Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tarantino developing Star Trek 4

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Tarantino developing Star Trek 4

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/j-j-...trek-pitch-226

Earlier this year, Quentin Tarantino stated in an interview that he's a big Star Trek fan and that he'd be interested in developing a new story and possibly even directing. Apparently Abrams and the producers of the new "Kelvin Timeline" films heard about these statements and took them seriously, as a writers room has now been put together to develop Tarantino's ideas.

They had announced Trek 4 around the time "Beyond" was released, saying it would somehow involve Kirk meeting his father, played by Chris Hemsworth(Thor). No word of this is the same story Tarantino is developing or if it's something new all together.

This is definitely a strange pairing, but the possibilities are interesting. They say there's even the possibility of Tarantino directing, but I personally doubt that...

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/j-j-...trek-pitch-226

Earlier this year, Quentin Tarantino stated in an interview that he's a big Star Trek fan and that he'd be interested in developing a new story and possibly even directing. Apparently Abrams and the producers of the new "Kelvin Timeline" films heard about these statements and took them seriously, as a writers room has now been put together to develop Tarantino's ideas.

They had announced Trek 4 around the time "Beyond" was released, saying it would somehow involve Kirk meeting his father, played by Chris Hemsworth(Thor). No word of this is the same story Tarantino is developing or if it's something new all together.

This is definitely a strange pairing, but the possibilities are interesting. They say there's even the possibility of Tarantino directing, but I personally doubt that...
    Meeting his father? Not another time loop/jump story line... PLEASE!!!!!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Meeting his father? Not another time loop/jump story line... PLEASE!!!!!
    I agree, we could definitely do without another time travel story, but I suppose they're just wanting to capitalize on Hemsworth's popularity at the moment.

Time travel has always been a big part of Trek, even the original series has about five episodes involving time travel, but I would prefer that they leave the time travel to the first film in this new rebooted series. It worked well IMO and should be left alone.

I think Tarantino's idea is something new, not involving their original idea of the Kirk's meeting each other.

Administrator

England
    I think Tarantino's idea is something new, not involving their original idea of the Kirk's meeting each other.
    Does it involved shooting every c**k sucking mother f*cking n*gger in the bridge?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Klingon motha f*cka, do you speak it?!?

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Does it involved shooting every c**k sucking mother f*cking n*gger in the bridge?
    LOL! It's what I was thinking he would do. Almost all the movies he makes are some variation on this general theme: foul-mouthed, low-life, and/or tough-hombre characters doing outrageous things and/or mindless acts of violence.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Wow....So we were laughing about a Trek entry with Tarantino's signature violence and language, which is something I just flat out believed to be impossible. But.....Apparently that's exactly wat they're doing?!?

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/quen...rated-r-685-02

Tarantino's first requirement to be able to direct was that he could make it rated R. I'm at a loss for words...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    This is bizarro levels of weird.

Super Moderator

UK
    Well this is curious ... especially when it's the fourth film in the current series where all previous have been PG-13.

He was working on a Manson movie apparently, although that too surprised me, as there's been a couple of those recently (i.e. what's the point in QT doing one as well?). This is an turn up for the books. We're so used to him doing his own stories.

A Tarantino Star Trek movie? Well that's ... unexpected.

Ireland
    These reboot ST films have been absolute crap. But Tarantino doing one will be a new level.

Talk about two things that shouldn't meet.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

Germany

I'm down.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Paramount announced at cinemacon that there are currently TWO Trek films in development, Tarantino’s plus another. Presumably the initial fourth entry idea. So not only are they going with this bizarre R-rated Tarantino film, but they’re also producing another film for realesse around the same time?

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/para...-the-works-318

I’m a Trek fan and enjoy the reboot films for what they are, but just looking at it from a business standpoint, it doesn’t make much sense. While Beyond received good reviews, it’s box office performance was a noticeable drop for the franchise. It certainly didn’t scream “you need to make TWO more of these” to Paramount...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Paramount are tackling this from the wrong angle, though. These three latest Star Treks have been given budgets usually reserved for AAA+ films, like Marvel tentpoles and whatnot. It's just not that kind of franchise. Most likely, neither of these two upcoming films will have budgets in the 150+ range but rather something more fitting like 90m or something like that.

Oh and a Tarantino Star Trek is guaranteed to bring in bucks. It's just that whacky of an Idea.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Dropping the budgets does make a lot of sense. It could even help with the quality of the film if they’re forced to be more creative with a smaller budget. Just look at Wrath of Khan, which is widely considered one of the greats, it was a huge budget drop from the first film.

Administrator

England
    Dropping the budgets does make a lot of sense. It could even help with the quality of the film if they’re forced to be more creative with a smaller budget. Just look at Wrath of Khan, which is widely considered one of the greats, it was a huge budget drop from the first film.
    True:-
    Star Trek The Motion Picture: 35m$
    Star Trek The Wrath of Khan: 11m$
    Star Trek Search For Spock: 17m$

Khan and Search For Spock were a great pair of films IMHO! Love them!
    -Carl Sagan