF? Just massacre those shit talking pricks and be done with it.

Plus I want to smack Michonne. Stupid clown. That was some thicko nonsense. Cop on.

On the + side, the Maggory scenes were pretty good, but why Greg is still breathing is beyond me. Even more seriously, that long haired prisoner needs to be off'd. If he escapes later to cause trouble further down the road, it'll just be another nail in this show's coffin. It's hard to be supportive of dumb situations like that.

No.

But why is she named after the white witch?
    Good call didn’t even notice that.

As far as Michonne, they wanted to make her weak due to her beating so they wrote her as a clumsy mess. The sloppy fight was cool with me but most of those scenes just felt a bit off.

Super Moderator

UK
    Rosita is still mad because she just got shot. My favorite Latina gets a pass but dropping the gun was stupid. C’mon now.
    As far as Michonne, they wanted to make her weak due to her beating so they wrote her as a clumsy mess. The sloppy fight was cool with me but most of those scenes just felt a bit off.
    1) Yeah, dropping the gun? Come on. However - the RPG kill redeemed her.

2) Likewise. The 'fat lady' subplot felt a bit off to me as well in this episode. Didn't really go anywhere ... if the fat lady had got away it would have been more purposeful, but it didn't, so it was all wrapped up pretty damn quick. The convenient rubbish truck arrival of Daryl & Tara was too much a flight of fancy, as well. It's as if a subplot like this is compromised by the schedules of some of the actors involved. You've got some actors who are heavily dedicated to TWD, and others who have got a big opportunity in a movie somewhere and so off they go to that - but that means they are only available in certain blocks of time for TWD, and as such the story has to be worked around that, and so you can easily end up with a 'add-on' chunk of story that doesn't sit well enough with the main throughline of the plot. Thoughts?

Perhaps some of these 'going rogue' moments are troublesome because they come from a place that's too emotional for personal reasons (this is very much the case with Rosita, I feel), rather than from an emotional place that is based in the community at large - being stuck on the sidelines is going to be frustrating and you'll want to chip in, especially if you feel things aren't going quite as planned (the loss of The Kingdom), but it would sell better on screen if there was less selfishness involved. We've seen that a few times and it does grate sometimes. You've made it this far into the ZA, you should act smarter than this (and they've often shown that they are capable of being smarter than this). Now, sometimes it makes sense to show some hubris - e.g. Season 6B with Rick & Co arrogantly taking on The Saviours without a real plan. They made an assumption about who The Saviours were and paid a dear price ... but, as such, Rick waltzing in to the Heapster village alone (especially after their previous encounters not going particularly well) was questionable at best.

Let's see where it goes from here, if there really is a bigger plan at hand that we've not privy to just yet.

I'm generally okay with Carl going off to get Siddiq as it is a part of his character and the lessons from Lori etc ... my only issue is that he's supposed to be overseeing Alexandria. The timing of the two doesn't quite work strictly speaking, but oh well.

United States
    That’s a problem with having such a big cast of characters. Both Negan and Michonne suffered this season because of movie roles. (The characters not the actors, good on them on getting work.) It’s pretty damn slick of them to come up with a entire first half only taking place in a couple days so it works. I see fans upset about this but honestly, I rather have 8 good episodes than one amazing premier followed by six episodes of filler.

I rather they gave Michonne and Rosita a story at Alexandria than forcing out into the world against Rick’s wishes. In the narrative, every time they leave like this NOTHING good ever comes from it; yet they keep doing it. Insanity.

That also goes to them penciling in Rosita dropping her gun so they can give her the RPG. Did she really need to drop her gun to get to that? Rosita of all people? Haha.

Aside from that, I’m pretty happy with this season so far. Episode six is usually always set up for the mid season finale and this episode as a whole worked for me. Not the best but I wasn’t expecting it to be.

Also, I agree about Carl. Good material but bad placement.