Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tarantino developing Star Trek 4

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Search for Spock was the weakest of what they considered a trilogy with Wrath, Search, and Voyage Home. I enjoy every entry in the original films for various reasons, even Final Frontier has its moments, being the worst of all six films. I’ve always really loved Undiscovered Country, which doesn’t seem to get enough love, IMO.

Of the reboot films, the first was my favorite, followed by Beyond. I felt like they really got the character interactions perfect in Beyond. Regardless of the negative reactions the reboot films get, I feel like it’s hard to deny that the casting was damn near perfect. I can’t imagine anyone other than Karl Urban playing McCoy. He’s channeling DeForrest Kelly in near perfect ways.

- - - Updated - - -

Well....In the same day they’ve now also announced that SJ Clarkson is on board to direct Trek 4. This is the non-Tarantino film, but Paramount assured that film is still being written and very much in active development. Clarkson is apparently somewhat new to feature films but is an in-demand director of many TV series’, including Dexter, Orange is the New Black, Heroes, Jessica Jones, and The Defenders. To my knowledge, she might be the first female director for a Trek film?

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/star...-to-direct-296

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Well....In the same day they’ve now also announced that SJ Clarkson is on board to direct Trek 4. This is the non-Tarantino film, but Paramount assured that film is still being written and very much in active development. Clarkson is apparently somewhat new to feature films but is an in-demand director of many TV series’, including Dexter, Orange is the New Black, Heroes, Jessica Jones, and The Defenders. To my knowledge, she might be the first female director for a Trek film?

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/star...-to-direct-296
    She'll be the first female director, yes.

In order of films;

Robert Wise, Nicholas Meyer, Leonard Nimoy x2, William Shatner, Nicholas Meyer, David Carson, Jonathan Frakes x2, Stuart Baird, JJ x2 and then Justin Lin.

Administrator

England
    Search for Spock was the weakest of what they considered a trilogy with Wrath, Search, and Voyage Home. I enjoy every entry in the original films for various reasons, even Final Frontier has its moments, being the worst of all six films. I’ve always really loved Undiscovered Country, which doesn’t seem to get enough love, IMO.
    Maybe so, but I still love it... Some great moments...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Maybe so, but I still love it... Some great moments...
    And who could forget Doc Brown as the Klingon Villain?? That alone ranks Search for Spock higher up on the list of the Trek films!

Administrator

England
    And who could forget Doc Brown as the Klingon Villain?? That alone ranks Search for Spock higher up on the list of the Trek films!
    It's got some great great moments...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nZlXngXB64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3s3qvQNuSk
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I think Search for Spock is pretty good. It's the first time we saw some proper modern and fleshed out Klingons. I think the story is interesting. If there's one criticism I'd like to make it's that I wish they'd shot on location rather than on a sound strage, because the set meant to convey the Genesis planet is really not that much better than what they had on the original show.

Ireland
    The worst thing about 'The Search for Spock', is that it brought back Spock, after 'The Wrath of Khan' brilliantly did away with him. Of course Star Trek wouldn't be Star Trek without its best character, but it's just too cheesy to not leave dead people dead.

I like all the films with the old crew. Never got that odd number is bad thing. They were all entertaining.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    The worst thing about 'The Search for Spock', is that it brought back Spock, after 'The Wrath of Khan' brilliantly did away with him. Of course Star Trek wouldn't be Star Trek without its best character, but it's just too cheesy to not leave dead people dead.

I like all the films with the old crew. Never got that odd number is bad thing. They were all entertaining.
    It’s also funny how some of the crew say it was intended to be a permanent death, while others say he was always meant to return. They added the final shot of his casket on Genesis during reshoots, so I’m inclined to believe he was originally meant to be gone for good.

But then of course Nimoy had the greatest bargaining chip when it came to the third film, assuring he would get the director’s chair if they wanted Spock back.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    It’s also funny how some of the crew say it was intended to be a permanent death, while others say he was always meant to return. They added the final shot of his casket on Genesis during reshoots, so I’m inclined to believe he was originally meant to be gone for good.

But then of course Nimoy had the greatest bargaining chip when it came to the third film, assuring he would get the director’s chair if they wanted Spock back.
    Nicholas Meyer (Writer and director of Khan) wanted and intended for the death to be permanent. Harve Bennett, the producer, did not.
    The only reason Bennett agreed to the death in the first place was because it was the only way to get Nimoy onboard, who had had a bad experience with The Motion Picture and felt it was very inhuman (a sentiment shared by many).

But during Khan Nimoy got into it again and was positive in exploring Spock's eventual return once Bennett suggested it to him.
    Meyer threw a fit. But I like Meyer, he seems efficient and determined. I like that.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 04-May-2018 at 01:28 PM. Reason: fsdkfsdlfksdf

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Indeed, I’d seen all of that in the various documentaries and such. But there’s also a little bit of a gray area to it as well because I believe Nimoy says in his book “I Am Spock” that he knew from the start that Spock was not truly dying and that it would give him leverage for the potential third film. He credits Spock’s “death” for his entire directorial career.

Ireland

Yeh, I think Nimoy was done with Spock by that time. He had a bit of relative success with other pictures, like Kaufmann's 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' and felt that his career, sans Spock, was opening up, I reckon. When they said come back for III and you can direct it, he naturally jumped at the chance.

Who wouldn't?
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Yeh, I think Nimoy was done with Spock by that time. He had a bit of relative success with other pictures, like Kaufmann's 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers'
    His best non-Spock movie role. Dr. Kibner was one creepy mofo, even before he became an alien!

and felt that his career, sans Spock, was opening up, I reckon.
    Besides his other movie roles, he had also been enjoying a fair degree of success by appearing in TV shows through the 70s, like Rod Serling's Night Gallery and Columbo, and was even the host & narrator of the popular and long-lived (6 seasons) paranormal/occult/mysteries/oddities TV show In Search Of.
    Last edited by JDP; 07-May-2018 at 01:21 AM. Reason: ;

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    There are some rumors floating around that Danai Guriera(Walking Dead, Black Panther, Avengers 3 & 4) is close to signing on for a role in Clarkson’s sequel. It’s unclear whether she’ll be a villain, an Enterprise crew member, or possibly the ship’s new navigator due to Anton Yelchin’s(Chekov) unfortunate death after Beyond.

They also say that the projected start date for principal photography is in the beginning of 2019, which is later than I’d expected. After all the developments, I’d thought they would begin before the end of this year. Tarantino’s Trek production is expected to begin after that, and they’re saying it’s also another story with the Kelvin Timeline cast, rather than new characters.

As a big fan, I’m so excited to see both of these come to fruition!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    There are some rumors floating around that Danai Guriera(Walking Dead, Black Panther, Avengers 3 & 4) is close to signing on for a role in Clarkson’s sequel. It’s unclear whether she’ll be a villain, an Enterprise crew member, or possibly the ship’s new navigator due to Anton Yelchin’s(Chekov) unfortunate death after Beyond.

They also say that the projected start date for principal photography is in the beginning of 2019, which is later than I’d expected. After all the developments, I’d thought they would begin before the end of this year. Tarantino’s Trek production is expected to begin after that, and they’re saying it’s also another story with the Kelvin Timeline cast, rather than new characters.

As a big fan, I’m so excited to see both of these come to fruition!
    Me too. I'm still totally bewildered regarding as to what the Tarantino-penned film will be about or how it will fit in with the others but I am at the same time super excited.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Now the existence of these two new Trek films are in jeopardy, with the contract negotiations for both Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth breaking down and both parties walking away. Apparently in their steps to reduce production costs, they were offering their stars well below what they’d made previously, completely breaching the established contract with Pine. It makes sense to make these new films cheaper, but Paramount is stupid to not keep their word on the previous salaries they’d agreed to.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/pine...break-down-115